Question About The Manti's "2d".

Digalicious, I think you are going to have to wait until some users have the Manticore in hand to know precisely how the Target Trace helps them beyond sound and TID numbers.  Or you will need to try one and see if it is helpful to you.  Maybe you will just be happy with sounds and watching TID numbers.

And, of course, the Target Trace screen is not the only advantage that the Manticore brings to the table.

24 minutes ago, NAGANT said:

If you detect a Target ID that you aren't interested in, but the ID Map is showing an elongated or irregularly shaped Trace, then there may be an adjacent object that is affecting the accuracy of the Target ID. You can now choose to investigate the target further. 

Ok, but the trace is still just a representation of the TIDs. 

Also, if an "adjacent object is affecting the accuracy of the target ID", like it says in the quote, then that means that the detector can't separate the targets, so it sees the 2 targets as 1 target. As such, you would only have 1 tone, 1 ID, and 1 dot on the trace screen (no elongated trace). Is that not correct? 

The easiest way I can imagine the 2D target ID map being better than just having number/tone target ID. If its an iffy signal and the numbers and tones are jumping all over the place. I'm thinking its either iron falsing or a good target close to iron?, looking at the screen I see a blob on the conductivity line and a smudge in the ferrous zone, I know its a good target next to iron

49 minutes ago, Fell Wanderer said:

The easiest way I can imagine the 2D target ID map being better than just having number/tone target ID. If its an iffy signal and the numbers and tones are jumping all over the place. I'm thinking its either iron falsing or a good target close to iron?, looking at the screen I see a blob on the conductivity line and a smudge in the ferrous zone, I know its a good target next to iron

That's true, but you can easily do the same with TID and/or tones. For example, if the iron is a 4, and the coin is a 50, then you will get a distinct iron tone, and a distinct nonferrous tone. Also, the TID would show a 4 and a 50. So by tone and/or ID, it's easy to know if there is a good target next to iron. 

Well anyway, I guess for some, the trace screen will be a little easier than tones and ID.

12 minutes ago, Fell Wanderer said:

If the numbers are jumping all over because of that, then you wouldn't just see a single blob on the nonferrous line, and a single smudge in the ferrous zone. You would see multiple blobs on the nonferrous line, and multiple smudges in the ferrous zone. In other words, the numbers and trace screen would be equally confusing. Well, I'm pretty certain that is the way the trace screen works 🙂

Your best bet is to look for video's that pertain to your Q's, should be plenty soon.  To get an idea look at the manual text and diagrams about the TT.  They explain what they think it adds to the game.

4 hours ago, Digalicious said:

Ok, but the trace is still just a representation of the TIDs. 

No you are wrong. In disk mode you will not hear a TID for the blanked out areas. Just see the target trace only. 

strick 

46 minutes ago, strick said:

No you are wrong. In disk mode you will not hear a TID for the blanked out areas. Just see the target trace only. 

strick 

Are you saying that if a target is discriminated out, then it still appears on the trace screen? If so, that doesn't mean I'm wrong about the trace being a representation of the TID. It just means you chose for that particular TID to not appear on the TID display. But anyway, if a discriminated out target still appears on the trace screen, then how does that give you more information to choose to either dig or not?

52 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Are you saying that if a target is discriminated out, then it still appears on the trace screen? If so, that doesn't mean I'm wrong about the trace being a representation of the TID. It just means you chose for that particular TID to not appear on the TID display. But anyway, if a discriminated out target still appears on the trace screen, then how does that give you more information to choose to either dig or not?

Yes thats what I'm saying... targets right on the edges of the discriminated out areas may give a slight diggable tone or blip if you will. Targets in the disked out areas will give an iron grunt. 

Hopefully this makes sense. All of us hunt by ear first...we hear a beep then we look at the screen  for a visual ID. If its an iron grunt we don't usually look at the screen. ...bottle caps come to mind..if it sounds scratchy or gives an occasional iron grunt and then shows up in the fringes of the target trace the the chances are it's junk. The target trace is just more info thats all. does that make sense? There are lots of videos on the CTX.. the manticore is like that but faster. 

strick 

• The title was changed to Question About The Manti's "2d".

I now do see a particular scenario in which the ID Map can be beneficial. That scenario would be in identifying ferrous falsing, especially if the iron bias is set very low.

For example, when a detector iron falses, the ID will show the nonferrous number, but the ID Map will show both the ferrous signal and the nonferrous signal. Meaning the ID Map exposes the ferrous falsing, saving you from digging that ferrous target that the regular ID number shows as a nonferrous target.

However, many detectors have a ferrous meter that helps to expose iron falsing. One example of this, is the Legend with its ferrous / nonferrous meter, that shows the amount of both the ferrous and nonferrous material in a left/right bar graph. Some detectors just have a bar meter for the ferrous side, and you look at the regular ID to get the nonferrous number.