Question About The Manti's "2d".

Iffysignals is the guy and tester.  But he's on other peoples vids just answering Q's.  Not going to post other links, not sure how Steve feels about that.  And i  wont get into bashes about people, just interested in the machines.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:10 PM, Digalicious said:

if a discriminated out target still appears on the trace screen, then how does that give you more information to choose to either dig or not?

The target trace screen shows the shape of an object which is extra information. I've seen a video where a gold ring is displayed on the screen as a round blob and a pull tab showing as slightly elongated shape, something numbers or audio tones can't do.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 7:47 AM, Fell Wanderer said:

The target trace screen shows the shape of an object which is extra information. I've seen a video where a gold ring is displayed on the screen as a round blob and a pull tab showing as slightly elongated shape, something numbers or audio tones can't do.

No it doesn't.  An elongated/irregularly shaped plot MAY correlate with an oddly shaped object, but it's just the plot of its 'jumpy' TIDs plus its level of ferrousness vs conductivity.

Have a read of this page on the main MC thread:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/19696-new-minelab-manticore/page/88/

Far as i know so far washers, coins, buttons and round balls will be a round dot.  Non ferrous will be centerline and non ferrous above or below that line.  Where i'm foggy is the smearing.  Stainless i think shows centerline.  mixed items like watches seem to have a tail .  If predominantly non ferrous it should show above or below with a tail toward centerline. vice versa if mostly nonferrous. This is just a semi poor guess though.

6 minutes ago, Geordiedan said:

No it doesn't.  An elongated/irregularly shaped plot MAY correlate with an oddly shaped object, but it's just the plot of its 'jumpy' TIDs plus its level of ferrousness vs conductivity

I'm sure what you are getting at?. What you mentioned doesn't change my observation that the pull tab and gold ring were of different shapes on the screen. My comments were based on whether target trace gave additional infomation, compared to numbers and audio on making a decision whether to dig or not. It allows me to distinguish between a pull tab and gold ring.

2 minutes ago, Fell Wanderer said:

I'm sure what you are getting at?. What you mentioned doesn't change my observation that the pull tab and gold ring were of different shapes on the screen. My comments were based on whether target trace gave additional infomation, compared to numbers and audio on making a decision whether to dig or not. It allows me to distinguish between a pull tab and gold ring.

I'm just pointing out that TT will not "show the shape of an object" as you stated which is being misquoted in a few places.

Objects will have different shapes (and positions) on the TT screen depending on their metallic composition, but that shape won't necessarily be that of the object being detected - and if it does it's more a coincidence than by design.

My last comment was misleading. The shapes of the pull tab and gold ring wont tell me its those objects but rather there is a difference between the two, enough for me whether to dig or not. If I'm on the beach and cherry picking targets, I could ignore odd shapes which are more likely to be objects other than coins and rings.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fell Wanderer said:

My last comment was misleading. The shapes of the pull tab and gold ring wont tell me its those objects but rather there is a difference between the two, enough for me whether to dig or not. If I'm on the beach and cherry picking targets, I could ignore odd shapes which are more likely to be objects other than coins and rings.

On that we're agreed - anything that helps discern the differences between what's down there is a help.  Tones will give much of the same data with jumpy/fuzzy signals but I for one am quite a visual person so the TT screen should hopefully be a help.

Guess we'll find out soon but it'll be practice practice practice for a good old while before ignoring stuff becomes commonplace 🙂

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Geordiedan said:

I'm just pointing out that TT will not "show the shape of an object" as you stated which is being misquoted in a few places.

Objects will have different shapes (and positions) on the TT screen depending on their metallic composition, but that shape won't necessarily be that of the object being detected - and if it does it's more a coincidence than by design.

Thank you for explaining, what you said makes sense with positioning on the screen depends on their metallic composition. I have seen videos where objects bigger than coins and rings had a bigger blob on the screen and I think that would be helpful knowing its less likely to be a good target.