Question About The Manti's "2d".

11 minutes ago, Fell Wanderer said:

Thank you for explaining, what you said makes sense with positioning on the screen depends on their metallic composition. I have seen videos where objects bigger than coins and rings had a bigger blob on the screen and I think that would be helpful knowing its less likely to be a good target.

There seems to be a lot to it as well as purely composition, including orientation in the ground (on an angle can make a more 'smeared' TT shape) and anything irregularly-shaped such as trash or a broken item which would always give a jumpy/erratic TID on a detector will also have a larger/more irregular shaped TT blob.  Some good info in the manual PDF which shows some bottle cap examples and how they can create various TT blobs 🙂

Manual link if you've not seen it yet:

https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/494367/4901-0428-1 Inst Manual, Manticore EN.pdf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fell Wanderer said:

The target trace screen shows the shape of an object which is extra information. I've seen a video on TnSharpshooter's channel where a gold ring is displayed on the screen as a round blob and a pull tab showing as slightly elongated shape, something numbers or audio tones can't do.

Yes, the Target ID's do it, the ring was a solid ID, never moved, the pull tab bounced between a range of 3 or so numbers creating the slightly elongated shape.   Target trace just shows what the Target ID's show and especially the more detailed audio portrays in a visual form.  I like Target Trace a lot but it's not some miracle thing, you already get the same information with the audio/ID's, it's just easier for someone like me to understand when it's in a visual form.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Geordiedan said:

I'm just pointing out that TT will not "show the shape of an object" as you stated which is being misquoted in a few places.

Objects will have different shapes (and positions) on the TT screen depending on their metallic composition, but that shape won't necessarily be that of the object being detected - and if it does it's more a coincidence than by design.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I've seen some items being swung over that did not seem to be a very wide span of I.D. numbers show up as a stretched out item, or oblong when in fact that was their shape. Take a ring pull for instance those don't have a wide I.D. range yet they don't show up completely round. The cartridge case has a tight I.D., but you swing horizontal and it shows it be a longer item. You swing over it vertical it shows narrow and would I.D. the same so I don't see how the shape is controlled exactly by a wide or narrow I.D. spread.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Geordiedan said:

There seems to be a lot to it as well as purely composition, including orientation in the ground (on an angle can make a more 'smeared' TT shape) and anything irregularly-shaped such as trash or a broken item which would always give a jumpy/erratic TID on a detector will also have a larger/more irregular shaped TT blob.  Some good info in the manual PDF which shows some bottle cap examples and how they can create various TT blobs 🙂

Manual link if you've not seen it yet:

https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/494367/4901-0428-1 Inst Manual, Manticore EN.pdf

Thank you for the info, I just seen a video of a crushed aluminium can giving different  traces on the screen, depending on depth and orientation. You are right, theres more to it than just conductivity.

4 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Yes, the Target ID's do it, the ring was a solid ID, never moved, the pull tab bounced between a range of 3 or so numbers creating the slightly elongated shape.   Target trace just shows what the Target ID's show in a visual form.  I like Target Trace a lot but it's not some miracle thing.

Thank you, I'm learning a lot from this forum.

From the videos I've looked at (and I've looked at almost all of them) sometimes the TT seems to be a little different than just a ferrous vs conductive TID number.  I don't claim to know why but sometimes it looks as though the width is outside the TID numbers flashed on the screen.

BTW, phrunt did you get your Manticore this week?

5 minutes ago, PSPR said:

BTW, phrunt did you get your Manticore this week?

I am using a dealer I don't normally shop with as my normal dealer sold his business and the new owners seem to be going through a few learning curves being new to retail and didn't seem organised enough to get in the Manticore queue in time.  The dealer I'm using said they expected them to arrive by Friday (today) and then they were shipping them overnight to customers so I paid them immediately when they said they're now accepting payments due to the pending arrival, I emailed them Wednesday to check if it's all going to plan and have not yet had a reply, turns out they were closed Wednesday due to lack of staff from Covid so I really don't know, I figured they'd reply to an email but maybe not, I'm not a regular shopper with them so I don't know much about their customer service.  

As I watched some of the target shape videos, I noticed that the 2D shape changed with the height the coil was off the target. The higher the coil (or more depth), the more rounded the blob became. So it does indeed look like target depth and orientation will play a big roll in the way targets look on the 2D screen. While it should work very well for shallow targets, at extreme depth the 2D screen may be useless.