Axiom Wireless Headphone Report With Options

Glad you made the upgrade. I run the WR-1/WT-1 combination on both my Vista X & Tarsacci. I use the same Z Lynk Pin Pointer for both. No problem pairing right up with either detector. I have Killer Bs for each that I really like.

• Like 1

Thanks for the post, Steve.  I discovered the Garrett Wireless system a while ago and love it!  The only thing lacking is either an external speaker that could be plugged in or better yet, having it built into the receiver.

Walt

4 hours ago, Bohemia Miner said:

The only thing lacking is either an external speaker that could be plugged in or better yet, having it built into the receiver.

Definitely an issue with other detectors but at least with the Axiom it has the speaker built in, and plenty of volume to boot.  

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 4:42 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Z-Lynk is a 17ms high speed wireless option, much faster than Bluetooth, and being proprietary to Garrett, pairs instantly.

So very similar to the WM08 for the Equinox? 

Shame the Axiom doesn't ship with the WR-1 in the standard package.  

But, at least they are available, they are reasonably priced and the transmitter is built in to the Axiom. 

Garrett and the Axiom - continuing to tick all the right boxes!  

1 hour ago, Northeast said:

So very similar to the WM08 for the Equinox? 

Shame the Axiom doesn't ship with the WR-1 in the standard package.  

But, at least they are available, they are reasonably priced and the transmitter is built in to the Axiom. 

Garrett and the Axiom - continuing to tick all the right boxes!  

Speed is similar. The module is smaller, and considering the ability to pair a pinpointer with the system, or other detectors, and far lower price, I'd say better. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 12/6/2022 at 5:42 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Wow, I wish I had done this sooner! I got a Garrett WR-1 wireless module for my Axiom some time back, but never seemed to get around to giving it a spin. I use the external speaker most of the time, and the rare times I needed headphones I've preferred to plug in my Sun Ray Pro Gold wired phones. Not only do the Sun Ray have better audio quality than the Garrett MS-3 wireless phones included with the Axiom, but I never need to worry if they are charged. They are always in my kit ready to go. Most importantly, I like dual volume controls due to hearing loss in my right ear. I can use phones without dual controls, but prefer them when I have them.

Let's call my 150 ohm Sun Ray Pro Gold as a 10 rating for audio quality. I'd rate the 8 ohm Garrett wireless MS-3 as included with the Axiom as an 8, just very good, not bad, not great. They actually are a good match for the external speaker on the Axiom, as it is hard to really say the headphones sound much different than the speaker, other than being closer to the ear and having sound exclusion properties for background noise. So again, I prefer the external speaker for most use because it has a LOT of volume. For anything else I preferred my Sun Ray Pro Gold.

The only problem there is I do want to be wireless with my headphones. Being wired to the detector is a real pain, especially when I put it on the ground. Enter the Garrett WR-1 wireless module, a quite compact receiver for the proprietary Garrett Z-Lynk audio built into the Axiom. Z-Lynk is a 17ms high speed wireless option, much faster than Bluetooth, and being proprietary to Garrett, pairs instantly. Garrett even has a wireless version of their pinpointer that works seamlessly with the system - very nice! The only issue I have seen in that like many 2.4 Ghz systems the signal does not penetrate solid objects well. If you experience audio drop out with the MS-3, pay attention to the detector positioning when it is happening. Reversing the headphone on your head may help, as will setting the detector away or more ahead of you when it is on the ground.

I just gave the WR-1 a test run, and I love it! I was worried that maybe the audio quality issue with the MS-3 was related to the wireless signal itself not transmitting the full audio spectrum. Luckily that is not the case. My Sun Ray Pro Gold sound every bit as good plugged into the WR-1 as they do plugged into the detector itself. This is really good news. It means you can go wireless on the Axiom with any headphone you want. I have a couple sets of wired Bose earbuds I really like for hot weather. They work great with a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter - the WR-1 is 1/4" unlike many Bluetooth wireless modules, since it was made especially for metal detector headphone options. Best of all, the volume can be controlled by the Axiom itself since the ear buds have no volume control. Just like the Sun Ray, they sound great with the WR-1, better than the MS-3.

If anyone does have issues with headphone/detector positioning and audio drops with the MS-3, this eliminates that completely since you can place the receiver box anywhere. I just stick it in my pocket, but it can go anywhere you want it that the detector cord will reach.

The icing on the cake is Garrett makes a WT-1 Z-Lynk transmitter than can turn any detector into a Z-Lynk compatible detector when used with the WR-1. I am ditching my slower Bluetooth transmitter box and getting a WT-1 for use with my other detectors. It's a great system, see the details here for all the various options. And yes, the Garret wireless pinpointer will pair simultaneously to the WT-1 so you get wireless audio from both the detector and the pinpointer through your headphones of choice.

I'm saving the best for last. The WR-1 with USB charging cable is only $67.95 and for anyone wanting to convert other detector to Z-Lynk, the WT-1 transmitter with 1/4" adapter and USB charging cable is also only $67.95. Both can be bought together as a package with a nice carry case for $140.95

Anyway, I am totally sold on the WR-1 with my own choice of headphones as being the only way to go, and for any detector that needs it, I will use the WT-1 also. My old White's DFX just went wireless! :smile:

garrett-wr1-wireless-module-for-axiom.jpg

garrett-wr1-wireless-module.jpg

Advice please Steve seriously thinking of this set up for the Manticore ( which is being delivered today) I live in Europe and would have to use international shipping for the Sunrays, I have only read great reviews for them, I have hearing issues in one ear so need dual volume control. So, I know its an individuals choice but I have no way of trying them out over here and I am not confident that the Gray Ghost NDT's are my best choice,  as I value your wisdom and advice I would appreciate a guiding hand, thx.

3 hours ago, Chesroy said:

Advice please Steve seriously thinking of this set up for the Manticore ( which is being delivered today) I live in Europe and would have to use international shipping for the Sunrays, I have only read great reviews for them, I have hearing issues in one ear so need dual volume control. So, I know its an individuals choice but I have no way of trying them out over here and I am not confident that the Gray Ghost NDT's are my best choice,  as I value your wisdom and advice I would appreciate a guiding hand, thx.

I don’t know what to say except that the Sun Ray works very well for me. Probably the last wired model I’ll ever own, since my old set keeps on going, and I have a brand new pair already waiting in line in case the old ones ever die. Be sure to get the special universal version that will work in any metal detector made. A bonus with the Sun Ray is leather muffs instead of sweaty vinyl. But mainly really great hearing aid certified audio :smile:

From Amazon

8AB74D62-6370-46A6-BCA0-F1B96833DAA9.jpeg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chesroy said:

See this (particularly point #2 in the first post):

I suppose it's possible my Z-Lynk T/R pair are under performing when it comes to the sound amplitude, or even that I don't have everything set up correctly (which I doubt, but it's not out of the question).  I have an independent amplifier I've used for another detector but haven't tried that in series with the Z-Lynks + Pro Golds.  But it's extra cost, etc. to include that.

• Thanks 1

I just tried my Universal Pro Golds (previously called the CTX version) on my Axiom with the WR-1. I set the headphone volume knobs on full and then set the detector volume at a reasonable level of loud but not too loud. For my ear at least that ended up being 15 out of possible 25, so quite a bit of room left to go higher.

I normally run the detector volume on max and adjust the headphone volume, but did it this way so there would be a number to refer to rather than "knob set at 3/4" or some such thing.

CTX adjust switch is loudest at center setting, quieter at bottom setting, and silent on top setting.

• Like 2