Mineral Preparation Services

I am looking to clean some of my specimens that I have found over the years with hydroflouric acid. Done enough research to know not to mess with this nasty acid. I have been able to locate two mineral preparation labs, one in Colorado Collectors Edge and Voelter Minerals...Texas. I am not comfortable sending them via air mail . If anyone knows of anyone in California who does this type of stuff I think a few of us would use this service if its available.

Hi AuWanderer, I clean all my gold including specimens with a product called Whink.  Most hardware stores and even WalMart carry this product.  It is 1-2% Hydrofluoric Acid.  In just a few days my gold is clean, but not polished clean.  Removes the iron staining, some host rock and the black, which I was told is Manganese.  I have even noticed, that on the more brittle quartz and gold pieces, after a few days, the quartz will begin to release.  I'm very possessive of my gold, so I do everything in house :)

You might also try looking through the ICMJ magazine.

Brian.

• Like 1

What Brian and then Steve said--Whink from Walmart.  Will eat away all the quartz if you leave the specimen in for a month or so and change the Whink occasionally.  Remember though, only use plastic and not your wife's porcelain or glass bowls, it etches that too.  We've never had any accidents or problems with it.

Gary

• Like 1

Just took your advice and got Whink, amazing stuff....it cleaned up all the iron and looks like it even removed some quartz on surface exposing much more gold. I left it in for about 12 hours and it did a great job. Used to use CLR, Whink works much better and faster!! Appreciate your help....

• Like 1