11” X 13” Coil

Carolina

Nice hunt Carolina. 👍 I see you noticed the ID accuracy as well, and the weight difference to the 11" really is nothing much. Glad you got some gold for your trouble, it wasn't that nice a day today.

Thanks for this honest review!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice hunt. I like the gold cross. The D2 sounds good. The M has me interested. I don't know which one.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Carolina said:

Finally got out with my 11x13 coil. I found it no more fatiguing than the 11” I normally swing at the beach. Was a tough day with few targets  that was not coil related I think. I spent to much time in the wash digging lead before I finally realized where things laid. Lead was extremely deep in the 15” range judging by the depth of my 720i scoop. The target ID’s on all my targets were spot on. One thing that stood out differently than the 11” was, large iron ( say 4” x 1/2” thick square ) seemed to overwhelm the software a bit. The 06, 07, 08 signals for masked coins cleared up when I ran disc. 8.0 and notch at 10. I noticed 10” roughly deep targets, while pin pointing by X ing the targets, coin size targets would ping about 3” in front of center and 3” back of center of the coil. So I would say at the 10” depth I had roughly 6” of coverage. I think that is quite a bit more than the 11”. I have never taken my 9” coil to the beach but I’m sure it is no where near that either. Again, my normal 4 hr spin was no mor fatiguing with the 13” than the 11”. Well, good luck everybody and for those who wish to know, these were my settings. Beach sensitive, 95 sens, disc 8.0, salt 7, iron vol. 2, reactivity 1, notch 10,  pitch, B caps 3, silencer 0, tracking off magnetic accept. On a side note, one thing I do not like is that small a$$ 1/4” plastic bolt for the coil. 🤔

Congrats on the gold cross and thanks for your review of the 13" coil. Between yours and F350's reviews, I've pretty much decided to get one.

One a side note, you mentioned you ran Disc at 8 and Notch at 10 to eliminate coin masking. I know the Disc at 8 would make 06, 07, 08 sound off with the iron tone, but wouldn't the Notch at 10 just blank out 00-10, or is that the purpose?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I know the Disc at 8 would make 06, 07, 08 sound off with the iron tone, but wouldn't the Notch at 10 just blank out 00-10, or is that the purpose?

That is the purpose. It works on dimes and pennies but not with big iron. I only had dimes and pennies masked. The cross was not masked so I don’t know how it acts with gold. Also the big iron overwhelmed the software while using the 13” coil. Not sure about the 11”. Also this was my first spin with the 13” so please don’t hold my feet to the fire. I only posted my findings. I also post to try and help everyone. I guess I do have the option of just keeping things to myself. People here seem to be awfully hostile now that the new Minelab machines are out. Good luck to everybody no matter what your preference is.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Well I for one appreciate you and everyone else on this forum who share their experiences and information. That's what makes this community great!

I was curious about the disc vs notch thing regarding masking/unmasking. There has been some buzz about it recently online and I'm still trying to get my head around it. Thanks for your insights.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2022 at 8:26 PM, Carolina said:

That is the purpose. It works on dimes and pennies but not with big iron. I only had dimes and pennies masked. The cross was not masked so I don’t know how it acts with gold. Also the big iron overwhelmed the software while using the 13” coil. Not sure about the 11”. Also this was my first spin with the 13” so please don’t hold my feet to the fire. I only posted my findings. I also post to try and help everyone. I guess I do have the option of just keeping things to myself. People here seem to be awfully hostile now that the new Minelab machines are out. Good luck to everybody no matter what your preference is.

Please keep posting your observations! Please don't let the immaturity of a few poison the well. Truthfully I'm so sick of the manticore, minelab, codan, equinox 900 etc., at this point. People need to just go detect at this point instead of crying over the marketing of a detector. As a beach hunter I'm on the fence about getting the 13" and your opinion is important in my purchase of one as is F350, and Captain. I look forward to your reports.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/7/2022 at 2:02 PM, CPT_GhostLight said:

Congrats on the gold cross and thanks for your review of the 13" coil. Between yours and F350's reviews, I've pretty much decided to get one.

One a side note, you mentioned you ran Disc at 8 and Notch at 10 to eliminate coin masking. I know the Disc at 8 would make 06, 07, 08 sound off with the iron tone, but wouldn't the Notch at 10 just blank out 00-10, or is that the purpose?

On 12/7/2022 at 11:26 PM, Carolina said:

looking for more info on this.... you're saying if you just discrim to 8 without notching to 10, that iron under 8 will come in as iron and mask higher TIDS? but if you notch up to 10 it will silence the iron and let the higher TIDS come through?

also ive been hunting a lot with magnetic rejected and starting to realize i may be getting some serious masking myself. hard to find good information on magnetic accept/reject. so any info on that would be appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

I got the 11x13 also and took it for a spin tonight. I did not notice any TID differences but coins seemed to ping much harder. I did get one repeatable 99 signal that ended up a tiny piece of iron. I hadn't had that happen w the 9 inch coil and it seemed quite odd. As for bottle caps, it treated them just like the 9 inch coil, which i am stoked about.

As for comfort... the 13 is much heavier than the 9 inch coil but didnt feel like i was gonna get tired. I didnt feel the need for a counter balance but im 38 with no arm or shoulder issues. I do have a shoulder strap to help if i need it.

I just love that a second coil is always fully charged and ready to go now, I'll have more time to mess w it tomorrow if the rain decides to stop for a bit!

• Like 3