Detector Seminar at Happy Camp, CA on May 16

Copied from http://bb.bbboy.net/thenew49ers-viewthread?forum=1&thread=1564

Club members and non-members alike come to Happy Camp every year to search for the elusive yellow metal (gold). Because of the recent ban on suction dredging, many have turned to other means of prospecting and mining. High banking, crevicing and panning are popular.

Many folks also bring a metal detector with them. But in talking to folks along the river I find that most people are not proficient in the use of their detector. In this respect the club has invited one of the most respected metal detectorists in the country to hold a metal detecting seminar at our office in Happy Camp on May 16, 2014 at 1:00 pm.

His name is Steve Herschbach. Steve is the former owner of Alaska Mining and Diving in Anchorage, Alaska. He is an acknowledged expert in the field of metal detecting and has “hands on” experience with just about every metal detector ever made.

Steve has not only sold many different kinds of detectors as a dealer, but has also used them and done innumerable equipment reviews on different models. Nugget shooting is his passion.

If you would like to learn about metal detecting for gold or other types of things, like jewelry or coins and would like to get the best use out of your metal detector, this is the event to attend.

Steve’s metal detecting seminar will coincide with another event the club has planned for May 16, 2014, that is a demonstration of various concentrate clean up equipment. Bring your cons, we’ll run them through the various equipment and see which clean up equipment you like best.

Jim_Alaska

Wow, I've used almost every detector ever made! Well, not by a long shot obviously but it sounds good. Anyway, it is just a speaking presentation similar to what I did at the ICMJ Mining Summit but shorter. At the Mining Summit I spent two hours afterwards answering questions so this one will be geared towards Q&A since there is no projector facility.

Mostly an excuse for me to visit Happy Camp and meet folks.

Looking forward to meeting you Steve.  I'm heading down in a couple weeks to scratch around in the bedrock.  Will also be using my recently acquired used ATX.  So the timing of your seminar is perfect.  I'm used to swinging the Gold Bug's, but not a PI, so I'm sure there will be a lot of info I can use.

See on the 16th.

Steve K.

Hi Steve, I bought a MXT PRO from you when you were still in Alaska as I was lucky enough to go to Ganes Creek the last year they were open. Found a nice nugget as a rookie! Looking forward to meeting you in person in Happy Camp as I am a member that used to dredge every summer until it was banned. Now I am working on detector skills. Just purchased a ATX and am looking forward to using it. Will be driving down from Seattle on Thursday and staying until Sunday if you want to go looking for gold I would love to tag along and pick up any tips I could!   See you then, David Frickelton

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave and Steve,

Sorry so late to reply, been busy with family. I am driving up early tomorrow and have a room in Yreka tomorrow night so basically am only at Happy Camp for the afternoon/evening but will be happy to see you all and see what we can do detector-wise. I am happy to work with folks in the afternoon one on one with detectors as much as people and time allow. See you tomorrow!

Hello Steve. It was a pleasure to hear you speak of CA gold resources and some tails from your past experiences. Beautiful country and an amazingly scenic drive up to Happy Camp! I am thinking of joining for the great family camping experience available on their riverfront claims. It was interesting to hear you talk of digging all targets...I have been focused on only the faint and non ferrous signals...makes me wonder what I have been missing? Probably more trash but maybe "the big one". Thanks for your time and good luck in Chicken this summer. Matt

Good morning all!

Steve, I was wondering how the seminar went at Happy Camp.

I hope my friend Stan was able to attend it.

Best wishes!

Rattlesnake Jim

Well, I finally got to meet Steve Herschbach! After reading his writings and arguing on forums for many years, we finally got to meet.

A very nice guy, great seminar, learned a few things even though I've been metal detecting since high school.

We had a few laughs about forum etiquette (or the lack of it). Lol

I hope next time Steve we can get out and do some detecting for those elusive litte gold rocks!

Have a great and successful time when you go to Alaska soon!

Alan