New Minelab Flagship Super Gold Detector

Ah, the OZ Forums. Look, but if you don't have a very thick skin - don't touch. Here in Arizona, most all plants have thorns. Falling off your horse onto a cholla cactus here may or may not be worse than the verbal "thrashing" folks get on some forums over there.

Still, they are the largest English speaking group of die-hard gold hunters in the world and clearly have bragging rights for the horrible mineralization of some of their ground and the size of the monster nuggets which have been found. I'd take my hat off to them, but skin cancer is always a risk.

Thanks Steve,

I was a bit concerned I'd get taken to the woodshed for my usual over analysis - spiced with unprincipled speculation.

In this case however, ML has promised something entirely new. We can only wait.

As far as First Texas, I think there are at least a couple of years out on the PI front. Their corporate head of sales and marketing Tim Mallory recently said.

"... we have 15 seasoned engineers. Still it takes 3 to 5 years to get a new platform to the intro stage. Let me just say, a PI is in the works."

Hopefully he's just being cautious.

Yes Rick, but think - how many years was Fisher already working on the PI when that statement was made? However, given the way recent model introductions have gone one can only imagine the disaster that might result with something totally new at First Texas. Love the crew there but they do some real head scratching stuff at times.

I see that the GPX/SDC bundle deal has hit here in the US as well. Rob's site has it anyway.

http://forums.nuggethunting.com/index.php?/topic/11053-huge-savings-starts-today-gpx-5000-sdc-2300-749500/

Of course, it's a red hot deal if you want both. Folks in OZ, where this deal has been on offer for 10 days or so, are teaming up to "share" - one guy taking the GPX and another taking the SDC.

The other consideration is that this may very well mean that the new superdetector will really be based on entirely new technology and that pure PI detectors will be eclipsed if not obsoleted.

Exciting times.

• 3 weeks later...

Found this on and Aussie Forum...seems Minelab is getting ready! It was on their web site where this comparison was found but not any longer.

LuckyLundy

IMPORTANT NOTE FROM STEVE HERSCHBACH - This is an unusual situation. In case you have not figured it out, Minelab has a new flagship detector in the works. A mistake was made that put the specs up live on the Minelab website, where screenshots were captured and specs posted online, including here. Minelab has requested that the information be deleted as it is not vetted for public release at this time, and out of respect for their wishes I have complied with this request. However, the deletion of the screenshot and spec list from the other website is as far as this editing goes. Those that have seen the information may feel free to continue to post about it or speculate on it. You saw what you saw and I am not going to play whack-a-mole or do anything else by way of dealing with the information leak. My sincere apologies to Lucky Lundy for modifying the post as I do really appreciate seeing it! However, it does appear to have been an honest mistake by somebody and I have no wish to cause them any grief beyond whatever they are already suffering.

Well, FCC filings, trademarks, specs accidently going live on the Minelab website, there can be no doubt that after five long years we are close to seeing what Minelab has been working on for so long. They used to go about 2 years between models. My first GPX 5000 I sold in the fall of 2012 thinking surely a new machine would come out in the spring of 2013. After all, it had been three years since the release of the GPX 5000 at that time. But no, it was not to be, so I purchased another GPX 5000 new in the spring of 2013.

Now it is for sure something new is on the way and so my GPX 5000 just went up for sale - again. I have not used it since I came back from Alaska in July anyway, my preference being to use my SDC 2300. The only thing my SDC lacks is ground coverage, so I am getting the 15" x 20" mono for my ATX to make sure I am covered in that regard. I have immediately upgraded to every new model Minelab since the SD 2200 and have never once regretted it. I am willing to bet I will not regret it this time either. I think 2015 is going to be a very interesting year for electronic prospecting.

I hope the 7000 is not true to form regarding the price.......I also wonder if the 5000 will be discontinued

I was rather shocked at how expensive the SDC 2300 turned out to be, and was initially convinced nobody would pay that much money for a detector with an 8" hardwired coil. Now I can't imagine not having my SDC - it works that well. That's the key - at least some people will pay the price if the new machine delivers the goods.

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out the GPZ 7000 will probably set a new record for consumer detector pricing. That being the case there is no reason the GPX cannot remain for those not willing to spend whatever it turns out to be. The fact remains, the GPX 5000 is one great all around gold performer and that will not change.

• Like 1