Analog Vs Digital

On 12/10/2022 at 4:34 PM, BigSkyGuy said:

For me, the main advantage to the older analog detectors is the lack of a meter. It is much easier to be more disciplined to dig all nonferous items when you do not have the option to cherry pick or to pass up "obvious" pull tab or foil signals, especially when tired. I have found more gold rings with analog machines than with digital.

I was at the Portland, Oregon Gold Show a few years back and a guy was looking for a second Original Gold Bug for his wife.  I told him about the new Digital model.  He didn’t want that. His buddy had one.  He then pulled out a large piece of Magnetite with gold attached.  He said his buddy went over it and because it registered as iron on the screen, he passed on by.  This fellow came behind him and dug the target.  He told me he didn’t want “no screen”!  Too bad I didn’t keep his info.  I told him Original Bugs were scarce and wished him luck.  

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 5:34 PM, BigSkyGuy said:

For me, the main advantage to the older analog detectors is the lack of a meter. It is much easier to be more disciplined to dig all nonferrous items when you do not have the option to cherry pick or to pass up "obvious" pull tab or foil signals, especially when tired. I have found more gold rings with analog machines than with digital.

I have to say this is so true if you are looking for reasons not to investigate a target any further.  What I mean by that is if i'm looking for jewelry like gold / platinum rings, my target ID's are going to be in the foil/US Nickel/pull-tab/square tab range. 18k and up rings can get into the zinc penny range. It wasn't until i changed my viewpoint to these target ID's being desirable that I started having a lot more success finding rings.

Now I hunt areas where it is more likely for jewelry to be lost AND i hope for target ID signals in that "jewelry" target ID area. For me, having a meter and some audio target ID helps me find more of that jewelry stuff. You have to think positive about targets under the coil.

Rich - 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, UtahRich said:

I have to say this is so true if you are looking for reasons not to investigate a target any further.  What I mean by that is if i'm looking for jewelry like gold / platinum rings, my target ID's are going to be in the foil/US Nickel/pull-tab/square tab range. 18k and up rings can get into the zinc penny range. It wasn't until i changed my viewpoint to these target ID's being desirable that I started having a lot more success finding rings.

Now I hunt areas where it is more likely for jewelry to be lost AND i hope for target ID signals in that "jewelry" target ID area. For me, having a meter and some audio target ID helps me find more of that jewelry stuff. You have to think positive about targets under the coil.

Rich - 

Sound Advice, Rich!

I am still using my tube amps for my guitars for a reason.  Just like some of my detectors are old school for a reason.

I agree on example of GB2.   The original is pretty darn good right why change, but that’s how they get you.  Shiny new gadget gets them all the time.  Everyone sees with their eyes first, but that doesn’t mean it’s always right.  Still in my mind I like the old saying ‘use your ears and listen to what the machine is telling you’.  It worked.  

Just an analog man living in a digital world.  Of course I do digital with my job too, but gravitate more to analog now.  Must be getting older.

• Like 3

On 12/10/2022 at 3:39 PM, blackjack said:

First off there is no such thing as a dumb question

Thank you but yes there is.

While working at a hardware store in my late teens, a contractor handed me a door hinge and told me to ask my boss if was right or left-handed.  You should have seen the look on his face!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey BM yes you do have a point, I also worked in a hardware store in my late teens, while I may of hesitated when someone asked for a can of striped paint, I was pretty green. Sadly hardware stores have become Machardwares over here with mostly junior staff. Make the mistake of asking for advice and they start reading the box.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, PI-Man said:

I am still using my tube amps for my guitars for a reason.  Just like some of my detectors are old school for a reason.

I agree on example of GB2.   The original is pretty darn good right why change, but that’s how they get you.  Shiny new gadget gets them all the time.  Everyone sees with their eyes first, but that doesn’t mean it’s always right.  Still in my mind I like the old saying ‘use your ears and listen to what the machine is telling you’.  It worked.  

Just an analog man living in a digital world.  Of course I do digital with my job too, but gravitate more to analog now.  Must be getting older.

It's true for me that I now look rather than listen, I think I should go back to basics. After all a 1970's Marantz amp suits me fine and my U.S. made Electro-voice interface 3 speakers sound amazing. When I was running my old Garrett Groundhog I could easily tell the difference between ferrous - non ferrous and a hot rock, just on sound. Steve's duct tape reference did require some pondering, a bit slow at times.

• Like 1