One thing about gold if it comes across a crack it will fall in it. I don’t know if you got access to a vac with a two cycle engine on a 5 gallon bucket but sure could help you a lot.. You can take this to the bank in if you find a nugget you going to find some fine gold. I know it’s more to carry but but just maybe double your take. If you just run the vac only when you need it you can cut down on the amount of gas needed. Fill up the vac before leaving and a small gallon plastic can should be more than enough.

The Best To You!

Chuck 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

I don’t know if you got access to a vac

Hey RR.  Definitely would be helpful but unfortunately (or fortunately) we are not allowed to use vacs or any sort of dredge in Australia.  

Unfortunately because it would be cool to give it a go and a tiny dredge would not do a great deal of damage.  

Fortunately because I am a bit of a greenie and the mess left behind by big suction dredging and whole scale working of rivers is both damaging to flora and fauna and very ugly to look at - often in what should be pristine and protected environments.  

Just my personal opinion, please don’t hang me for it  😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blackjack said:

but we have worked one area where some of the crevices running parallel were better than some that ran across

I wonder if at some time in the past, if on a valley floor, the water may have actually run 90 degrees to where it now runs and therefore the parallel crevices were at one time cross crevices?  Not sure if that’s possible on the location of which you speak?  

I know the river I intend to work the most has quite a wide valley floor and at some time in the past the river would have flowed right across the floor and at all different angles. 

• Like 2

Northeast  

It’s more than one way to skin a cat 🐱.

You can make one yourself are maybe buy one and this a suction pump that’s made out of pvc . Just do a search on what I’m talking about. 
 I’ve never had the need for one but it works fair pulling material out of cracks when a vac is not available.

We have one of the major gold states you can’t use a dredge anymore. So we can relate to your problem. 
If can find a picture of what I’m talking about I’ll post it for you.

Chuck 

• Like 2

Northeast  

I’m back but the one I’m showing is on the high side but more to it . They make one lots cheaper but it’s just the pump and you drop in a bucket yourself. Here is both found on Amazon.

Hope this helps you.

Chuck 

639CDE61-7E7F-40BD-8169-F2BD6369907F.jpeg

0801B376-170F-4703-BA0A-78F622A8D878.jpeg

• Like 5

You can make different tips to reach down in those cracks that you can’t get to.

If you make one yourself have it that you can use more than one tip . On pvc to make it flatter just heat it like I do in the kitchen oven. When hot enough flatten it like you want and run cold water on it. This will set it just like you want.

Please post on whatever you buy are make.

Chuck 

• Like 3

You can see that Art was not my best class. 
 The Chinese made their own sluice and it may not have beauty but it worked for them.

The board that I show is a 1 X 6 but like said you can use whatever you want. The cuts across the board is a electric saw blade width and a 1/4 deep but you can make a cut deeper if want but too deep will weaken the board. You could use a 1 X 8 are wider if want. I’d have the sides stick up about 1 1/2 inches on the side.

If you make the sluice too much over two feet it could get heavy but 3 feet should be good.

You will catch material in the first two ruffles and they to slow that nugget down to drop in the next one. If you want to cut it over two blade width you could repeat this every other one.

It’s nothing cut in stone on making it.

One Hung Low had luck with it so why not you!?

Chuck 

244F70B8-9826-4DB9-AB5D-F3DCC7131A35.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My first thought was also the small hand dredge.  If and when I crack scratch down by the creek I've used a small hand dredge, they work well.....  You can make them super small too out of just about any sized plastic bottle, etc. for tight cracks.....

• Like 2

Oneguy

What you’re talking about is that something like a big sucker bottle like the one when getting gold out of your gold pan only several times bigger?

I could see it would work if the bottle after squeezing would pop back out like your small sucker bottle.

Thanks Oneguy.

Chuck 

• Like 1

When I first got into prospecting and finding gold I wish I’d known just some of equipment I could have made . I was in the Air Force and first duty station was just out of Merced at Castle AFB .

As my stepfather would say I didn’t have a pot to pee in are a window to throw it out at the time.

Chuck 

• Like 2