Blackjack  

I’d have to say I love dredging more than detecting for gold.

If the powers that be would let the dredgers back to dredging we would clean up our rivers of mercury. The first and main reason is that mercury has gold in it and no dredger is going to throw gold away .

It’s surprising just how big gold can be but still float.

The Best To You Blackjack.

Chuck 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

You can see that Art was not my best class. 
 The Chinese made their own sluice and it may not have beauty but it worked for them.

The board that I show is a 1 X 6 but like said you can use whatever you want. The cuts across the board is a electric saw blade width and a 1/4 deep but you can make a cut deeper if want but too deep will weaken the board. You could use a 1 X 8 are wider if want. I’d have the sides stick up about 1 1/2 inches on the side.

If you make the sluice too much over two feet it could get heavy but 3 feet should be good.

You will catch material in the first two ruffles and they to slow that nugget down to drop in the next one. If you want to cut it over two blade width you could repeat this every other one.

It’s nothing cut in stone on making it.

One Hung Low had luck with it so why not you!?

Chuck 

244F70B8-9826-4DB9-AB5D-F3DCC7131A35.jpeg

If only the people who buy miners moss, dream matt etc. knew that nearly everything will catch gold. People here in Australia buy pay dirt i.e. dirt with gold in it to 'practice' their panning, without working out that it's actually hard to loose a piece of gold when panning.

• Like 1

One don’t have to go to that expense of buying cons that’s if you can get your hands on some birdshot out of a shotgun shell. If you can get some lead you can make your own.

I’d just count the number of shot I had in my pan so you know if any was lost while panning.

The pans we have today out shine any metal pan I started out with.

Chuck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Northeast said:

Yep, can use a small sluice and can use a high banker.  Can use mechanical stuff to shift water (for the highbanker) but not to extract gravels.   Any extraction is hand tools only.

We also have excluded streams - about 70 of them - where no form of prospecting is apparently allowed.  That is a bit of a grey area though as it is a very old rule and actually speaks to ‘occupation’ for the purpose of prospecting or something to that effect.

Unfortunately, yes.  Bit like our miners right stating the need to re-fill your holes when detecting and that still doesn’t get done  🙄

Interesting to hear that you can use mechanical means to shift water in Vic. I wonder what the rules are in other states ? There seems to be a lot of gray areas, for instance gold and other minerals found in Tasmania belong to the crown and unless you have an additional right to it you cannot keep it. Yeah right I'd love to see that rule enforced ! The other vexed question in Tasmania is needing to get permission from the Exploration lease holder, considering most of the land is under an E.L. and most E.L. holders are large mining companies, and when asked for permission they don't respond or say no, no one I know of ever asks. In Western Australia this has been addressed by paying $99 on top of your prospecting license, but there are pedantic rules about it's use. Surely after paying for your prospectors license, that should be enough to give you access to crown land, after all we are limited to what we can do by the rules of the license. Another disturbing trend is the way insurance companies are limiting land holders to give permission to prospectors to use their land. Bureaucrats, lawyers and insurance companies have changed the world that I grew up in.  Reminds me of a song by Robert Cray Nuthin' But Woman                                    ' you can give me an hour alone in a bank                                                                                                                                            pay all my tickets wipe the slate blank                                                                                                                                                you could buy me a car fill up the tank                                                                                                                                                tell me a boat load of lawyers just sank.......................

• Like 1