Axiom Detection Modes Explained

I want to add that I have run the Axiom around the world, and it handles ground extremely well. Fine Mode really is the Normal setting for almost all conditions. Salt is mandatory in salt water. As far as dry ground, it was only the very worst Tahoe beach conditions that foiled Fine Mode. Most people will never see ground like this, basically almost pure magnetite sand. The Axiom mono coils simply would not ground balance. DD coils were better, but the real solution was to go to Normal (difficult ground) mode. When set like this, the Axiom is the first PI that I have ever used that actually would balance perfectly and detect targets at good depth in almost pure magnetite. The ability of the Axiom to handle severe conditions is pretty astounding when you actually experience it like I have.

The Large (severe ground) mode will probably be the least used mode, reserved for the worst ground conditions possible, or to purposefully make the detector less sensitive to bird shot. It may come more into its own if any really large coils are ever released for the Axiom, as the more ground a coil sees, the more use a setting like this will have.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Steve,

Question: In the Tahoe magnetite beach sands you were able to balance the 13x11 DD?  The 11x7 mono coil had problems balancing?

If this is the case I am starting to understand your leaning towards the Axiom 13x11DD; 11x7 mono package for the majority of western ground conditions. 

All the coils balance if you use the correct settings. DD by its nature handles ground better than a mono, but the difference there is less pronounced with the Garrett DD coils. They are hotter than a normal DD. It’s all about hitting the wall with sensitivity, and you can alleviate that wall in various ways, but it all boils down to the same thing. A normal DD coil handles ground better precisely because they normally are less sensitive than the mono coils. Make the DD hotter, it is hotter on both on the target and the ground. There simply is no free lunch. To eliminate salt, you will lose some small gold targets. Set it to pick up those targets, you pick up the salt. People want some magic. Pick this up while not picking that up, but reality is some ground signals and some target signals overlap, and getting rid or one, gets rid of the other.

It would be interesting to have Detech make some standard DD coils for the Axiom. A narrower, more elongated response area than the Garrett Focused Core DD, and also less sensitive to smaller targets. But also milder response to bad ground.

• Like 6

On 12/11/2022 at 11:34 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I want to add that I have run the Axiom around the world, and it handles ground extremely well. Fine Mode really is the Normal setting for almost all conditions. Salt is mandatory in salt water. As far as dry ground, it was only the very worst Tahoe beach conditions that foiled Fine Mode. Most people will never see ground like this, basically almost pure magnetite sand. The Axiom mono coils simply would not ground balance. DD coils were better, but the real solution was to go to Normal (difficult ground) mode. When set like this, the Axiom is the first PI that I have ever used that actually would balance perfectly and detect targets at good depth in almost pure magnetite. The ability of the Axiom to handle severe conditions is pretty astounding when you actually experience it like I have.

The Large (severe ground) mode will probably be the least used mode, reserved for the worst ground conditions possible, or to purposefully make the detector less sensitive to bird shot. It may come more into its own if any really large coils are ever released for the Axiom, as the more ground a coil sees, the more use a setting like this will have.

Thanks for all the info Steve... Your bringing us all up to speed and cutting down on that learning curve we are all anxiously awaiting with the Axiom. 

Really hoping this detector fills some gaps, especially when dealing with magnetite in the goldfields. What's your experience on running the Axiom though mixed cobble, with various sized, positive sounding, magnetite chunks mixed into it. Or even magnetite chunks mixed through shallow alluvium on bedrock. The real nasty stuff that sounds just like chunky deep nuggets sitting down there. The key here is not constantly magnetite, but variable bits and pieces, mixed through where your hunting.

Also, if you did have a chance to test this scenario out, how did the DD's iron check and the hot rock/double balance work out in your opinion? Do you think it can efficiently run in this situation and still be descriptive enough not to be digging every other chunk of magnetite.

Thanks again,

• Like 1

The Axiom works as very well in scenarios like that, but I honestly have not worked in your specific situation, and so will say I just don’t know. The weird thing about a PI like the Axiom is you can be in what is normally really bad hot rocks and not even know it. All I can say is the Axiom handled the worst locations I could find in California, Nevada, and Australia.

The only time it struggled even a little was in using the ground balance window to tune out not one, but two really bad hot rocks. This was Australia, hot ground, plus ironstone and laterite hot rocks. I’m talking having the ground be one thing, this rock another, and this rock another yet. So three very different ground balance points at once. I was able to make the Axiom work, but it took playing with the ground and the two rocks all at once with the balance window, and finding a setting that averaged out the entire mess. I found gold in those situations, but the balance was not perfect, as in if I got the coil within an inch of the ironstone in particular, it would break through. But it was right there, an inch away.

A similar situation occurred in California burn areas, where the ground was one thing, some rocks another, and little pits full of ash another yet. Getting all three to settle down was challenging. Keep in mind I’m always pushing my sensitivity too high, which means I’m creating my own struggles! It’s always a battle trying to keep the machine as hot as possible while not having false signals be overwhelming, and I’m always pushing the edge.

The reality is the machine will easily tune out anything, but at what cost? You can make it as quiet as you want on almost anything, but will you want to? It’s always a trade, and I always worry if a machine is dead silent. That’s my clue to push it some more, until it’s noisy, then back it down to whatever seems reasonable. If I’m not digging a rock now and then I’m probably set too low.

I wish I could answer everything but the reality is the world is a varied place, and I can’t promise how the machine will handle places I’ve never been.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3