Make Your Headphones Work With The Manticore

PSPR

2 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Glad they're playing nice together.  It's always a crapshoot with these devices.

I agree, I have half a dozen or more that were duds.    I used the 800 to verify the LL APTX, It's gone so.....have to see what you guys confirm from here on out.   I don't understand why Minelab won't just come out and say what the hell they are using.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I didn't realize these were the same old tired APTX LL technology that is now obsolete.  I thought it was the new 5.3 LE.  As far as latency I'm willing to keep an open option if forced to change.  I can't just hook up the WM08 and expect it to work when it isn't compatible.  And unlike some, I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Grapes may not be the sweetest but they are far from sour.  If I have to slow down my target investigation swings then I'll learn to do that.

And as far as needing two, well, would you please explain this graphic from the Amazon page?

1759675461_Screenshotat2022-12-28194138.png.193a4c1cc07f6cb36dfc36ef468828ce.png

As explained in my post I was referring to the fact that if you were going to use it with the Manticore or 900 neither of which have a BT APTX-LL transmitter, you would need one for the detector output as a transmitter and one as a receiver for the favorite wired headphones you planned to plug into it.  If you are willing to use APTX-LL phones, then the receiver is not needed.

2 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I didn't realize these were the same old tired APTX LL technology that is now obsolete.  I thought it was the new 5.3 LE.  As far as latency I'm willing to keep an open option if forced to change.  I can't just hook up the WM08 and expect it to work when it isn't compatible.  And unlike some, I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Grapes may not be the sweetest but they are far from sour.  If I have to slow down my target investigation swings then I'll learn to do that.

And as far as needing two, well, would you please explain this graphic from the Amazon page?

1759675461_Screenshotat2022-12-28194138.png.193a4c1cc07f6cb36dfc36ef468828ce.png

If you have a set of fast bluetooth headphones or earbuds you won't. If you want to connect a set of wired earbuds or headphones like you use on the WM08, you will.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

As explained in my post I was referring to the fact that if you were going to use it with the Manticore or 900 neither of which have a BT APTX-LL transmitter, you would need one for the detector output as a transmitter and one as a receiver for the favorite wired headphones you planned to plug into it.

Must have missed that, too.  I just reread the post from which I quoted you and can't find such a clear explanation.  But thanks to the patience of some here I now get it.  The Manticore (and apparently the Eqx 900/700) are using a newer Bluetooth standard and those T/R units we've been discussing are the old APTX LL so they won't pick up the new signal.  However, if this company or another builds a similar device which uses the new standard, then it's effectively a WM08-like setup, although possibly not as fast.  (And yes, I realize others here have been predicting this will occur.)

It seems the only advantage for the mentioned APTX LL system for the Manticore and 900/700 compared to the ultrafast Garrett Z-lynk is the cost, which is less than half as much?  ($30 x2 vs. ~$140)  The Garrett system does give you the option of using a Z-Lynk pinpointer ('carrot'), too, but that's another ~$135?  Jeff has mentioned the Quest T/R system which might be less expensive than Garrett's -- IDK.  As always, good to have options.

20 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

It seems the only advantage for the mentioned APTX LL system for the Manticore and 900/700 compared to the ultrafast Garrett Z-lynk is the cost, which is less than half as much?  ($30 x2 vs. ~$140)  The Garrett system does give you the option of using a Z-Lynk pinpointer ('carrot'), too, but that's another ~$135?  Jeff has mentioned the Quest T/R system which might be less expensive than Garrett's -- IDK.  As always, good to have options.

The Quest equivalent of the Z-Lynk is only $100 for the transmitter and receiver suggested by Jeff.  You will also need a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter unless you are using phones with a 1/4" plug.  I'm not sure what tech they are using to transmit but it is probably proprietary.  The only downside it that now you have two more devices with batteries that need charged at about 10 hours. 

Some day when I finally get a Manticore I'll give it a try and see if it works OK. 

• Like 1

Just now, PSPR said:

The Quest equivalent of the Z-Lynk is only $100 for the transmitter and receiver suggested by Jeff.  You will also need a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter unless you are using phones with a 1/4" plug.  I'm not sure what tech they are using to transmit but it is probably proprietary.  The only downside it that now you have two more devices with batteries that need charged at about 10 hours. 

Some day when I finally get a Manticore I'll give it a try and see if it works OK. 

I was going to go with the Quest's,  but I have half a dozen LL APTX devises I was using with the Nox, so, I bought another transmitter for 28 bucks in case it didn't work properly. I'd rather have a Minelab wireless module, but, probably never happen anytime soon.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Must have missed that, too.  I just reread the post from which I quoted you and can't find such a clear explanation.  But thanks to the patience of some here I now get it. 

Apologize for not being clearer and more patient.  Posts were popping up while I was typing so I was flustered and wasn't invluding all relevant info.  I omitted the term "wired" with "headphones" in my first post quoted again below and it was not entirely clear to me whether you realized these were not BT LE radios (i.e., incompatible with the LE radios in the 900 and M-core) so I didn't include that tidbit so that contributed to the confusion.  

"Also, you will need two of these to make them work with any type of headphone (one for the detector audio out, and one for your headphones)."

I have used BT APTX-LL, Quest, Z-Lynk, and the ML Pro Sonic.  Pro Sonics are overpriced for what they are. Quest are a great value and have a number of great configurations.  I have settled on the Z-Lynks for my GPX and like the Wireless Carrot PP integration, would possibly go for Z-Lynk with the 900, but don't really have an issue with the ML85s, yet - I am aware of the volume issues.  I like APTX LL headphone choices but inter-brand compatibility is hit or miss. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dan(NM) said:

I was going to go with the Quest's,  but I have half a dozen LL APTX devises I was using with the Nox, so, I bought another transmitter for 28 bucks in case it didn't work properly. I'd rather have a Minelab wireless module, but, probably never happen anytime soon.

That make sense.  I've ordered several options just to see what connects and has good sound and will work on the Manticore.  I also want something that is open-ear so I can hear my surroundings and also so a gallon of sweat doesn't pour from my ears in the summer.

Sorry, Chase.  That was me typing while you were writing a post, too.

Just now, PSPR said:

That make sense.  I've ordered several options just to see what connects and has good sound and will work on the Manticore.  I also want something that is open-ear so I can hear my surroundings and also so a gallon of sweat doesn't pour from my ears in the summer.

I prefer wired earbuds so I can take one out and hear what's going on if needed. . Also, I like to wear a wide brimmed hat in the hot Texas sun.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dan(NM) said:

I prefer wired earbuds so I can take one out and hear what's going on if needed. . Also, I like to wear a wide brimmed hat in the hot Texas sun.

I would wear one of those umbrella hats if they didn't look so stupid.  :biggrin:

71D5havpnGL._AC_UX679_.jpg