Make Your Headphones Work With The Manticore

PSPR

10 hours ago, pikens said:

Looks good. I am looking at Garrets device as well. Z-link.Thanks.

That's an easy decision, pikens.  Becasue, the Z-Lynk IS Garrett's device.  Make sure you get the package with the transmitter and receiver.  They are about $140US at various dealers.

11 hours ago, pikens said:

I am looking at Garrets device as well. Z-link.

For those of us who prefer the fastest transmission, Z-Lynk (and maybe Quest's similar product) possibly will be our best option.  Steve H. on another thread already indicated he's going Z-Lynk.  (I don't remember which detector he was referring to.)  Here is a link to Garrett's page for the transmitter/receiver pair.  Here's a screen shot of what you get (can't get all the features in this screenshot but their are on the linked page):

762476507_Screenshotat2022-12-29111111.thumb.png.a3dc6eb4a4bd1626d3e63a6489ec5b64.png

Connectors are 1/4" (male plug on the transmitter and female jack/socket on the receiver).  17 ms latency; 30 hour operating time.  The O-ring is for attaching the transmitter to the detector shaft.  That's a bit awkward, IMO, but there are other garage mods I've seen such as velcro.  The O-ring can slip off, for example (it's happened to me before).  Velcro, cable ties, etc. give more mounting options.  I have these devices already for other detectors and need to try them on the Eqx 800.  If the sound isn't degraded (don't know why it would be, but I won't know for sure until I try) then that might be my primary solution when I get the Manticore.  One more option....

14 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Apologize for not being clearer and more patient.

No problem; all is good.  I did get confused when I saw that device was Bluetooth 5.2 since I thought that was the new standard being used on the Manticore (and Eqx 900/700).  Pretty sure now it's 5.3.  But Eqx 800/600 was 5.0??

On 12/29/2022 at 11:32 AM, GB_Amateur said:

No problem; all is good.  I did get confused when I saw that device was Bluetooth 5.2 since I thought that was the new standard being used on the Manticore (and Eqx 900/700).  Pretty sure now it's 5.3.  But Eqx 800/600 was 5.0??

Yeah.  Gotta be careful about focusing solely on the BT version advertised.  5.3 is the latest but that just indicates compatibility with the latest features.  The OEM has to actually implement the applicable features/codecs.  In this case BT LE Audio with the low latency LC3 codec.  In other words, BT LE Audio can only be implemented in hardware compliant with the BT 5.3 spec, but not all 5.3 compliant hardware implements BT LE hardware or features or the LC3 codec.  Note that ML utilizes 5.3 hardware (detector transmitter and the ML 85/105 phones) that contains the Nordic Semiconductor nRF5340 BT SOC (system on a chip).  So if you dive into the specs on a particular BT 5.3 Audio device and its specs utilize the above chipset or explicitly calls out the LC3 codec, there is a fighting chance it might be compatible with the 700/900/Manticore.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Dan(NM) said:

Also, I like to wear a wide brimmed hat in the hot Texas sun.

I have real sun issues so ear buds of some kind and a wide brim hat is the only way for me to go, when the sun shines. 

Also so much talk about BlueTooth and its versions. BT 5.3 is one generation short of the newest BT LE. (officially launched over the summer, but no one seems to be using it yet)

To add to the confusion the LE "Low Energy" is referenced back to the start of BT 5, so what is unclear is how the new spec will read, maybe just BT 5.3 LE ? this web page explains a lot but doesn't seem to give a clear final answer that I would hope for.  for. https://www.renesas.com/us/en/blogs/what-s-new-bluetooth-53-low-energy 

BT 5.3 has some improvements over past generations (they connect faster, have better sound, better range and stability), but only some are Low Latency (like what would work with the 600 and 800 Noxs), (not Manticore).

I have been looking hard for BT LE in a set of ear buds no luck yet. I have found a few that say they have 20ms delay which is twice as fast as APTX LL , but often they also reference an old version of BT so I think its just crap. (not what I would call reliable sites) Sooner or later they will show up.

• Like 1

Sniped from the Manticore specifications ? 

Bluetooth compatible          No   😵

I guess I missed something ?    Its not Bluetooth LE -- its something different ?

image.png.5650635393cdf46179e5abfc4245777a.png

9 hours ago, Dug D said:

Sniped from the Manticore specifications ? 

Bluetooth compatible          No   😵

I guess I missed something ?    Its not Bluetooth LE -- its something different ?

image.png.5650635393cdf46179e5abfc4245777a.png

I figured since nothing Bluetooth I tried will connect to the 900, apparently the 700, 900 and Manticore all use the same audio technology. 

• 2 weeks later...

- "Bluetooth Low Energy" and "Bluetooth Low Energy Audio" is the different technology. 

- any Bluetooth versions can be connected to each other 

- if we can't connect any other Bluetooth device (not ML) to 700/900/Manticore, this means that the company has applied some kind of protection or authentication

Has anyone tried connecting ML85/105 headphones to a smartphone?

• Like 1