Make Your Headphones Work With The Manticore

PSPR

7 hours ago, PSPR said:

Bluetooth 5.3 at less than 10 feet is supposed to be about the same latency as APTx depending upon the receiving device.

You're mixing up the BT standard platform (5.3) with the BT codec.  Without the APTX-LL codec or APTX Adaptive codec (both less than 50ms) and associated proprietary Qualcomm chipset, you are stuck with SBC codec's 200ms latency even if the hardware/firmware is rocking BT 5.3. Latency also has nothing to do with the distance between the receiver and the transmitter, it has to do with how fast the digital audio can be encoded and decoded.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

You're mixing up the BT standard platform (5.3) with the BT codec.  Without the APTX-LL codec or APTX Adaptive codec (both less than 50ms) and associated proprietary Qualcomm chipset, you are stuck with SBC codec's 200ms latency even if the hardware/firmware is rocking BT 5.3. Latency also has nothing to do with the distance between the receiver and the transmitter, it has to do with how fast the digital audio can be encoded and decoded.

Chase, you obviously have looked into this in much more depth than I have.  What I have read says BT 5.3 can have as low as 6ms latency.  Maybe the writer just doesn't know what he is saying.  Anyway, I'll defer to your, and others here, greater understanding of the different Bluetooth platforms.

Dewcon4414, strick tried to pair the NOX headphones with the Manticore and couldn't get them to pair.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PSPR said:

Chase, you obviously have looked into this in much more depth than I have.  What I have read says BT 5.3 can have as low as 6ms latency.  Maybe the writer just doesn't know what he is saying.  Anyway, I'll defer to your, and others here, greater understanding of the different Bluetooth platforms.

Dewcon4414, strick tried to pair the NOX headphones with the Manticore and couldn't get them to pair.

5.3 also supports BT LE channel classification at the peripheral device - what that mumbo jumbo means is that the best channel can be determined by the peripheral device (e.g., headphones) and is not solely determined by the central device ( e.g., phone, metal detector) resulting in less data errors occurring between the central device and the peripheral at greater distances,mimproving data accuracy, throughput, and decreased latency.  Which might be what you were reading about.  But that low 6 ms latency Is only associated with Bluetooth LE under 5.3 not standard BT under 5.3.

• Thanks 1

Chase this reminds me of the EQ release & everyone wanting earbuds and solving shaft wobble.  You typed your fingers off keeping up to all the questions on different forums plus a ton of researching!  Thanks for all that and saving people lots of money on mis compatible products.  I say mis as some would connect but with lag time.   The 8-oh-oh was a frustrating unit when it first came out and people like you really stepped up to help owners get around several problems. 

• Thanks 1

Fwiw, here's a cheap light rig that will work with any detector that has either a 1/4" or 1/8" jack. The headphones work with the Equinox straight up.20221213_085142.thumb.jpg.94d7084b8bdcc73be2d42cf063ee48f9.jpg

The whole thing will cost you around $60, the transmitter comes with a 1/8" to 1/8" adapter but I've broken them and found more rugged replacements.

The whole rig is Aptx-LL, the headphones are very loud and last 40 hours on a charge:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08QRQMLVY

I've worn them at the beach and can hear them over the surf. They are light and don't really get too sweaty because of the air circulation. I use them all summer, everywhere. They are on-ear.

Here's the transmitter, they also make a smaller one but this one will last all day, and it's BT 5:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01K8ANDCI

And the adapters:

1/8 to 1/8

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077GRQ4F4

1/8 female to 1/4

https://www.amazon.com/Chadou-Adapter-6-35mm-Headphone-Connector/dp/B084VGXK45

I use the ACU wrap because the headband is a bit stiff. I despise earbuds and always want situational awareness, it's come in handy a few times, a couple extreme.

Here's what it looks like on an old detector I have:20220706_151710.thumb.jpg.8dd98edd826c8573ebbc51407755a324.jpg

Weighs next to nothing.

• Like 3

"Compared to its previous version, Bluetooth 5 transfers data twice as fast and has a range that’s four times larger than Bluetooth 4.2. Bluetooth 5 data transferring speeds max out at 2Mbps. As for latency, the worst you can get is 40 milliseconds. Under ideal conditions, the latency rates drop to 20 milliseconds."

https://www.makeuseof.com/bluetooth-5-vs-aptx-low-latency/

What Bluetooth can do in theory and what the various devices do are two entirely different things. It depends on the codecs employed, and latency closer to 40 ms will be far more common than best case latency of 20 ms. For reference, the Garrett Z-Lynk is a 17 ms device. It costs a bit more than the Bluetooth boxes, but just like them will work with any detector. I’m switching over to Z-Lynk on all my detectors that do not have wireless built in, and even some that do, so I can go wireless with my Sun Ray Pro Gold and earbuds on all of them. Pairs faster with no messing around, super clear audio if used with your favorite headphones, and pairs in parallel with the Garrett AT Z-Lynk enabled pinpointer. It’s the only system that allows you to use a pinpointer wirelessly with any detector brand or model. I’m definitely a fan and recommend you give it a look.

I will add that I’m not a fan of the MS-3 wireless headphone itself. It had just average speakers, and sounds dull to my ear. My Pro Golds with the WR-1 sound far better, I can use them with any detector, and I get the benefit of dual volume controls. So my recommendation is get the WR-1 and use it with your preferred headphone option. And the WT-1 transmitter to use with any detector or device that has an audio jack.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/2727-garrett-z-lynk-wireless-audio-system-details/

0130605D-0368-4532-9135-C1559E46E82D.jpegF9CFEB24-4AD5-462A-B921-D9C0C5817764.jpeg

My setup using WR-1 receiver (WT-1 Transmitter used on any detector not pictured, same size as WR-1). The WR-1 has a 1/4” Jack so works directly with most detector headphones, but ironically I needed a 1/2” to 1/8” adapter for my ear buds. Just can’t get away from adapters it seems.

garrett-wr1-wireless-module-for-axiom.jpg
garrett-wireless-pinpointer-at-z-lynk.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1