Detector Manufacturers " Making Detectors Or Making Money"

Having more than one coil for my new Equinox 800 I'd like spare lower shaft. I've upgraded from an X-Terra 705, I carry it as a spare detector, so I thought, great I will use the lower shaft from that. Different size of course, it would be reasonable to assume that an X-Terra owner would, when upgrading, be buying a nox. So this situation to me is disappointing, to my mind Minelab have deliberately changed the size of the shaft in order to sell me another shaft. As buyers we we tend to be brand loyal, but increasingly for me that is becoming trite, they clearly don't care about us so why should we remain loyal ? My Equinox is made in Malaysia so Minelab don't even employ Australians to make the Equinox at least. Some may say big deal just buy a new shaft and get on with it. If that's what you think then big business has you exactly where they want you and the future is grim for consumers { remember when we used to be Customers }

Yep…imagine my horror when my land cruiser got a flat so I went to fit the spare from my Corolla and it wouldn’t fit!

Never buying a Toyota again! I just know they changed the size and stud pattern just to pi$$ me off.😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Well, a business loves it when you are loyal. I find it an interesting concept myself. Why would anyone be loyal to a company? Like my dog is loyal to me? Is the company loyal back?

The only reason companies exist is to make money. It's nice if customers like a company, but it sure is not needed. Does anyone like oil companies, well, except the ones getting a paycheck from one, or stockholders? No, I basically have to buy gasoline, and there is no requirement I like or am loyal to any of them. If it makes a company more money to do things that are in their interest, and not yours, they will do it, as long as it does not affect the bottom line.

Usually companies do want happy customers and so certainly that is a factor. But only as it affects making money. Individually we are all nothing, just walking wallets to be drained. So loyalty? No. I'm only loyal to a company as regards if I think their products or services are a better deal for me, and the minute I think otherwise, I'll buy somewhere else.

So yeah, if making things different means you buy more stuff, that's what they are going to do. No reason to get mad or upset about it. They are not friends who are betraying you. They are just a company with stuff to sell. You can buy from them, or buy from someone else.

Yes, they have stuff made around the world. They also have a large headquarters in Mawson Lake, Australia, that pays quite a few Aussies the big engineering bucks. But again, what of it? I'm not an Aussie myself, but that never stopped me buying their product.

Long story short if it really bothers you a lot, send a letter to the company. Or buy some other brand. Whatever. But life's too short and these are just metal detectors. If you want to get bothered, there are some drug companies I can point you at that deserve your ire far more than Minelab. :smile:

I do have to say we’re it not for Minelab, a whole lot of us would have found a lot less gold. If it was left to the U.S. manufacturers we would have all been buying White’s TDI or Garrett ATX as the best of the best. Minelab took it to a whole different level, and still in general is the company making the cutting edge product. As long as they continue to do that they can rest pretty safe at night.

Minelab%20Adelaide%20Office.jpg

Inside%20Team%20Minelab.jpg

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Well, a business loves it when you are loyal. I find it an interesting concept myself. Why would anyone be loyal to a company? Like my dog is loyal to me? Is the company loyal back?

The only reason companies exist is to make money. It's nice if customers like a company, but it sure is not needed. Does anyone like oil companies, well, except the ones getting a paycheck from one, or stockholders? No, I basically have to buy gasoline, and there is no requirement I like or am loyal to any of them. If it makes a company more money to do things that are in their interest, and not yours, they will do it, as long as it does not affect the bottom line.

Usually companies do want happy customers and so certainly that is a factor. But only as it affects making money. Individually we are all nothing, just walking wallets to be drained. So loyalty? No. I'm only loyal to a company as regards if I think their products or services are a better deal for me, and the minute I think otherwise, I'll buy somewhere else.

So yeah, if making things different means you buy more stuff, that's what they are going to do. No reason to get mad or upset about it. They are not friends who are betraying you. They are just a company with stuff to sell. You can buy from them, or buy from someone else.

Yes, they have stuff made around the world. They also have a large headquarters in Mawson Lake, Australia, that pays quite a few Aussies the big engineering bucks. But again, what of it? I'm not an Aussie myself, but that never stopped me buying their product.

Long story short if it really bothers you a lot, send a letter to the company. Or buy some other brand. Whatever. But life's too short and these are just metal detectors. If you want to get bothered, there are some drug companies I can point you at that deserve your ire far more than Minelab. :smile:

I only fill my Tacoma at Chevron, then again this is the first time I have ever owned a new vehicle rather than used. 
Cell phone companies use to change the charger every year to make people buy new accessories each year until the US government dictated how often they could change the shape of the charger port. I’m not a fan of government getting involved in private business but I can see where making chargers obsolete every year is problematic for waste and what not. 
Back to the subject.  Just look at it as a great reason to buy a nice graphite shaft from the other Steve on here.  Lighter, stronger and you are supporting a small business that does care and will answer your phone call personally(or call you back when he isn’t at his full time job). And no, he isn’t paying me for the plug 😆

• Like 1

Like Steve, I know how much gold we would`ve got if we didn`t have ML. Garrett started it 40 plus years ago, ML took over and is Garrett now back into it, I should personally know in the next few days, from DPs recent threads I`m excited the green machine maybe the new King for me. Popcorns ready here we go again.............knockers rule...... wouldn`t miss it for quids.........

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Long story short if it really bothers you a lot, send a letter to the company. Or buy some other brand. Whatever. But life's too short and these are just metal detectors. If you want to get bothered, there are some drug companies I can at that deserve your ire far more than Minelab. :smile:

Well I'm not bothered, just disappointed, mostly because as my title hints, that companies are just about making money. Clearly by your comment ' The only reason companies exist is to make money' you disagree. But my point is that as soon as a companies sole reason for being is to make money  then they will soon lose their way. Especially when we are seen as consumers instead of customers. To illistrate my point, as I like to do, I've read on this forum that there are some problems with the GPX 6000 and people are unhappy but, minelab are sitting on their hands. Can I suggest that this atittude is motivated by profit and is disappointing. Finally no it doesn't bother me enough to send the company a letter, I just thought it would be interesting topic in the light of what I've mentioned about the 6000. It seems that sevastras has bought up an interesting point, that is waste, and making things obsolete for the sake of sales. I think unintentionally, or not , he is reinforcing my point.

21 minutes ago, sevastras said:

I only fill my Tacoma at Chevron, then again this is the first time I have ever owned a new vehicle rather than used. 
Cell phone companies use to change the charger every year to make people buy new accessories each year until the US government dictated how often they could change the shape of the charger port. I’m not a fan of government getting involved in private business but I can see where making chargers obsolete every year is problematic for waste and what not. 
Back to the subject.  Just look at it as a great reason to buy a nice graphite shaft from the other Steve on here.  Lighter, stronger and you are supporting a small business that does care and will answer your phone call personally(or call you back when he isn’t at his full time job). And no, he isn’t paying me for the plug 😆

21 minutes ago, blackjack said:

Well I'm not bothered, just disappointed, mostly because as my title hints, that companies are just about making money. Clearly by your comment ' The only reason companies exist is to make money' you disagree. But my point is that as soon as a companies sole reason for being is to make money  then they will soon lose their way. Especially when we are seen as consumers instead of customers. To illistrate my point, as I like to do, I've read on this forum that there are some problems with the GPX 6000 and people are unhappy but, minelab are sitting on their hands. Can I suggest that this atittude is motivated by profit and is disappointing. Finally no it doesn't bother me enough to send the company a letter, I just thought it would be interesting topic in the light of what I've mentioned about the 6000. It seems that sevastras has bought up an interesting point, that is waste, and making things obsolete for the sake of sales. I think unintentionally, or not , he is reinforcing my point.

Are all companies not in it to make money if they are not they need to re think their business plan

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DSMITH said:

Are all companies not in it to make money if they are not they need to re think their business plan

Please people get a grip, I'm not suggesting, companies shouldn't make money just that it shouldn't be their only basis for operating, has every one forgotten the GFC and what caused it, greed. The way things are in the world at the moment we need to have companies behaving ethically not just for profit. 

32 minutes ago, blackjack said:

The way things are in the world at the moment we need to have companies behaving ethically not just for profit. 

Good luck finding them. Unless it would hurt the brand, they don't care.

GC

• Like 2