A Stroll In The Park With The Manticore

strick

14 minutes ago, PSPR said:

Did you look at the targets from 90 degrees to see if you got the same TT view and TID?  I thought I read somewhere that the tabs look different from different angles.

lol not much as Carolina mentioned I was slinging some dirt. If I remember right most of the tabs were nice round target traces...if you look at the tabs these were older tabs and most were deep. I was looking for gold rings. The numbers do jump around sometimes so maybe they can be identified better...I'm all ears on that one if people find a way to notch them out. I think I'm going to do some gold ring testing soon to see where the different sizes hit mostly. I will post my results If I end up doing that. 

strick 

• Like 9

Hello Strict, thanks, a couple general questions, in most cases when it was a coin, were you pretty sure before digging it was a coin ?

Were you digging coins and trash deeper than 8 inches a lot of the time?

Was anything a foot deep ?

thanks, hopefully you didn't get too wet/muddy.

• Like 1

Thanks, strick.  You are one of the posters here I've been looking forward to getting a review (and you're a lucky dog to have one already)!  That park must have some strongly acidic soil, given the orange color of the 25% nickel alloy surfaces.

2 hours ago, strick said:

The nickels were coming in around 27-28 If I remember right and most of the square tabs were coming in in the 30's 40's I believe but don't quote me on that...then I got a tab in the nickel range as well and I thought well darn it...it really depends on the size shape and stage of decay. The manticore loves them as you can see.

The USA 5 cent VDI you report is consistent with what is in the user manual.  As far as a pulltab coming in with a similar VDI, I'm recalling that bent, cut, etc. modern ('racetrack') tabs can line up well with our nickels on the ML Equinox.  Here's a thought experiment:  consider a modern pulltab that gradually gets one lobe cut away until you're down to a single more/less circular annulus ('ring') shape.  How does the VDI change on incremental material removal?  My suspicion is that it gradually moves down from the high 30's to below the high 20's.

Thanks in particular for being honest and modest about your skill level, etc.  I wish everyone would be so up-front.  It's going to take most (all?) of us some time to get accustomed to and confident in this new instrument.  (But it's going to be fun along the way!)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, strick said:

If I remember right most of the tabs were nice round target traces...if you look at the tabs these were older tabs and most were deep.

Hi Strick.  Thanks for your report.  40 odd coins, a chain and some keys in a well hunted park is a good effort  👍🏻

I am wondering if you’ve ever used a CTX and how you found the Manticore’s target trace on the pull tabs Vs the target trace on the CTX?  Very similar?  Did the CTX give more info and a better dig me/don’t dig me indication?  

Your profile mentioned a wide range of very nice detectors so I’m hoping the CTX was a part of that stable of thoroughbreds 😉

Strick,

Your first hunt was in the rain at the beach.  Did it leave you with any concerns?

You said something about the corroded pennies.  To me it is the bane of the beach now.  If there is a small little piece out of a penny it can bong on my 800 or scratch like a chain.  The brain can't handle the IDs by sound I don't expect the screen to be completely accurate.

How much do you miss the 800?  haha

• Like 1

Hey Strick

thanks for the review!   I gotta question:  can the manticore reliably (that’s the key word here), tell the difference between a clad dime and a copper memorial penny?   You didn’t mention anything about silver coins, but do you know if the manticore can tell the difference between a silver dime and a clad dime?   Same for a silver and clad quarter.  Again, reliably.    I’m wondering if there’s an expanded silver range on the vdi.  
thanks!

• Like 1