A Stroll In The Park With The Manticore

strick

5 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Your first hunt was in the rain at the beach.  Did it leave you with any concerns?

You said something about the corroded pennies.  To me it is the bane of the beach now.  If there is a small little piece out of a penny it can bong on my 800 or scratch like a chain.  The brain can't handle the IDs by sound I don't expect the screen to be completely accurate.

How much do you miss the 800?  haha

Well I soaked the wireless head phones and they still work fine lol. The machine seemed sensitive to the black sand so I had to run it in the mid 20's most of the time or it became too chattery. I was in Santa cruz and the EMI is usually hard on the Nox the Manticore handled it fine. My general impression so far is that the machine is hot on small non ferrous items so it should have no problem seeing decent sized chain clasps. It loves Zinc pennies in all phases of decay  I think I even dug one  that was a 20 if I remember right but most come in in the 50"s.  I cant wait for the small coil as I feel it will be deadly for sniping in trash. My only problem has been relearning the expanded VID. Coming from the Nox and the CTX their ID ranges are much smaller it going to take some getting used to remembering the various ID's

Nah don't feel guilty about the Nox at all I love this new stuff. This new girl looks better, feels better, is smarter and has a better voice.  My Nox will be a back up for a while it deserves a rest any how.  

strick 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, NCtoad said:

Hey Strick

thanks for the review!   I gotta question:  can the manticore reliably (that’s the key word here), tell the difference between a clad dime and a copper memorial penny?   You didn’t mention anything about silver coins, but do you know if the manticore can tell the difference between a silver dime and a clad dime?   Same for a silver and clad quarter.  Again, reliably.    I’m wondering if there’s an expanded silver range on the vdi.  
thanks!

NCtoad-  I wish I could help you but the only testing I've done so far was to ID a small gold ring and a decent sized gold ring so as to have a starting point. I have not found any silver coins with it yet and its likely to be some time before I do. I have found clad dimes and copper memorial pennies but the ground here is super muddy and I've been hunting fast and tossing the coins in my pouch without more then a quick look. I think they are close in their ID but I've not dug enough to be burnt into my memory. I'm mainly looking for gold rings. I could take out some silver coins and do some testing but my spare time is limited and I'd rather not waste it testing when I could be hunting and really learning the machine...if you know what I mean 😊

strick 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, strick said:

NCtoad-  I wish I could help you but the only testing I've done so far was to ID a small gold ring and a decent sized gold ring so as to have a starting point. I have not found any silver coins with it yet and its likely to be some time before I do. I have found clad dimes and copper memorial pennies but the ground here is super muddy and I've been hunting fast and tossing the coins in my pouch without more then a quick look. I think they are close in their ID but I've not dug enough to be burnt into my memory. I'm mainly looking for gold rings. I could take out some silver coins and do some testing but my spare time is limited and I'd rather not waste it testing when I could be hunting and really learning the machine...if you know what I mean 😊

strick 

I know exactly what you mean!   I would much rather spend what little free time that I have detecting rather than testing.  Seems like some guys do the opposite and I appreciate their efforts and reviews, but, like you, I’d rather learn my detector by actually hunting with it.  Anyways I appreciate your review!   Good luck on finding some gold and let us know when you do.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, strick said:

I was in Santa cruz and the EMI is usually hard on the Nox the Manticore handled it fine.

Oh, I sure hope that improvement spills over to my neighborhood.  It's going to open up some spots for me if it does.  Broadband internet signals in particular in one place just force me to lower the gain so much (or switch to single freqs) that I have no chance.

Regarding NCtoad's question about 95% copper Memorials (and the later Lincoln) cents vs. the clad dime.  Here is something from the manual:

1173224200_Screenshotat2022-12-14134907.png.b6228311cbf31d3fd173640d2485e947.png

I'm not taking that graphic too seriously yet.  (Brass cent has dTID of 76 vs. clad dime at 77.)  It's good enough to convince me they are close; however, separable/distinguishable?  Does condition of the coin (specifically from chemicals in the ground) muddy that?  Orientation?  Depth for sure is going to mess with this, eventually.  90% silver dime vs. clad dime, though.  That may be consistently doable even in real field conditions.  Time will tell.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, strick said:

I was in Santa cruz and the EMI is usually hard on the Nox the Manticore handled it fine.

Hello there Strick, I guess the 'boosted EMI immunity" works. I know u can only run sensitivity of 20 due to ground conditions. If the ground permits, how high you can run the sensitivity before the EMI occurs back? . Have you played with tonal themes?,  especially the Enhanced Audio theme. The manual stated "The Enhanced Audio Theme is similar to Normal, but is optimized for detecting in high EMI scenarios. Weak detections like EMI chatter will remain audible, but will have a modulated audio timbre that will sound more 'thin' or 'tinny' than stronger detections. This has the effect of suppressing EMI chatter, making it easier to listen 'through', to hear non-random signals that consistently repeat with each swing. Larger signals from strong/shallow targets will sound more 'robust' similar to the Normal Audio Theme. This Audio Theme can also allow users to increase Sensitivity (in EMI-limited locations) higher than would be possible using the Normal Audio Theme."

Does this works to increase a bit more sensitivity?. I'm trying to figure out on how to maximize the sensitivity, if the ground conditions at my area permit me to do that but that's another variable to figure out on site. Thank you in advance.

• Like 2

Oof, you poor guy. Try to post a few simple things... 🤣

For a hot second I thought your last photo was target trace of a crucifix. 🤣

Looking forward to your success with the M-core. Get on the list early, get the goods. 👍

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fishersari said:

Hello there Strick, I guess the 'boosted EMI immunity" works. I know u can only run sensitivity of 20 due to ground conditions. If the ground permits, how high you can run the sensitivity before the EMI occurs back? . Have you played with tonal themes?,  especially the Enhanced Audio theme.

I have to admit I still have not read the whole manual just the part on how to navigate thru the menus lol. I'm bad about that kind of stuff. I have been switching back and forth with the enhanced and regular. The enhanced seems to quiet down the tones so right now I prefer regular.  In the areas i've hunted so far the machine gets too chattery if you run the sensitivity at 28 or higher so I've been running it around 25. Like Steve has said one should really not comment on a machine till they have lots of hours on it but I just could not resist 😊

strick 

• Haha 1

Hi Strict, looks to be about 40 trash and 60 coins, ratio getting better, how are there so many coins left in your park?

Is the park mostly not hunted or do you think you are pulling coins that you and others missed

thanks

Dug 

• Like 1