Question For The Oz Blokes

1 hour ago, Jim McCulloch said:

Around 1900, a book was published detailing large Australian nugget finds. Can someone kindly supply title, author,  and publication info? Thanks!

This one?

https://victoriancollections.net.au/items/523a963a2162ef1d6c430f42

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is the one. I have a copy and have (as in the book) always referred to nuggets as those lumps of gold being 20ozs or better. Not tiny specks that require a scientific set of scales to even measure.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Good old books are like good old friends.  I once hunted old used bookstores for First Editions.  That was my treasure beginning in the 70s.  Books on billards, snooker and pool mostly.  I have a couple of hundred of them.

I wish I had looked for old mining and gold books while I was at it.

• Like 3

On 12/13/2022 at 10:17 AM, Reg Wilson said:

That is the one. I have a copy and have (as in the book) always referred to nuggets as those lumps of gold being 20ozs or better. Not tiny specks that require a scientific set of scales to even measure.

I think at one time, I read at what size a piece of gold has to be to be called a nugget, but 20 oz. ? Sorry Reg but if you are being ironic again, we need to be looking at you when you say it, to know. If you are serious then lets just say the standards may have dropped since 1910 when the book was written.

• Like 1

Mine is a reprint from 1979 via Peter Bridge's publishing company 'Hesperian Press'. Its printing was paid for via a very gracious gift of significant $$ from none other than Charles Garrett. It was intended to spur interest in buying more Garrett metal detectors of course....I think it worked.....

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Question For The Oz Blokes