Cold And Windy Relic Hunt

16 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks! Wish I found the whole thing, but it probably wouldn't have been there, kinda hard to lose one that big. 😀

You'd be surprised.  Years ago I found a GIANT skeleton key at Golden Gate Park.  No idea what it went to originally, but it's one of my favorite keys I've dug and in beautiful condition with a nice green patina.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks! Funny you should mention that, I noticed the hole today and cleaned it out with a pin. It's big and heavy, around 2" and that's about 2/3 the length of the side, and it is curved. Shoe buckle? I think the cast and pinned buckles were made in the latter part of the 18th century, or early 19th.

Couldn't find it in my buckle book. 🤔 

Here's a couple of similar shoe buckle pieces. I don't have a good, whole example of that style, but I have seen others dig similar ones. Generally most buckles come from the mid 1700's to the end of the 1700's. Earlier ones are rarer to find, but (I think) started somewhere in the very late 1600's

buckles.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Generally most buckles come from the mid 1700's to the end of the 1700's. Earlier ones are rarer to find, but (I think) started somewhere in the very late 1600's

Thank you! 👍

Hopefully I'll find more of it today! Gonna rain tomorrow.

Some pretty good history here, that collar stud was 1850s, I dug a Tombac one a couple weeks ago. That might have been a cufflink tho 🤔

• Like 2