I use an Apex badger. I destroyed a few lightweight picks made by Jobe and others before switching to the Apex. I probably don't use the supplied magnet as often as I should, it's nice for popping out those little pieces of iron in your dig holes though. I think I bought it for like $80 bucks at a show.

Welcome to the forum!

Previous thread...

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/1221-show-me-your-pick/

My pick collection:

steves-prospecting-picks.jpg

1. A very used Walco pick. Note the worn tip. This was my main pick for years before I left Alaska. The original handle has been replaced with a hickory sledgehammer handle for extra length. I dug a lot of deep holes and the longer handle was easier on my back and doubled as a walking stick for sidehilling and crossing streams. I do like the Walco design, light and tough.

2. A new Walco pick I got on my trip to Australia.

3. My current pick, an old Hodan pick I have had for ages. Handle cut down a bit to 22" to hang better on my belt and fit in my backpack. I do not need a big scoop as much down south and it hangs on my belt better than scoop style picks.

4. Unused 24" Hodan for backup. John passed away last year, may he rest in peace, so when current supplies run out no more Hodan picks.

5. An ancient Mag-Na-Pick from back in the day. I tote this around in my kit as a backup just in case I break the handle on my primary pick.

6. A little lightweight metal handle pick. Good for casual work hunting shallow small nuggets.

7. and 8. New style Estwing pick and old style Estwing pick, for serious digging. I can dig a hole in asphalt with one of these! Too much metal for normal use though.

9. Version one of hoe pick I nagged John for years to make for me. He instead made one as an AZO exclusive first which was irritating. Then this one, which I pointed out nobody would want due to round spade end. Actually digs great but no good for scraping flat surfaces.

10. The model that addressed my issues with the other one. Both are heavier than I like though.

I always have a magnet mounted on my picks. Most of my picks came without so I usually mount the magnets myself.

• Like 5

Apex all the way for me.  I use the Badger model  for searching and the Extreme model for digging.  Pricey, but worth the $$$.  If your in Grass Valley, check with Heather at Pioneer Mining in Auburn.  I know Black Sheep Mining in Sac sells Apex, that's where I buy mine.

I've always liked Walco the best but they're hard to find. 

Apex makes a tough pick but I always felt the handle was a little too "fat" and the heads are pretty heavy on them. I don't care for the dinky magnets they stick on them either. I buy pretty large neodymium magnets online that I stick on my picks. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Grass Valley Buck Master said:

I'm new to the forum but would like to know what you all are using for a metal detecting prospecting pick. I prefer a lightweight pick with a wood handle and I curious if you all like the ones with a magnet. Finally, if you have a model name, a price, and where you purchased it, I would be grateful... Thanks

They "aye's" have it. I bought this and will be using it extensively over the weekend - 

49 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I've always liked Walco the best but they're hard to find.

After Tortuga post I though I would do a search of Walco Picks.

I was surprised to see what turned up: http://forums.nuggethunting.com/index.php?/topic/4148-walco-picks-shoves-it-up-docs-arse/

So I will probably not go with a Walco Pic as I like Docs.  He's the only one to send me a free hat or free anything when I bough a coil from him in 05.  I still have the hat!.

Terry

That was weird - I used to buy Walco picks from Doc for resale back when I was a dealer. Not like they really went with anyone else though - as far as I know you can't buy them in the U.S. now. That is why I picked up another one in Australia when I was there.

I like the look of the Apex picks but for obvious reasons I will not be buying any picks for awhile!

I've had this since 05 but don't remember what brand it is. It's worked well for me.  Anyone know what brand this might be?

However I'm in the market for a another good pick with a longer handle.  May go with one of Ivan's picks.  

IMG_9153.JPG

IMG_9151.JPG

I have been using Bunks Hermit Pick, very lightweight, yet strong, has a nice wide spade,  made by a local prospector.

Dave

bunkpick.jpg

• Like 4