Grass Valley,

APEX Picks . I have a Badger 18", Badger 30" and the Extreme 36". All with 3 magnets. Magnets on your pick will save you a lot of time.

3 hours ago, Roughwater said:

I've had this since 05 but don't remember what brand it is. It's worked well for me.  Anyone know what brand this might be?

However I'm in the market for a another good pick with a longer handle.  May go with one of Ivan's picks.  

IMG_9151.JPG

That is a Hodan Pick. The logo is for Hodan Machine - same pick I currently use. Unfortunately John Hodan passed away. However, there are still some picks to be had in inventory from some dealers for now until they are gone. They come in 15", 22", and 34" handle lengths. I liked the 34" which was nicknamed the "Walking Pick" as it really did make a decent walking stick.

I am not sure what grade steel John was using in them but the metal is very slow wearing.

Fred Mason commented once on how could I use a pick with such a narrow hoe end. I like it because it hangs well on my belt, far better than the ones with  super wide hoe. Those I usually carried in hand or over shoulder. This pick I chop the ground up with the pick end, then lay it sideways using the entire pick head on edge to scoop the hole out. Works just fine for me.

• Like 3

Thanks Steve.  

Sorry to hear the maker of it has passed.  If I recall I believe these were made from old leaf springs which is very hard steel yet very durable.  

Hey Steve I have been looking at the Hodan 36 inch. Knowing now they are limited I need to make a move on it. I personally do not like my Apex pick. Its just to well build(heavy duty) so I have been using by dredge pick Estwing GEO pick. I really like that pick as far as size and weight but being all metal not the best for detecting. Is the Hodan comparable to the Estwing.

Steel is every bit as hard but obviously a wood handle. The Estwing head is heavier and has more striking power.

All HODAN picks are Made in the USA, and handcrafted in Arizona from cold rolled carbon steel. The handles are American Hickory from Arkansas  and are individually fitted to each pick and secured with a safety wedge and iron rivet.

After all welding is completed the pick heads are heat treated through the carbonization process to produce a surface hardness of Rc 52-55 (tool bits are Rc 60) to a depth of 0.030. This produces a hard wear resistant surface while maintaining a softer core to absorb shock.

Do you feel the striking power to be an issue?

Your good at selling stuff you should have been in retail.

• Like 1

:smile:

The striking power is only an issue if it is an issue. In Australia we were getting nuggets down into material that for all intents and purposes was solid rock. A Hodan would probably just bounce off while taking small chips where the Estwing would take out chunks. At the time I was using a Walco pick but JP had this big honkin heavy super pointy pick just for that kind of material. The Walco was useless in that stuff - just too light.