One Heck Of A Relic Hunting Road Trip

Good story and finds ,That dime was primo , half dime , well escaped back to the wild possible find on another trip. No doubt you'll go back,,,when it's dry.

The trip was a little gnarly . But you both made it back from it all. With the goods  !

Weight IS a problem with those e-bikes. 

I used to go back country on my old 10 speed a lot..

On the rough stuff , I'd just toss it over my shoulder and hike it to solid ground...

It weighs 19# ......I still have it. Contemplating putting an electric front wheel on ?

BUT that wheel/motor and a battery would more than double the weight of the bike  !

With all the battery research going on these days , you'd think somebody could make one out of plastic and air ? or helium , yeah sure LOL

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Great work on the finds and enjoyed the reading about it.

Good luck on your next outing and stay safe out there.

Thanks!  Definitely won't be ebiking through the desert like a horse with no name in the dark again 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, deathray said:

My motto is ' I don't always find treasure but I do find adventure'..  Looks like you 2 are the same.

Good site, love the trade items, screams western history. Heal up bud, get back out there.

Thanks!

I told Tom that we've had so many crazy adventures we should write a book some day haha

• Like 4

2 hours ago, strick said:

You guys did good. Looks like rivet city over there. And a nice photo presentation by Brian..Toms dime deserves more then a paper towel 🙂 I'm into rings as you know and the older the more special they seem. I wonder how that one you found will clean up. Is it brass? Maybe you will get lucky and see gold after the clean it up lol ....what makes it a trade ring? Make sure you are wearing lace up boots that come up well past your ankles if you are not doing so already. 

strick 

Thanks Chuck!

I love finding rings too.  Funny you should ask what makes it a trade ring 🙂  Years ago Tom and I hunted a site and I found a similar ring, and when I showed it to Tom he quickly dismissed it as a "Cracker Jack toy" 🤬 I disagreed, as looking at it close it had that crude, pre-industrial revolution construction look about it.  One day I was on a fur trade forum and low and behold people were posting rings that looked identical, so I posted mine.  They confirmed it was a 1700's to early 1800's trade item.  I've since found several more at various sites.  The one I posted is from an early trading post/stage stop site, so no doubt it's a trade ring.  Unfortunately I don't think it'll clean up any better without compromising the metal.  Some areas had alkali soils, which isn't kind to a lot of metals 😞

Lace up boots above the ankles....ouch!  That's what I was wearing when I crashed, maybe that kept my ankle from getting jacked up worse?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Good story and finds ,That dime was primo , half dime , well escaped back to the wild possible find on another trip. No doubt you'll go back,,,when it's dry.

The trip was a little gnarly . But you both made it back from it all. With the goods  !

Weight IS a problem with those e-bikes. 

I used to go back country on my old 10 speed a lot..

On the rough stuff , I'd just toss it over my shoulder and hike it to solid ground...

It weighs 19# ......I still have it. Contemplating putting an electric front wheel on ?

BUT that wheel/motor and a battery would more than double the weight of the bike  !

With all the battery research going on these days , you'd think somebody could make one out of plastic and air ? or helium , yeah sure LOL

Thanks!

Yeah the ebikes are like 60lbs.  They're basically electric dirt bikes, but yes they are heavy, and that's not an advantage.  They do make carbon fiber ebikes that are half the weight, but at 3-4x the cost (and these were already expensive in my book).

19lbs sounds a lot better!  I'm sure 5-10 years from now ebikes will be far better - lighter, stronger, better battery range and less expensive, at least I hope so.  These aren't bad, but they have their pros and cons.

23 minutes ago, canslawhero said:

Cal, iPhone 14 with the satellite text feature might be a good thing to have on that sort of trip if you're out of cell phone service...

I'm going to upgrade to the iPhone 14 over the holidays, but I currently have the iPhone 8+ and had downloaded Google offline maps in case we'd lost cell service.  It was helpful, but the old satellite view didn't prepare us for what the previous days flash floods had left behind.  The old dirt road we were trying to take to get back to our vehicle had been washed out, was literally a 15' wide river and the other side of the road was a 15' tall 90 degree angled ascend, so we were unable to get across that and had to cross country around to find a new route out. 

Tom and I definitely need to get better acquainted with using GPS/mapping tools on our phones. 

What is the "satellite text feature" ?

1 hour ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Thanks!

I told Tom that we've had so many crazy adventures we should write a book some day haha

I dunno about this.  It'll have to be posthumous published book, for our heirs to submit, post, etc....     Same for some of the collections we have assembled.   Doh !

1 hour ago, Cal_Cobra said:

...  Years ago Tom and I hunted a site and I found a similar ring, and when I showed it to Tom he quickly dismissed it as a "Cracker Jack toy" 🤬 I disagreed, ...

Once every 100 yrs, you are right and I'm wrong.   This was one-such rare occurrence   🙄

19 minutes ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Once every 100 yrs, you are right and I'm wrong.   This was one-such rare occurrence   🙄

One thing the school of hard knocks has thought me, is not to take someones "kill-joy" antics too seriously 🧐