One Heck Of A Relic Hunting Road Trip

18 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

I lost an 1864 s half dime somewhere....

Ouch, that's gotta hurt.  Hopefully it will show up somewhere, someday (in your possessions, that is).  I would be devastated but then I don't get those scarce date mid-19th C. silvers like you Western ghost town/stage stop/etc. guys do.  (I'm fully aware it's your careful, time-consuming research that allows those finds.)  The dime you didn't lose is a beaut, and also not a common date.  Well done.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

It'll have to be posthumous published book,...

If your adventure had been just a little worse this might have been the only option.  Once it got dark did you consider hunkering down for the night or is the desert there just too cold after sundown that this would be dangerous, too?

There's a TV show I really like called "How to Survive" with a narrator/participant named 'Creek Stewart'.  (You'd think he lived in a mountain or desert state, but no, less than 100 miles north of me -- in a suburb!  :laugh:)  The show is basically recreations of events in which people barely survived (and occasionally, didn't) on day trips very similar to what you just did.  The best part are the instructions/demos on things one can do if caught in these situations.

Anyway, I'm not lecturing.  I'll let your wives do that.  😉  I suspect you've experienced other situations that have prepared you for such unexpeced occurrences.  Glad it wasn't worse and that you're already fired up to return.  Next time you, Brian, find the silver S-mint coins and Tom relates to us the harrowing survival adventure.  (Just kidding, Tom, but at least let Brian get a crumb to nibble on, would ya?  Geez.)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

...  but at least let Brian get a crumb to nimble on, would ya?  Geez.)

Yes.  I'm not trying to boast or anything, but ... it *is* rather curious that Brian didn't get any coins on this trip, eh ?   I keep telling him that my preferred pronoun is "Oh Mighty One".   But ... he refuses.   So someone do me a favor and ask him :  "How many seated coins did you find on this trip Brian ?"    🤨

(just kiddin' Brian, I luv ya bro ! 😁 )

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I'm going to upgrade to the iPhone 14 over the holidays, but I currently have the iPhone 8+ and had downloaded Google offline maps in case we'd lost cell service.  It was helpful, but the old satellite view didn't prepare us for what the previous days flash floods had left behind.  The old dirt road we were trying to take to get back to our vehicle had been washed out, was literally a 15' wide river and the other side of the road was a 15' tall 90 degree angled ascend, so we were unable to get across that and had to cross country around to find a new route out. 

Tom and I definitely need to get better acquainted with using GPS/mapping tools on our phones. 

What is the "satellite text feature" ?

"Emergency SOS via satellite can help you connect with emergency services under exceptional circumstances when no other means of reaching emergency services are available. If you call or text emergency services and can't connect because you're outside the range of cellular and Wi-Fi coverage, your iPhone tries to connect you via satellite to the help that you need."

just for a serious (like an accident) situation....

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  It makes my falling off of a 4-5ft CUT sound like a cake walk.

I've always wondered about those stage stops.  Now you confirm the suspicions.  

Mitchel

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, SeabeeRon said:

....  If you get a chance there are a bunch of guys on another "Friendly" metal detecting forum that would would love to see what you all found!

My stuff if posted there.   But Brian has yet to add in his pix there.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SeabeeRon said:

You and Tom always have the best "roadtrips"!!

Really enjoy reading about all your adventures.  If you get a chance there are a bunch of guys on another "Friendly" metal detecting forum that would would love to see what you all found!

Thanks Ron!

On 12/15/2022 at 12:16 PM, Tom_in_CA said:

Yes.  I'm not trying to boast or anything, but ... it *is* rather curious that Brian didn't get any coins on this trip, eh ?   I keep telling him that my preferred pronoun is "Oh Mighty One".   But ... he refuses.   So someone do me a favor and ask him :  "How many seated coins did you find on this trip Brian ?"    🤨

(just kiddin' Brian, I luv ya bro ! 😁 )

Watch that satire ... Big Brother is watching.  haha

• Haha 2