New Legend Coils And Update

27 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

Park separates better than Field. 

Hi Rick.

Why do you think Park separates better than Field? More specifically, separation ability is mainly a factor of the recovery speed, and the default recovery speed is the same in Park as it is in Field.

Using this test. I was using Iron Filter 1, Stability 4, Pitch, Recovery 3 and Tone Break or Disc at 8 for 6" coil and 9 for 11" coil. When the legend came out, it was said M1 best on high conductors and M2 was best on low conductors. I don't know how they are set up.

With the settings I used, Park & M2 has the best separation. The Legend would hit the coin all around with the 6" coil and 11" coil. Id swept parallel over the nails was 11. Turn 90 degrees was 35.

Test.jpg

• Like 1

I did some "air tests" this afternoon (I know, they're only air tests) and found out a few things that I misunderstood. The tests were done in my kitchen.

1.  M1 and M2 are quite similar in performance but I think that M1 goes a little bit deeper (only a cm or two, nothing more).
  2. The depth performance for Park and Field are similar but I noticed that Park was more stable. 
  3. Single frequencies are less performant, especially the higher ones. I had the feeling that with all single fequencies, there was something that was missed or less easily detected.
  4. Reactivity matters a lot in the depth of the detector. There was +/- 10cm difference between 1 and 10 where 1 was the deepest. I got the best result with 4 so that's where I set my reactivity now. But keep in mind that the places where I search are relatively clean.
  5. Audio gain & tonal settings are not to be underestimated. Ok, they do not affect the depth in any way but think of it as the sonar of a submarine : the deep targets sound a lot quiter with a lower audio gain which means that you can miss them (certainly if you work by ear like me). Same goes for the volume of each tone, if the volume is too low, you run the risk of missing it.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Digalicious said:

If I remember correctly, there is no difference in the frequency weighting between Park and Field. I wouldn't expect there to be a difference, but I'm going to try and find out for certain.

Please let us know what you find out. I expect the weighting of the frequency to stay constant but the Filtering should be different between Modes.(Park Field) & also Beach Goldfield.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JCR said:

Please let us know what you find out. I expect the weighting of the frequency to stay constant but the Filtering should be different between Modes.(Park Field) & also Beach Goldfield.

Will do 🙂

What exactly are you referring to with "filtering"?

16 minutes ago, HerrUU said:

1. Reactivity matters a lot in the depth of the detector. There was +/- 10cm difference between 1 and 10 where 1 was the deepest. I got the best result with 4 so that's where I set my reactivity now. But keep in mind that the places where I search are relatively clean.

Wow. 4 inches? 

I could have sworn that when I tested that, the difference was only about 1". Then again maybe I'm not remembering correctly. Your post has definitely spurred me to test that again.

A lot of things can be different like the type of target, sensitivity settings (at 20) and so. But I was also surprised to see this result. So I'm interested to see what results you'll get.

8 minutes ago, HerrUU said:

A lot of things can be different like the type of target, sensitivity settings (at 20) and so. But I was also surprised to see this result. So I'm interested to see what results you'll get.

Well I'll be damned.

I did indeed remember incorrectly, because I just did an air test, and yes, the difference was about 4". That was an eye opener for me.

Thanks Herr. I'm going to take that into account and likely won't run as high as a recovery speed as I normally do in trashy sites. I normally run 8, but I think I'll end up dropping that to 5 once I also compare the separation ability.

• Like 1

As I understand it, Filtering is how the signal is demodulated/processed by the detector. What parts of the signal are enhanced or suppressed as in Park has less favor for lower conductor Aluminum/Foil range targets & Field less affinity for small ferrous. Beach to be less effected by the low conductive salt.

As far as Recovery Speed effect on depth, there is a noticeable difference at the upper (8-10) end. On the flipside, I have not noticed a big difference between 3-1. The difference is in the optimal swing speed at these lower recovery settings. 1 requires a VERY slow sweep or it will miss DEEP targets. 2 is not near as finicky, 3 is almost as deep as 1. Targets at medium depth are much more forgiving. This is a for cleaner ground that has low mineralization.  When you get into more mineralized ground the Recovery setting has to be increased a good bit or you will miss targets. 6-7 seems optimal for my sites so far. There is still a lot to learn in this high mineral setup as everything(frequency choice, recovery, sensitivity, ground balance) has to be right, hot ground is not very forgiving if targets are over 4" deep.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JCR said:

1 requires a VERY slow sweep or it will miss DEEP targets. 2 is not near as finicky, 3 is almost as deep as 1.

I ended up with 3 - 4 being the "sweet spot" where I only lost a few cm but as you say, the swing speed was a lot better. It's not all about depth after all 🙂

• Like 1