New Legend Coils And Update

12 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Thanks for the report. Can you clarify or be more specific regarding your real world depth loss experience?  

Hi Chase.

I don't know if this matters much, but when I had a Simplex, I compared the 11" round DD coil with the 9.5x5 coil, and in my test bed, I'd say I only lost about 1" on coins lying flat, and no apparent depth loss on small targets such as coins on edge. My guess as to the latter, is that the 9.5x5 coil has a "tighter" field that makes it more sensitive to small targets compared to the round 11". Other things to consider of course with the smaller coil, is that it's much lighter, has better separation and unmasking abilities, and is less susceptible to emi and ground noise (so sensitivity can be increased higher than the 11").

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that once a coil gets larger than about 11", then the depth advantage diminishes very quickly on coin size and smaller targets.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Digalicious said:

Hi Chase.

I don't know if this matters much, but when I had a Simplex, I compared the 11" round DD coil with the 9.5x5 coil, and in my test bed, I'd say I only lost about 1" on coins lying flat, and no apparent depth loss on small targets such as coins on edge. My guess as to the latter, is that the 9.5x5 coil has a "tighter" field that makes it more sensitive to small targets compared to the round 11". Other things to consider of course with the smaller coil, is that it's much lighter, has better separation and unmasking abilities, and is less susceptible to emi and ground noise (so sensitivity can be increased higher than the 11").

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that once a coil gets larger than about 11", then the depth advantage diminishes very quickly on coin size and smaller targets.

Yep.  I'm a fan of the smaller ellipticals for all the reasons stated.  I have 10x5 permanently bolted to my Nox 900 (previously the 800).  But I was just trying to separate fact from folklore.  Many underplay the fact that you will lose depth vs. the stock, and was trying to get a handle on that based on HerrUU’s run.  1” is not insignificant but also realistic, thanks for that info on the Simplex comparison.  Looking closer at the specs, I noticed also that the Legend LG24 Coil is a 9.5x6 (vs. the Simplex SP24 which is a 9.5x5) so I suspect that the Legend LG24 depth loss will be even less as the total coil surface areas between the LG24 and LG28 (stock round) are similar at 565.5 sq. cm vs 615.8 sq. cm. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Looking closer at the specs, I noticed also that the Legend LG24 Coil is a 9.5x6 (vs. the Simplex SP24 which is a 9.5x5) so I suspect that the Legend LG24 depth loss will be even less as the total coil surface areas between the LG24 and LG28 (stock round) are similar at 565.5 sq. cm vs 615.8 sq. cm. 

So I'm not the only one nerdy enough to use an ellipse and concentric, surface area calculator 😁

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Can you clarify or be more specific regarding your real world depth loss experience?  Is that what you discovered in your field run or what you heard?

It's what I noticed during my field run. Of course, one field trip is perhaps not enough to say this for sure and there are lots of other factors that impact the depth but I ran the same field a few weeks ago on an adjacent strip and I found targets at similar depths. 

Note that the field I was hunting was pretty clean, there's iron and can slaw present but you can search in all metal mode without too much problems. So in M3 I was running the machine at a sensibility of 27 after ground balancing and noise cancelling.

Regarding the physics : The 11" coil get's the same amount of power as the 9.5" coil so I wonder if that means that the 9.5" coil gets more "power per inch coil". Probably, under good circumstances, the 11" coil will go a bit deeper but not by much is my experience at the moment. Next weekend I'm going on a hunt again and I'll be able to get more experience to elaborate on my claim.

It's very difficult to do a good comparison between two coils on the same machine. Every target's different, every spot where you find something too. To get to a serious conclusion, you should compare every target with both coils ran under the same settings and do this for enough targets to get a large enough sample to be able to draw a statistical conclusion. (I'm an analyst, what can I say 😉 ) I'm not going to drag two coils in the field to do this test so I follow my gut feeling that the difference between the two is not that great. 

Forgot something : the lighter weight of the smaller coil makes it a lot more fun to swing with less strain on your body 🙂

• Like 1

This is where an established test garden is invaluable to learn a detector.

• Like 2

True, it's on my 'to-do' list but it'll be for the spring when the weather gets better. I have been saving some nails, old iron and coins for that purpose.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Rad🤙🏻