Watching For The Manticore Boat

PSPR

1 hour ago, xpmoguy said:

I'll wait one more week on the Manticore and then I'll get the Deus2.

38 minutes ago, MetalDiggrz said:

I'm with you. Next Friday I'm ordering a Deus II.

Wow, I wonder if XP saw this coming -- Minelab comes out with a new, supposedly competitor to XP's flagship that results in a sales windfall.  XP, you'd better ramp up production, quick!  :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

With a 900 already in hand, you're not missing much as far as M-core is concerned (IMO), and you have $500 -$600 still in your pocket that you can apply to another detector.

I agree but I'm a 6 year CTX user. I've gotten pretty proficient with the 2D screen, it's become a tool I lean on with every hit. If you've never used one you're not missing it, if you have, you'll want to keep it. I've been in a holding pattern for almost 3 years wanting to replace the CTX, I'm ready.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MetalDiggrz said:

I agree but I'm a 6 year CTX user. I've gotten pretty proficient with the 2D screen, it's become a tool I lean on with every hit. If you've never used one you're not missing it, if you have, you'll want to keep it. I've been in a holding pattern for almost 3 years wanting to replace the CTX, I'm ready.

Well, since you've decided to go Deus 2 and with your CTX experience, you might find the D2 X-Y display useful, though its a different scheme.  I find the D2 and Nox to be a formidable complimentary combo and it is in that context that I am not fully bought in to Manticore...yet.  If ML did not sneak the Nox 900 in there, I would be more interested in M-core and am certainly interested in the 2D display's possibilities.  Regardless, 900 or no 900, I was going to wait on M-core at least until they released the small coil.

Just now, Chase Goldman said:

Well, since you've decided to go Deus 2 and with your CTX experience, you might find the D2 X-Y display useful.

I prefer to stay ML, I'm still hoping to hear form my dealer on the pre-order. Is the XY line similar to the CTX 2d?

2 hours ago, MetalDiggrz said:

I prefer to stay ML, I'm still hoping to hear form my dealer on the pre-order. Is the XY line similar to the CTX 2d?

No, it's a different scheme - the linearity and slope of the displayed "target line" gives the user some clues as to the nature of the target. 

IMO not nearly as sophisticated as the M-core 2D (which, in turn, is not as sophisticated as the CTX due to the lack of the FeCo target ID scheme on M-core). 

TBH - I don't personally find the X-Y screen or 2D graphical displays as useful as others because my brain is trained to extract target information from nuances in target audio.  If I had gotten a CTX instead of a Deus 7+ years ago, the story might have been different.  Deus pitch audio and full tones facilitate iffy target dig decisions for me, 50 tones on Nox 800 was more discriptive but Nox 800 Gold mode pitch audio was closer to what I was used to on Deus.  Now that ML has incorporated D-pitch audio in the Nox 900 as a tone option for ALL modes and the additional audio customization on M-core ML has closed some of the audio gap with Deus.  I suspect that even if I were to eventually get the M-core, the M-core audio would be my primary iffy target discriminator vs. the 2D display. 

• Like 2

I could have bought a Manticore twice from Cabelas in the past 3 weeks. But I passed. IMO if you have a 900 and a D2 you're not going to gain much with the Manticore. That being said I'm still planning on getting one at some point.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 11:42 AM, abenson said:

I could have bought a Manticore twice from Cabelas in the past 3 weeks. But I passed. IMO if you have a 900 and a D2 you're not going to gain much with the Manticore. That being said I'm still planning on getting one at some point.

I've been checking and there's nothing on their site. Do they pop up randomly?

7 minutes ago, MetalDiggrz said:

I've been checking and there's nothing on their site. Do they pop up randomly?

I could have ordered one just before Christmas and again last Thursday between Christmas and New Years. What happens is if they get a bunch in stock they will come up in search. If you add to cart and it doesn't change to currently out of stock they have them to ship. Once they are out, it will change to out of stock but they will eventually just take them back off the site. Seems like they are getting some every few weeks.

On 1/6/2023 at 8:35 AM, xpmoguy said:

Been patiently waiting on Manticore since August 31. After charging and going through all my gear I spent a few hours perusing information on the Deus2. While I am not totally enamored with trying to teach this old dog some new tricks (learning another detecting system) I am fed up with a company that does not communicate and sends machines to box stores and folks like Calabash 

Don't forget Deus sent Calabash a machine as well... just sayin but I do get your frustration on the wait.

strick

• Like 1