Watching For The Manticore Boat

PSPR

So Minelab is not prioritizing their actual dealers first? It's insane Cabelas would get Manticores before specialty metal detector dealers? I don't get it! Especially when those dealers took pre-orders and big box sporting goods sellers don't.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 1/3/2023 at 11:09 AM, longbow62 said:

So Minelab is not prioritizing their actual dealers first? It's insane Cabelas would get Manticores before specialty metal detector dealers? I don't get it! Especially when those dealers took pre-orders and big box sporting goods sellers don't.

Cabelas also received and distributed a lot of Equinox 800's early back in 2018 while those on small dealer waiting lists were left waiting.  It's the way of the modern world....

I actually bought an 800 from Cabelas back in that crazed rush.  It turned out to be out-of-stock (guess they didn't turn off the incoming spigot fast enough) but I still got it within about 3 weeks or so after I ordered it.  I like Cabellas and (sibling/parent?) Bass Pro Shops but this time I'm going with Gerry.  Who needs the money more, that big conglomerate or poor Gerry trying to scrape together a few clams to make another Cancun trip?? 🤔  😢

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I remember that happened with the 800, but if I'm not mistaken it was not at the initial time of release that the big boxes got them. It was later on. like months after. You could get the 600's everyone had them, but the 800 was few far between. Then all of a sudden Bass Pro had 800's in stock. I prepaid with CC very early with a dealer who I figured sells quite a few detectors. I just figured Minelab would get them to their actual serious die hard dealer's before shipping to big box outfit like Bass Pro etc..

Am I wrong that most metal detector sales come from specialty places that only really sell metal detectors and related stuff? A $1,600.00 metal detector is a specialty item. I just don't see your average Joe not seriously deep in the hobby buying a $1,600.00 detector. If it was in an actual store I can't see a detector that expensive sitting on a shelf in Bass Pro. That would be weird to me. 

Everyone else I know with a detector around here, which is a few folks, got them either at big box stores or online from Amazon.  To go just by the people I personally know, it's a wonder small specialty dealers even still exist.

There's tons of stuff way more expensive than $1600 all over the place inside a Cabelas.  Or any other big sporting goods store.  Scheels is another one that always has Minelabs on display.  Sportsmans Warehouse.  Others.  They all sell detectors and as far as I would know, in real life, not the internet, that is where everyone buys them.

- Dave

On 1/2/2023 at 4:39 AM, TroyLPN said:

My #1 bucket list find right there!  I probably dig enough gold jewelry on the beach every year to make 2 or 3 of them...but still not the same as finding one of those!  The ring was found near the barber and there was no stamp so I'm guessing probably 1890-1920. 

We're finding some really cool old stuff since the hurricanes.  Did you see the news about the old ship from the 1800's that got exposed at Daytona Shores?  I did go detecting at the beach near it a few times and found a few older peices of silver jewelry, nothing spectacular. I made sure to stay at least 100 yards from the actual wreck though.  You should come visit us with your detector!  It was 82 degrees down there yesterday and there are old silver coins being found every day from Ormond down to Ponce Inlet.  Fun times!

So tempting... Spent 6 hours in a heavily worked site yesterday... chipping away on the frozen ground for several targets. Nothing to show except getting my detecting fix relieved. Some days your the windshield and some days your the 🪲. I am tired of waiting for my Manticore so I sold a couple of older machines from the stable and ordered a 900. It arrives tomorrow. Yeah... I probably need the 12 step program for detector addict's 🤔. Keep your finds coming...they keep moral up!

• Like 2

This is what's regularly happening, people are giving up waiting for a Manticore and buying a 900 instead.  This can't be good for Minelab's bottom line, both detectors similar cost to make, if not the 900 package more expensive to manufacturer with the extra coil included yet people are giving up on the higher profit margin Manticore to buy the 900.   The longer the Manticore takes the more this will happen. 

Yes they still get the sale, but they're losing profit by doing so, and also further damaging their reputation.  Hopefully in the future they learn from their mistakes and plan releases far better than this disaster.

For me it's looking like the 20th of January now for my Manticore, I won't be jumping on the bandwagon and changing my order to a 900 though, for me the Manticore is the one I want.  I've still not seen a reason I'd need the 900 for my personal needs when the Manticore exists and I own a 800 with all the necessary upgrades.   I'm hoping I'll never even use my 800 again once I get the Manticore and accessory coils so that means I'd never use the 900 either, fingers crossed I'm right there 😛

• Like 4