Manticore In Iron (nail Beds)

strick

2 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

If it was just iron it would probably be easier to accept that narrow spot. I'm guessing the way to do it is to read the target with no discrimination and see where the pattern lands. I would think it would travel from a certain number in the non ferrous line and continue up into the ferrous line. It would probably look like how a nail responds sometimes. But it sounds like it could work unless a nail displays in the same exact spot as the coin would.

That would work if those coins were at the same depth and orientation. Given that they're not, I would think that the position of the line from ferrous to nonferrous would vary considerably depending on depth and orientation of those coins.

Although, that wouldn't be a problem if one is digging all the nonferrous signals, and digging the mixed nonferrous / ferrous signals.

22 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

That would work if those coins were at the same depth and orientation. Given that they're not, I would think that the position of the line from ferrous to nonferrous would vary considerably depending on depth and orientation of those coins.

Although, that wouldn't be a problem if one is digging all the nonferrous signals, and digging the mixed nonferrous / ferrous signals.

It probably will vary, hopefully not too much, but you could extend the iron section that you want to include by 2 or 3 numbers, so that the ferrous signal is accepted. The non ferrous signal from the coin would probably already be accepted if you were set up to include all non ferrous. I think MInelab had a video on notching in iron coins. If it were me, I would only focus on adjusting the iron response from the mixed metal coin. Tighten the iron response only enough to include a couple of numbers, and the rest of the mixed signal should come through. Just my thinking on it.

43 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Well School, it would be an interesting experiment to see how TT changes with a nonferrous / ferrous coin at different depths and orientation 🙂

Air tests are not the best, and I don't have the coin in question, but I tried a steel core Canadian quarter with a smaller brass coin on top. In ground scenario with the coin in question, would be the best though. I'm gonna say that strict coil height and sweep control is pretty important. In these pictures you can see what happens when you run the coin over the coil without strict control. The numbers fluctuate by 3 or 4 in the iron range, but that still may work for one particular coin. The brass coin alone reads 52, but on top of (and in front of) the nickel/iron quarter, the readings drop a bit. Again this is just to show you the reaction of the screen.

20230101_174719.jpg

20230101_174816.jpg

20230101_174756.jpg

20230101_175010.jpg

20230101_174943.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Found this on the Manticore FB page from Marc Sciance, apparently not everyone is having problems with the Manticore in iron areas:

"Dale and I took our Manticores out on their maiden voyage today to a pounded and trashy Civil War camp and let me say Minelab has really hit it out of the park with the Manticore! OMG what a machine! Simple to use. Unbelievable separation and speed. And it won't let you dig nails! I am speechless! Here are our finds from today."

image.thumb.png.2991949ead5c99a13aafecbc9e4ff4d2.png

• Like 5

18 hours ago, cobill said:

Found this on the Manticore FB page from Marc Sciance, apparently not everyone is having problems with the Manticore in iron areas:

"Dale and I took our Manticores out on their maiden voyage today to a pounded and trashy Civil War camp and let me say Minelab has really hit it out of the park with the Manticore! OMG what a machine! Simple to use. Unbelievable separation and speed. And it won't let you dig nails! I am speechless! Here are our finds from today."

Yep it's not deep nails falsing that are a problem but there is some falsing on shallow iron targets that may require the operator to make some adjustments to the machine for a comfortable hunt depending on the ground they are hunting. If you look at the first picture in this thred there are only 2 nails that I dug and one was a roofing nail that would give anything  fit. That was in a nail infested area.  Heck the first time I took the Deus 2 into the foothills hot dirt it was falsing left and right till I figured out how to correct it. There was the video posted by a youtuber which Is why I started this thred...showing them digging out a 2 foot deep target that ended up being iron and them stating that the machine had a iron falsing problem. If they were paying attention to the iron audio and red line indicator they should have had it figured out easily...We still need more users to get all the quirks figured out but my feeling is that people will slowly gravitate toward it.....after all the Manticore replaces the etrac...

strick 

• Like 3

I weakened lol said I was not going to watch anymore you tubers videos but just watched a couple of iffy signals latest. And horay he actually turns 90 degrees( a worthwhile check with minelabs)on a target and iron confirmation is indicated. My problem is that I will upgrade but the 900 seems to keep up with the Manticore very well. Being a long term 800 user I am not convinced yet that the Manticore is better than the 900 at separation and unmasking. If it isn't then the 900 seems a good upgrade.

• Like 3

Doesn't matter what new machine comes out, never giving up the 800 it's like magic, the Mcore / 900 have some really big shoes to fill. 

You know the story old park hunted for years and years even with club hunts each year. 

It went up to 60 the other day, I found a total of 4 coins, nothing else left except what the 800 hits. (same place everyone has always hunted)

image.png.8bc3254d43c9c5de4bb609834c446ffe.png

• Like 8

Nice condition coins too.