My Custom Deus 2 Straight Shaft From Steve’s Detector Rods

Steelheader

Nice rig, Steelheader! 👍 I think it has a much better look than some others I've seen. 🤔 Heck if he added one more camlock after the handgrip you'd have a convertible! 😀 Wish I'd thought of that... HH

• Like 2

steelheader -- I am SO GLAD you are pleased with the custom rig!  I'm really glad I was able to meet your need, and that it pleases you the way it turned out!

Thank you!

Steve

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NCtoad said:

Very nice!   Can someone explain the advantages (or differences) in a straight rod verses the S shaped stock rod?

The center of gravity of a S rod is located a little upper than on a straight rod , then closer to the users's arm axis . Then a S rod reduces the pendulum effect ( less weight under the handle ) during the detector motion. 

Long story short a S rod is a little more stable in the hand and more cumfortable to use .  

This is why a lot of detectors use S rods I think . On the other hand S rods are more complex to design-manufacture , because of the more complex shape of the S handle . Steveg will probably confirm ... 🙂

On the other hand a Deus with a very light coil like the 9" FMF ( 330g ) is so light that the difference between a S rod and a straight rod is imperceptible to my opinion . 

Personally I use a straight shaft coming from a Quest Q30 , and will probably order Steveg's carbon shaft as it is lighter than mine ..

• Like 5

I’m not an engineer, so I can’t speak on the technical aspects of the S rod vs the straight shaft.  All I can say is that the straight shaft just feels better to me when swinging my detector.  Others probably prefer the S shaft over the straight shaft.

• Like 2

For me, the S shaft puts more stress on my wrist whereas the straight shaft puts the stress on my forearm . I feel no difference on my shoulder, one to the other. JMHO.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steelheader said:

I’m not an engineer, so I can’t speak on the technical aspects of the S rod vs the straight shaft.  All I can say is that the straight shaft just feels better to me when swinging my detector.

As someone that is 6'4"> a LONG straight shaft is necessary! 

• Like 1