Army Camp Relics

That's a lot of interesting targets. Your ammo clip looks to be an embloc 8 round for the M1 Garand. 30-06 caliber.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'd be careful with the live rounds.  Some clubs won't even let you put them on a finds table.  Not supposed to mail em either.   Maybe you can find a collector local for face to face transfer.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've found some live beach rounds before and I was told to call the police.  They came and took them from me rather than me go to the station.  If you take them to a station, they call the bomb squad.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

One campground I visited was very grateful I dug about 5 rounds of Remington 35 from a hole about 2 feet from a fire pit. 😀 💥 Campers move fire pits all the time. That's some big stuff.

What a great place to hunt, looks like nobody's been there. 👍

• Like 2

If ammunition gets noticeably wet or is exposed to enough humidity that moisture enters the primer, then it can be deactivated. It takes a good amount of moisture and humidity to do so, and it usually happens in the case of repeat exposure — but it is certainly possible.

will-porada-BMbgMSBYCyA-unsplash-300x194

If this does happen, the primer will be deactivated as well as the propellant charge, which makes the ammunition completely useless. A tell-tale sign of any propellant charge or primer deactivation is to find rust or discoloration on the primer or the rim of the ammunition case. When you see discoloration or rust, you can be confident that the ammunition has lost its function and is unusable. That ammo in your photo is really corroded, most likely it's deactivated from water exposure, but to be on the safe side pick up  a surplus metal  ammo box,  for storage when you transport.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That is some history you dug, looks like you had fun during your outing and got plenty of exercise.

Good luck on your next outing and stay safe.

• Thanks 1

What a great hunt and excellent assortment of WWII era finds! Those buttons are WWII era Army issue and were usually found on jacket sleeves and shoulder tabs. The brass US insignia was mounted on the jacket lapel with a coin-shaped brass screw back. Congrats again on all the cool finds and a silver dime to boot, well done!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Calarms said:

If ammunition gets noticeably wet or is exposed to enough humidity that moisture enters the primer, then it can be deactivated. It takes a good amount of moisture and humidity to do so, and it usually happens in the case of repeat exposure — but it is certainly possible.

will-porada-BMbgMSBYCyA-unsplash-300x194

If this does happen, the primer will be deactivated as well as the propellant charge, which makes the ammunition completely useless. A tell-tale sign of any propellant charge or primer deactivation is to find rust or discoloration on the primer or the rim of the ammunition case. When you see discoloration or rust, you can be confident that the ammunition has lost its function and is unusable. That ammo in your photo is really corroded, most likely it's deactivated from water exposure, but to be on the safe side pick up  a surplus metal  ammo box,  for storage when you transport.

I found this little beaut a few years ago out in the middle of BFE where it had no earthly business being.I decided that it would be better to leave it where It behind rather than to pack it out a half a mile over rough terrain and kayak the four miles back to my truck with it.Do you have any thoughts or advice about retrieving it and keeping around? 

1 hour ago, Doc Bach said:

Sorry about doubling up on the photos this is my 1st attempt at this

• Like 1