Issue With Axiom And Ground Noise

Gone Bush

On 1/8/2023 at 1:04 PM, Gold Catcher said:

I have been going back and forward with this, but I am landing now to get my first Garrett detector ever. So, you are still excited about the Axiom? Is the GB control as useful as I am reading? Is the reduction in ground noise cutting into selectivity/depth?

GC

Just having manual GB is useful, GB control is precise you can have the Axiom purring like a kitten with a nice steady threshold or as GB says dial it up from 5 to 8 if you like it ratty on most grounds, I have not had enough time behind it on the very variable ground I have that is overlaid by hot rocks to know its capability there (read; haven`t scored that heavy stuff on that ground as yet) but I`m fairly confident its got the go once I get the hang of it. Hey MLs got Z2 on the way has had since they released Z1...... Decisions decision decisions.... Toss a coin.........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

GB back on page 4 of this discussion I enquired if you had tried running that previous Axiom's Ground Track in Tracking over that highly mineralised creek ground, and you had for no difference to handle that ground compared to Ground Track turned Off. 

As you have another Axiom that is now performing much better, I am curious if this Axiom using one of its three options of Ground Tracking speeds in either Slow, Medium or Fast may help to tame that particular creek's ground more so than Ground Track set to Off. 

Also not knowing what the 6000's Ground Track speed is set too, I assume Slow, as well unable to adjust its speed as you can with the Axiom, then maybe, just maybe, Medium or Fast Tracking with that Axiom may tame that type of mineralised creek ground more so than the 6000 could? 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, goldenoldie said:

GB back on page 4 of this discussion I enquired if you had tried running that previous Axiom's Ground Track in Tracking over that highly mineralised creek ground, and you had for no difference to handle that ground compared to Ground Track turned Off. 

As you have another Axiom that is now performing much better, I am curious if this Axiom using one of its three options of Ground Tracking speeds in either Slow, Medium or Fast may help to tame that particular creek's ground more so than Ground Track set to Off. 

Also not knowing what the 6000's Ground Track speed is set too, I assume Slow, as well unable to adjust its speed as you can with the Axiom, then maybe, just maybe, Medium or Fast Tracking with that Axiom may tame that type of mineralised creek ground more so than the 6000 could? 

Hi Mate,

Really hate auto ground tracking so never thought to give it a run with the replacement machine.
Just a trust issue.
However, I admit that 6000’s auto tracking in Auto 2 (maxed out or 12) with threshold back on did not seem to be very intrusive and, as far as I know, did not impact my weight at all. Possibly even helped.
As you said, I would also assume it’s preset at slow or very slow because it still allowed the feedback while pinging tiny targets.
As noisy and variable as Axiom sounds on the ground variations in that creek, that’s exactly how I want it to be.
The more even a threshold is, the less I trust what I’m hearing.
Even on very mild ground I will crank a detector up until I can hear even the slightest variations in mineralisation.
While I fully understand what you mean and you now have me curious, it would be, for me, like going from a mono coil to DD. 🤮
Been thinking the reason I took to Axiom so quickly is that it allows me to have that undulating and very communicative threshold while still giving me confidence that any target will be easily audible above that threshold.
Thats where the tone adjustment is so awesome and such an underrated feature, especially for me.
The tone of the 6000 is not bad per se but now, having the ability to make the detectors tone suit me rather than vice versa, has shown me just how important tone adjustment is.
Axiom may not actually be any better than 6000 at target separation and it’s just the adjustable and more personalised tone that makes it seem that way. Likely a bit of both.
Another thing worth mentioning, regarding tone, after a day using Axiom I don’t feel like I’ve had enough the way I do with the 6000. I don’t take the Axioms headphones of and think ‘thank god for that’ like I do with 6000. Doesn’t seem as mentally draining as 6000. 
Gave Axiom to Bo tonight so he can have a play this week while I’m busy with other things.
Wasn't going back to hell creek again but it’s only about 3 klms off the Coolgardie road so once I get Axiom back I will call in on the way past for a quick swing and mess about with auto tracking and make a video.
I’ll go right down the south end where we got the shits with all the rubbish. 
At least that might show target response on that ground with auto tracking on and off.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Gone Bush said:

...... once I get Axiom back I will call in on the way past for a quick swing and mess about with auto tracking and make a video.......

Okay, thanks again GB for your reply.

Also, when you are able to get your 6000 back to video test it there as well.

Hi GB, when you get Axiom back from Bo, will you be able to post his thoughts on Axiom? Was hoping to have a look at an Axiom today but dealer had no stock, so will have to wait.

Cheers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, peterinaust said:

Hi GB, when you get Axiom back from Bo, will you be able to post his thoughts on Axiom? Was hoping to have a look at an Axiom today but dealer had no stock, so will have to wait.

Cheers

Hi Peter,

Will do.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Swegin said:

I have been enjoying your Youtube videos.  Thanks for uploading those.

No worries, you must be bored!!! 

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Hi all...

I too have just come back from the Cue -Meeka area with same problems.

This new Axiom could not be used with either the mono nor DD coils. Just way too noisy and continuous GB. I was also digging not just kicking aside hotrocks which previously I could "hear" and ignore with my other machines. I took videos of the unit working the area in ALL  modes and settings. Also made a test area for comparisons and recorded results. Am hoping I too have a dud unit otherwise it's no good to me. I used both my 2300 and 4500 to actually find the gold I came back with. Too be clear I am not bagging this machine before Garrett has had the opportunity to look at it.