Looking For Some Opinions. What’s The Best Single Frequency For Finding Lead Targets?

Dcraun

One of my favorite relic sites has heavily minimize soil and high-voltage powerlines going right through the middle of it. I’ve had great success using a modified version of park but I was wondering if there would be some advantages in the hot soil and high EMI using a  single frequency. Does anyone have any suggestions what frequency I should start with when looking for lead mini balls about 8 inches deep in highly mineralized Virginia soil? With my current settings mini balls have been ringing up as an 82 and eagle buttons coming in around 75 or 76. I’m not getting a lot of audible EMI from the high tension powerlines but I’m wondering if silent EMI could be masking targets because things just sound differently at this site compared to other relic sites. I’ve gotten used to it but I’m wondering if things aren’t being masked.

3 hours ago, Dcraun said:

One of my favorite relic sites has heavily minimize soil and high-voltage powerlines going right through the middle of it. I’ve had great success using a modified version of park but I was wondering if there would be some advantages in the hot soil and high EMI using a  single frequency. Does anyone have any suggestions what frequency I should start with when looking for lead mini balls about 8 inches deep in highly mineralized Virginia soil? With my current settings mini balls have been ringing up as an 82 and eagle buttons coming in around 75 or 76. I’m not getting a lot of audible EMI from the high tension powerlines but I’m wondering if silent EMI could be masking targets because things just sound differently at this site compared to other relic sites. I’ve gotten used to it but I’m wondering if things aren’t being masked.

Are you asking about the best single frequency setting for Deus 1 or the new Deus 2?

29 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Are you asking about the best single frequency setting for Deus 1 or the new Deus 2?

Sorry I didn’t make that more clear. I’m speaking of single frequencies on the Deus2 in a effort to reduce EMI.

Never hunted there but ground conditions may require SMF instead of single frequency to get decent depth.

Overhead power lines may limit you to 18kHz or higher single frequency which won’t be bad for mid conductors………depth?????

23 hours ago, Dcraun said:

Sorry I didn’t make that more clear. I’m speaking of single frequencies on the Deus2 in a effort to reduce EMI.

Since this is the Deus 2 forum, no need to apologize, however it would be helpful to give us more information regarding how you have your custom Park program set up and also the number of bars you are seeing on the mineralization meter - I am familiar with hot Culpeper soil but not the Valley.  

Personally, I prefer Relic (with 00 notched out and IAR set to 5 so you get solid iron audio on ferrous targets) or Deep HC for max depth using Pitch/PCM audio for CW relics in hot or mild soil with Disc between 8 and 10 to give me solid ferrous audio.  I use pitch because it really pops from ferrous audio and gives me a better sense of the target profile (deep/small or shallow/large) to help with trash ID.  I then use TID to make my final dig decision.  I also like interrogating iffy targets with multiple modes/audio like searching with Deep HC then hitting the target with General or relic and also with a full tones setup.  Easy to do with adjacent custom programs set up so you just hit the plus/minus keys to quickly switch pack and forth between your primary search program and adjacent “interrogation” programs.  

Starting to experiment more with General (Pgm 1) based on feedback from F350 Platinum because it utilizes conductive soil subtraction (but has a 40 kHz top end that might have be counterproductive in the hot stuff but definitely makes it ring better off mid-conductive buttons).  If in hot soil (or thick junk) I tend to lean high on reactivity (2 to 2.5 or even 3 as it not only increases separation but cuts down on ground feedback and may help some on EMI) otherwise I take reactivity as low possible when I can in mild soil with widely scattered targets to max out depth.  I also need to do more experimentation with Sensitive (Pgms 2-4) since XP describes that program as being good for small targets in mineralized ground.  Park (Pgm 5) appears to be similar to sensitive in terms of ground handling but tops out at 24 vice 40 khz.  Still learning the nuances of these various programs and how they react to mineralized ground.

Regarding EMI - I personally recommend staying in SMF vs. Mono if noise cancel is actually suppressing audible EMI.  Wouldn’t worry too much about silent EMI if digging targets successfully.  If you want to try Mono in hot dirt, the lower frequencies help with depth in hot soil, but you need to counter that with generally higher reactivity settings.  Also experiment with ground tracking if the soil mineralization is highly variable and utilize the ground sensitivity settings to trade off ground noise with depth.

Can’t argue with success.  Pulled these relics out of thick modern trash and hot soil in Culpeper last month with the D2 set up as described (Deep HC in Pitch or Relic).  BTW they were mostly under roadside power lines that kept GPX's out of the area (along with the roadside discarded trash).

HTH

20221224_121716.jpg

• Like 6