Headphone Jack Compatibility And Modification

GB_Amateur

This post is a mixed bag and some parts pertain to many detectors.  However, I'm posting it in the Equinox sub-forum as I know all of it has relevance to the 800 model -- one which I own.  Maybe it will apply to other Equinox models and the new Manticore -- we'll find out soon.

Introduction:  The Minelab Equinox 800 (and 600 model) has four audio output options -- 1) internal speaker, 2) 3.5 mm headphone socket, 3) Bluetooth low latency APTX transmitter, and 4) proprietary very low latency transmitter.  The 800 model comes with a proprietary very low latency receiver (WM08 module) with 3.5 mm headphone socket plus the ML80 low latency APTX wireless headphones.  I've used all four audio methods, option 3 only with the supplied ML80's.  My strong preference is the very low latency channel with WM08 module and SunRay Pro Gold (standard headphone with 1/4" plug -- note this is not the special 'CTX3030' headphone set).  Yes, I'm one of those people who claims to notice the lag in the Bluetooth LL APTX.  I've used the WM08+Pro Gold combo probably 2/3 of my time with the Eqx.  I have a set of Bose wired earbuds (no longer made) for summertime use and most of the remaining 1/3 of the time has been with those.  Like most I prefer not to be tethered to the detector.  I also don't like the muffled sound of the ML80's (nor their latency) and have used them maybe 8 hours total.

Solution:  I'm about set with the WM08+Pro Golds or Bose earbuds for future hunts with the Eqx 800.  However I've been using a 3.5 mm male to 1/4" female adapter between the WM08 and the headphones.  I think I've burned through two of those already.  The first (cheapest) one sucked from the get-go.  The second (moderate cost) lasted me 4 years (over 700 hours) but eventually the contact made by plugging in its 3.5 mm male into the WM08 got flaky.  I still had to use shims for the 1/4" Pro Gold male to adapter's 1/4" female to get good contact there but that never failed.  (I did have to go from 3 washers to 4 at some point.)  Here is a photo of that setup:

100_0554.thumb.JPG.4ff65dbb6280615912d3cd8f6dfcbf7f.JPG

Note the four nylon washers.  My first goal was to eliminate this intermediary (eventually flaky) kluge by replacing the 1/4" plug with a 3.5 mm plug and doing away with the adapter and shims (washers).  To give myself the option of plugging this easily into the Eqx's 3.5 mm socket (or other detectors with 3.5 mm socket on the side of backside of its control module) I chose to go with an angle plugged.  Easy, right?  Nope.  Here are some options, all of which I tried:

3p5mm_plugs.thumb.JPG.58dc8b9c7444da679606b0252e0a6a0e.JPG

The one in the center was my first choice.  It didn't work with the Eqx 800 control unit socket (more on that shortly).  The one on the left did, but it's very difficult to implement due in part to having to bend the cable 90 degrees.  Secondly, it is rather poorly made (Amazon reviews rail against it) as it is difficult to solder to without melting the inline insulators.  Finally, the threaded aluminum joints are quite short and easily cross-threaded.  Inevitably even if you get everything soldered correctly you end up twisting the cable attaching all the pieces, weakening the individual wires of the cable where they are soldered.  I'm not the best solderer but I'm not the worst either.  I suspect a 95th percentile solder expert could get this to work.  That's not I.  I finally settled on the less than ideal (for backside module mounting) straight jack on the right.

OK, why didn't my first choice (middle device above) work?  Here is a photo of that plugged into the back of the Eqx800:

100_0555.thumb.JPG.b7648b623f4ecc7b2b14720b50d19ba7.JPG

Note how the chrome straight shaft is contacting the metal ring of the control module's entry port.  The height of that ring (and/or the depth of the active socket) prevents proper contact of the plugs three sections.  No go.  I only found one plug that worked (there may be more) -- the left one pictured earlier.  Here an illustration of that:

100_0556.thumb.JPG.197c1912394b926ab77e6cc90cd32841.JPG

As mentioned, I was unable to get a satisfactory installation of this plug so I went with the straight shank option (rightmost jack ealier).  Here is the finished cable end:

finished_straight-plug.thumb.JPG.9acd5022499f5597841fa1f1ac5fc6e7.JPG

Shown is a 3.5 mm female to 1/4" male adapter which is now required for some of my other detectors (e.g. Fisher F75 and White's TDI/SPP).  Right angle versions of that adapter exist (I think I have one).  These adapters seem to be more reliable than their cousins.

Loose ends:  There are other less than ideal solutions as well:  A) buy the recently released SunRay ProGolds with 90 degree 3.5 mm plug.  Well, that's another $150 to replace a headset that already works great.  Further I've seen a report/rumor that the speakers in those new ones are inferior to the original's speakers.  (Is that true, IDK.)  That would really P me O -- to spend that kind of money for a replacement that didn't perform as well as my already existing solution headset.  B) Buy Minelab's adapter.  Surely it works great in both the Eqx 800 control module and in the WM08 module.  Surely?  And last I looked (long time ago) it had a gouging price.  C) The straight plug on my final solution works just fine with the WM08 (of which I have two, BTW) so what's the problem?  Well, I (hopefully) soon with have the Manticore, and it has no proprietary module like the WM08.  So if I want to use the Sunray Pro Golds with it I'll need to plug directly into the control module.  Maybe I'll like the new ML105's that come stock with it.  But maybe I won't.  Maybe I'll be satisfied with the new Bluetooth latency.  But maybe I won't.  D) Why not use a 3rd party very low latency proprietary transmitter+receiver such as the Garrett Z-Lynk system?  Added weight, increased number of components/connections which can go flaky, etc.

It's always annoying to have something that works well for you taken away.  I feel like that is what ML is doing with the audio options of the Manticore -- no more very low latency proprietary option which allows for using my favorite headphones.  It's not a deal breaker, just an additional annoyance to find a way to deal with.

• Like 1

It sounds like you will need to get hold of a Bluetooth LE module that's similar to the WM08.
No doubt eventually such gizmo's will be made.
Failing that, buy some LE headphones, rip out the electronics, and re-house it all in a small 'project box' , with a stereo 3.5mm socket, and probably a higher-capacity ( longer-lasting) Lithium cell.
Tech problem : they use seperate electronics for each ear ... kinda complicates things.
  • Like 1

Running your own QUALITY headphones has been a PIA on the Equinox and Deus. Especially if you want the connection to be waterproof. 

Soultion: Since I do not have any machines that use a 1/4 jack, I had a regular 1/8 jack installed on all my headphones. THEN> I have Tony E. make me custom jumpers which use the factory spec. waterproof plug and a regular 1/8 connector on the other. 

I have been told the wired headphone circuit on the Equinox and Manticore are the same. But do not have the personal experience yet. Can any of you Manticore owners plug your Equinox phones in direct? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, midalake said:

Running your own QUALITY headphones has been a PIA on the Equinox and Deus. Especially if you want the connection to be waterproof. 

Soultion: Since I do not have any machines that use a 1/4 jack, I had a regular 1/8 jack installed on all my headphones. THEN> I have Tony E. make me custom jumpers which use the factory spec. waterproof plug and a regular 1/8 connector on the other. 

I have been told the wired headphone circuit on the Equinox and Manticore are the same. But do not have the personal experience yet. Can any of you Manticore owners plug your Equinox phones in direct? 

Picture of the headphones and installed jack, please.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of likes today, but we'll written GB, and others!!👍  Very useful info!

I bit the bullet early, on the proprietary cable, and had it run to the rear of the shaft with zip ties, to just under the arm cuff! That worked fine for quite awhile! Than I bought the Tony E's, and went back to the Wm08! Never liked the ML headphones, and use waterproof earbuds most of the time, due to the heat!!    Now just staying with the Wm08 for everything, as its the simplest and best working setup, and I can move it higher, if I get in the wet a few feet! Any more than that, than I connect the Tony's directly to the pod! But it's very rare i go in any deeper than 4 or 5 feet here! Plus I also now have a PI that can go much deeper, If I'm so inclined!!👍👍

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Headphone Jack Compatibility And Modification