Need Some GPX Tech Help. Volume In Headphones Barely Audible

After 5 months of technical issues with my headphones, batteries going bad and the such I borrowed a pair of headphones from a friend and made sure they worked on my MXT. Plugged her in and both sides of the headphones work great, headphones are old Jimmy Sierra blue in color, volume controls on both side. Acquired a barely used Minelab lithium battery form a forum member. So went off to my usual site to give it a go with my new Evolution coil. I am excited as I haven't been out for 4 or so months , I am like okay maybe a Christmas nugget today   😁 !! Battery charged full at 8 and off I go, I turn on the 4500 and the first thing I notice is my headphone volume is barely audible 😡 . Volume controls up all the way annothingng barely can hear a target. Not worth continuing I had an old battery and charged it and plugged in headphones , same thing !!! So what could be the problem? The headphones check out on the Whites MXT, but on Minelab I can barely hear it..appreciate the help or direction.

Threshold is almost inaudible too, not just targets?

If so, first thing I'd try is another curly cable since they are cheap, if you are using the same one with the 2 different batteries. My memory is crap and getting worse, but like 12 years ago I had some issue that I'm fairly certain was audio related, and in my process of elimination I tried a brand new curly cable and it fixed the problem. Pretty sure that curly cable has audio running through it from the battery to control unit because by memory there is a headphone amp in the battery on the 4500's right?

• Like 2

yep, the curly cable has the audio run through it for the batteries amplifier.

There was a problem the amplifier blew in the batteries too causing very low volume.   Quite a few people had this happen.

Also the amplifier is disabled with a stereo plug so not to blow your ears off, are your headphones mono or stereo? If they're mono it maybe related to the amplifier output not working with your headphoones.  If they're stereo they should work fine. 

Just try some cheapo stereo headphones or ear buds using a stereo adapter to get them to1/4" if you have to and see if that works, it seems a lot of metal detector headphones are mono and that's no good for the GPX battery.

1016573638_HEADPHONEWIRING.jpg.76c7042fecc17529aa2ee29385e9d232.jpg

• Like 3

Jason and  Phurnt,

Thank you both for responding to my question and helping me troubleshoot my issue with the headphones. I have 3 batteries that I tried the old curly power cord on and all behaved the same way, low threshold and volume in both sides of headphone speakers. Lucky I have a spare power cord which I will try this morning to see if it works. I didn't  know audio wire ran in the curly cord, thought it was just power supply cord  that ran the amp. I am hoping that is it as I would hate to realize my amps in all 3 batteries are all shot, one I just purchased in August from a  forum member 🙂 that I haven't used until yesterday. They all seem to charge to max and green light, yellow, orange lights work fine. 

Phrunt,

My headphone 1/4 jack looks like the one in the diagram so they must be stereo, they do work fine on my Whites MXT. But from my research I now realize some headphones are finicky and may require trying out different brands. 

UPDATE,

Good news, it was the power cord guys sound came in clear and crisp and both sides of the headphones  !! Like Jason my memory is going, 🤨 and as I recall several years ago or more I had a similar issue but instead of sound being extremely low I had a loud warbly ( not sure if its even a word)  threshold that I could not stabilize no matter what I did to adjustments. Someone on the forum said replace the power cord, so I did and it fixed the problem. I am ordering a few extra cords and another headphone just in case. 2023 is coming, hope the gold gods are good to you all next year. 

• Like 6

Cool, glad it worked out!

Agree, it's a good idea to keep spare curly cables, those things do like to fail for some reason, probably happen again eventually. I ended up buying a Rooster Booster (like a Gold Screamer power pack kinda, before they existed) and a friend modded it to run RC car batteries so I could bypass that cable entirely. 🙂

• Like 3