Hi Steven, 

Thank you for being very informative in providing such a great video.

I do have a question: with iron check what if there is a gold nugget as well as a iron nail?  IDK what will be that sound like.

Also I am based in Australia and will be go prospecting in WA again next year. I am sort of wondering which should I have, a GPX 6000 (dad already has one) or Axiom? ( I have seen your reviews on different detectors however I still wonder if you have some personal opinion?

Many Thanks,
Ethan

On 12/20/2022 at 10:52 AM, Ethan in Adelaide said:

Hi Steven, 

Thank you for being very informative in providing such a great video.

I do have a question: with iron check what if there is a gold nugget as well as a iron nail?  IDK what will be that sound like.

Also I am based in Australia and will be go prospecting in WA again next year. I am sort of wondering which should I have, a GPX 6000 (dad already has one) or Axiom? ( I have seen your reviews on different detectors however I still wonder if you have some personal opinion?

Many Thanks,
Ethan

It will probably sound like iron. I can't emphasize enough that relying too much on iron discrimination and tone wizardry is a risky proposition with any PI detector.

As far as which you should own, that is a decision for you to make. I am not a salesperson and not in the business of trying to sort things out for anyone but myself. I have posted several times about the Axiom vs 6000 already, each time with my personal opinion on the subject. I have given what will likely be my last response as regards that subject just this morning on this thread, and will just point people there in the future. If you are not in a rush, the best bet is to wait 6 months and let the dust settle from actual purchasers getting out and using the detector, like Novic in Australia on the thread I just linked to. I think relying on any one opinion, even my own, is not a good idea. Time and consensus views are a much better way to go if you can afford to wait.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 12/22/2022 at 8:23 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

It will probably sound like iron. I can't emphasize enough that relying too much on iron discrimination and tone wizardry is a risky proposition with any PI detector.

As far as which you should own, that is a decision for you to make. I am not a salesperson and not in the business of trying to sort things out for anyone but myself. I have posted several times about the Axiom vs 6000 already, each time with my personal opinion on the subject. I have given what will likely be my last response as regards that subject just this morning on this thread, and will just point people there in the future. If you are not in a rush, the best bet is to wait 6 months and let the dust settle from actual purchasers getting out and using the detector, like Novic in Australia on the thread I just linked to. I think relying on any one opinion, even my own, is not a good idea. Time and consensus views are a much better way to go if you can afford to wait.

Hi Steve,

I really appreciate your reply and yes I will wait for while and see. Merry Christmas.

Kind regards,
Ethan

Hey Ethan I see you're still asking questions, that's great. This is just my opinion so take it as you will, It does appear you are interested in the Axiom, I think a lot people are as well, if for the only reason that it will give Minelab some competition. I'm not going to comment on the Axiom I know nothing about it. But I am going to comment on what I do know about the 6000. This information is from my cousin who was a professional miner all of his working life. He had a dry blowing outfit and did exploration work with it for junior mining companies in Western Australia, when he wasn't driving his front end loader to feed his dry blower he was detecting, so was his wife. They have found a lot of gold and he's owned every Minelab P.I. machine that's been made, as well as running Garretts in the 1980's and early 90's. I spoke to him recently, he is impressed with the 6000 so is his wife. To balance the discussion he has never to my knowledge used an Axiom, and if he had he may be impressed with that as well. My point is someone who has found more gold than most people and has more detecting experience, 45 years, likes the 6000. 

On 12/24/2022 at 5:44 AM, Ethan in Adelaide said:

Hi Steve,

I really appreciate your reply and yes I will wait for while and see. Merry Christmas.

Kind regards,
Ethan

• Like 1

So there you go Ethan, a less evasive answer from Steve. My post wasn't to convince you one way or another, I've not used either machine, it was just to point out what I know about the 6000 from a reliable source. I have suggested to you that asking questions is how we learn, the hard part is deciding which answer is correct. I also suggested that the more questions you ask the clearer the answer may become. One of the reasons I have been following your posts is that you said you were 'green' and was looking for advice, well I've been detecting for 45 years but when it comes to P.I. machines, I'm 'greener' than you. So I'm interested in what decision you make and how you go with the machine you choose, because I may be in the same position shortly. As Steve said in his post it does seem to be horses for courses, which would explain why people have a number of detectors. For me personally, the answer is becoming a little clearer, the Axiom does seem to have the edge, it appears to be more versatile.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2022 at 2:24 PM, blackjack said:

This information is from my cousin

This wouldnt happen to be a certain Tony and Lisa? To be completely fair, the Axiom is looking more and more like a solid competitor to the 6000. It has far more user options (although the 6000 is more likely to be a beginner favorite due to its almost compete automation) and leaves the operator more in control. Coils are going to be a winner for the Axiom and sensitivity is almost on par as well. If a beginner wants a detector to get started and get results, get the 6000. If you want a machine that also gets results but will 'grow' with you, as you learn how to run it more effectively, get the Axiom. My 2c worth.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Of course, the ideal situation is a 6000 with all the operator controls and coils (current and future) of the Axiom....probably sumthin that the 6000 shoulda been from the start :biggrin: but yeah.....Minelab with their wringing every last penny from the customer attitude (eg coil chips) and focus on dumbing down the user-interface to appease beginners (more new customers) and African buyers have put that concept in the bin.

Being in Adelaide (like me) you should also consider the fact that you have Minelab head office at Mawson Lakes in Adelaide - which is very convenient when you have repairs to a Minelab product as you can just drop it in and pick it up in a few days like i did recently with my GPX6000 speaker EMI upgrade.

• Like 1

Or, pick up a GPX 5000 and learn how to use it.  

There are some crazy cheap GPXs out there now. The GPX6 and the Axiom have killed the market for them. 

I’m still super keen to try an Axiom at my local haunts if anyone is near Northeast Victoria with one  🙂