Beginner Question

I have been interested in metal detecting for as long as I can remember. I’m 61 years old and retired. I’m going to purchase my first detector. I’m looking at the Equinox 800, 900 or Manticore. Being a beginner, I’m looking for some guidance in my purchase. I read a lot and watch the videos, but have never been out metal detecting. We are planning to move out of Alaska and look to do some traveling around the USA. Wintering in Arizona is our current plan. I appreciate any beneficial feedback. I plan to quit being a lurker here and probably be asking a lot of questions. I’ll try not be a pest. Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas. 

• Like 5

It's hard to go wrong with the Nox...would go with the 900 it would be a good first detector. The Manticore is just out.... the 900 is the offspring of the 800 which is  proven detector.

strick 

• Like 2

... And you just read that from someone who has a Manticore. 😀 

I went from a very successful stint with the Equinox 600 to the Deus 2. The safest bet you can make is going with the 900 at this point, the D2 is fabulous if you like a lightweight option. It's more than likely quite an improvement on the 800/600, arguably the most venerable of the "older" 😀 detectors. All have their quirks and growing pains. Good luck with your choice and congrats on retiring! 👍

• Like 2

After comparing the Equinox 800 and Equinox 900 for about a week for performance, build quality and for ergonomics, I see absolutely no reason to purchase a brand new Equinox 800 and then upgrade the shaft system a week later to a carbon fiber collapsible shaft. The 900 is a better detector in every aspect since it currently includes a collapsible carbon fiber shaft and the excellent 6” coil for small gold nugget prospecting. I am seeing slight performance improvements over the 800 also along with substantial feature improvements. So, for the money, the 900 is the smart choice. 

The Nokta Legend is a better choice over the Equinox 800 also after months of comparing the two personally. 

Deus 2 is a fine detector also, but if you plan to do some gold prospecting with it, I currently can’t recommend it. The Equinox 800, 900 and the Nokta Legend are far superior to Deus 2 for that type of hunting. That may change a bit when XP release the next software update. 

• Like 5

I tend to usually recommend new detectorists go with the detector with the best value (shallow learning curve with most performance and features (capability) for a given price).  Also known as bang for your buck.  The reason being that until you have done some actual detecting and realize you are going to be digging mostly trash vs. treasure (hours of "meh" punctuated by seconds of exhileration), it's best to have made only a modest investment until you're sure you've caught the detecting "bug".  You'll eventually want a backup detector if you stick with the hobby, so don't be afraid to leave a few features on the table to enable an eventual upgrade down the road (e.g., Legend or Nox now to D2 or Manticore or ? a year or 2 down the road).  To that end I recommend the following:

Legend is a great value and great performer but I personally haven't quite clicked with its interface for whatever reason.  Others have no issue with it.  Everything is there, just a lot of navigating needed to unlock it all (to their credit Nokta provides 4-way menu navigation similar to Manticore and a feature missing even on tge new Nox 700/900).  And they keep adding features and capabilities with updates which is a mostly positive thing but can also clutter things up a bit.  Nokta are about to release some additional, desirable elliptical accessory coils, too.  Great choice.  And you should be able to just turn it on and go.  The Legend has a proven months long track record.

My personal favorite would be the 700/900.  Definite all around worthwhile refresh of the 5-year-old 600/800 design, you can use the modes out of the box at the default settings with success and with 900 you get an extra small coil (similar to the Nokta Legend Pro Pack) and I think the physical ergonomics and weight now beat out the Legend (and blow away the 600/800 - no contest).  Needs a few more weeks to get inventory up and production quality bugs ironed out.

Save the D2 as a potential upgrade down the road if you are attracted to its ultralight features and infinite reconfigurability capabilities as well as its power or perhaps Manticore for raw power on coins and relics as it is gradually updated to tweak and optimize its performance features.

HTH

• Like 3

18 hours ago, REFAK said:

I have been interested in metal detecting for as long as I can remember. I’m 61 years old and retired. I’m going to purchase my first detector. I’m looking at the Equinox 800

No need to go past the 800 Equinox. Buy it USED!!!! They are a steal right now!!! and save a ton of money! 

If you decide to stick with the hobby, then an upgrade or second detector will be less painful.
Hint: In 25 years I have never bought a new detector. Always have bought off the forms from long-time members and have had great transactions! 

• Confused 1

You can buy a new Legend with a 3 year warranty for less than an out of warranty Equinox 800. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

You can buy a new Legend with a 3 year warranty for less than an out of warranty Equinox 800. 

Who makes those>>>🤣 
Got to tell ya Jeff. As a dedicated Salt Beach hunter, I have yet to see a GOOD Beach hunter using one!  Even now I struggle to find anyone touching Salt Water with one.
Yes, I know there was problems on release but that was long ago. 
I even tried to start a PM with a member here that is using one in Salt asking a few questions on performance>NO response>>> So there is that!