What Is Expected In The Upcoming Update?

Skate

I think you're referring to the Gold mode, Jeff, and that's an area I haven't been able to try yet. I did try out the Gold mode in a park a few times and it just pinged making every target sound good, so I haven't used it as it was intended. I too hope the update makes everyone happy, but would rather wait until it's fully cured and good to go than to have to do 10 updates to fix the updates and loose my custom settings each time. Sometimes faster is not better.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I think you're referring to the Gold mode, Jeff, and that's an area I haven't been able to try yet. I did try out the Gold mode in a park a few times and it just pinged making every target sound good, so I haven't used it as it was intended. I too hope the update makes everyone happy, but would rather wait until it's fully cured and good to go than to have to do 10 updates to fix the updates and loose my custom settings each time. Sometimes faster is not better.

Gold mode, poor sensitivity to sub 0.5 gram targets in every mode and the down averaging of non-ferrous IDs when targets are near iron or other non-ferrous targets.

I only have the 9ā€ coil also. Where I detect the Nox 900, Nox 800 and the Legend are just deeper but they are using 11ā€ coils. The 900 and 800 are as deep using the 10X5 Coiltek.

If XP can fix the issues I mentioned, I would consider keeping Deus 2 long-term and getting an 11ā€ coil.

• Like 2

Great tricks above for Virtual Box. Ā But I still think XP needs to make an updater compatible for both Mac and Windows they need to make a permanent solution and take ownership. Ā None of us should be having to load other software to run it. Ā Fortunately I have an old Windows laptop in addition to my Mac. Ā Cmon Man get with the times XP. Ā Hello XP there is 2 main computer platforms out there in the market place. Ā If your competitor can do it so can you. Ā 

Itā€™s like going to work and dealing with our programmers and they say I do not see the problem ā€˜all you have to do is and then this and then you do this and then hold your leg up in the air and then put your hands over your headā€™ ā€” then you can run this piece of software. Ā Ugh most end users do not want to do those extra steps in the consumer marketplace let alone any market. Ā If XP wants to just stay with the Windows environment. Ā They should put a disclaimer on the box and website that in bold letters says Ā ā€˜Before you buy we only support Windows based Machines for updates, but you can do these extra steps to run from a Mac on your ownā€™ Ā bet they lose some sales. Ā šŸ˜‚Ā 

What year is it?

Well I ran out of likes.... anyone want to lend me some?Ā šŸ˜„

I get what you're saying, @Jeff McClendon. I need to get into native gold hunting with a detector. I have a Gold Bug 2, Nox 800, and the D2 (which I know needs the update for that), but when I get into the hills I just end up using a pan and sluice.Ā šŸ˜

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Until the update possibly solves a couple of issues.......I can't do that yet.

What situations do you feel it is not yet ready for?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Gold mode, poor sensitivity to sub 0.5 gram targets in every mode and the down averaging of non-ferrous IDs when targets are near iron or other non-ferrous targets.

I only have the 9ā€ coil also. Where I detect the Nox 900, Nox 800 and the Legend are just deeper but they are using 11ā€ coils. The 900 and 800 are as deep using the 10X5 Coiltek.

If XP can fix the issues I mentioned, I would consider keeping Deus 2 long-term and getting an 11ā€ coil.

Ā 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Absolutely, XP did botch one of the earlier updates with a loss of SW configuration/version control.Ā  Lives were not on the line like with safety critcal sofware (think Boeing 737 Max), but that is still a big no no.Ā  They had about 3 different versions of 0.6 in the wild with different features and bugs, were not updating the minor ver # on each release (i.e., 0.6 > 0.61 > 0.62) so they all had the same version numbers but different "born on" dates (the only way you could tell the difference but you had to take a deep dive into the "about the SW" menus on the remote to tell the difference).Ā  In the process they broke something important from a performance standpoint (I think there was a depth hit on certain modes or something) and there was no way to roll back.Ā  I had unwittingly updated to get one of the desired features, thinking I would be able to roll back if necessary and got screwed just before a week-long digging trip.Ā  Borrowed someone else's D2 for the trip while XP was sorting it out.Ā  I think they "re-learned" this lesson from some Deus 1 false starts, addressed the causes, and are proceeding cautiously as a result.

Point being, that this upcoming release will likely be a "final" production release (i.e., non-Beta ver 1.X), will likely have several new (though likely minor) enhancements and bug fixes and I really want them to do thorough regression testing to make sure they don't break stuff that is presently working well.

Gary Black popped on this thread earlier and basically confirmed it's coming but obviously could not give us a precise release window because testing always comes with uncertainty as bugs are uncovered, addressed and re-tested.Ā  It's an arduous, iterative and often painful process that is not appreciated by those who have not experienced it.

Would like to have it sooner rather than later myself, but definitely not before it's fully baked.Ā Ā 

In the mean time, it's not holding me back in the least...

Ā 

Dang Chase, what a great explanation! Ā  No way I could have replied with such an informative and fact filled post! Thanks!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NCtoad said:

Point being, that this upcoming release will likely be a "final" production release (i.e., non-Beta ver 1.X), will likely have several new (though likely minor) enhancements and bug fixes and I really want them to do thorough regression testing to make sure they don't break stuff that is presently working well.

Ugh>>> 8 months late.Ā  I am in Meh mode.Ā