A Conversation On The Beach

Dancer

I was working wet sand when some people walked by.    Bringing up the rear, a young lady wearing a head cover. After the routine questions about the machine. I asked her what country she was from.    Oman, a peaceful country in the Middle East she added.   Here's where it gets interesting.    In her country she doesn't need a machine. You can find Gold all over the place.    Best place, Women's Restrooms.   Than along the sidewalks, parking lots.  Gold is inexpensive over there so it's lost all the time. she claims.     Girl is going to college in Virginia, had no accent and spoke fluently.   Looking at my finds pouch with 31 cents , I said maybe I ought to fly over there for a week to hunt. "That would be very expensive," she said.       I'm thinking that might be the least of the problems.

• Like 3

There's no place like home.

• Like 2

As in never heard from again....?

• Like 1

See that's a big problem, being Kidnapped, Imprisoned, disappeared or even beheaded.  "Oman is a Peaceful country" is what she said. Huh?    So it's not Iran, Iraq, or the Stan.    But , compare it to Hunting Central Park in New York.   Feel safe about that?   Ain't going there either.    How about the guys who left St. Louis in 1849, less than $20 in their pouch, holes in their shoes.   Chasing Gold in that Great Gold Rush.  They had to dodge bandits, Indians, Card sharks, crooked guides, no water and on and on.  The American Spirit.    Not long after that, the dash to the Yukon.   Harsh winters high prices, poor clothing.     So what happened to Go big or stay at home ?    Take a chance big guy. Or how lucky do you feel?     Midalake might be right, about guys already over there.     Hunting.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/25/2023 at 4:54 PM, Denny said:

How inexpensive is gold in Oman?

It’s 746 an ounce in Omanian Rial currency that equals $1937 an ounce here in the US.

According to the lady, the native peoples of Oman are so rich from oil most wouldn't stoop to pick up a gold ring.   This is hard for us to wrap our brains around.     Also practically all labor is hired from near by Yemen.  But all this and more is on the Official Oman web site.     So in the end , for myself I can't travel to Oman and Mexico is out of the question

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2022 at 8:02 AM, Dancer said:

I was working wet sand when some people walked by.    Bringing up the rear, a young lady wearing a head cover. After the routine questions about the machine. I asked her what country she was from.    Oman, a peaceful country in the Middle East she added.   Here's where it gets interesting.    In her country she doesn't need a machine. You can find Gold all over the place.    Best place, Women's Restrooms.   Than along the sidewalks, parking lots.  Gold is inexpensive over there so it's lost all the time. she claims.     Girl is going to college in Virginia, had no accent and spoke fluently.   Looking at my finds pouch with 31 cents , I said maybe I ought to fly over there for a week to hunt. "That would be very expensive," she said.       I'm thinking that might be the least of the problems.

Not sure what the punishment for prowlers in the womens bathroom might be 😂 

• Haha 2