AQ Impulse, Depth Testing, Emi Rejection Issue

2 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

If this is, I would say it looks good. Rarely do I go lower than 9. something that seems to work both of my AQs. If it is noisy at 10, I'll go up with the delay..calm the machine down. than go back down to 10 which is what I run most of the time. And this takes about 15/20 minutes. (looks like I am using 12 delay, going up to  15/20 than back to 12) .......Also the AQ is a warm up machine, the threshold climbs the first 15+ minutes, after adjusting, (lowering) it steadies.

xxdd.jpg

Joe,

Are the numbers in red actual delay “values”.

I have to admit that the delay range on the AQ is bewildering. How could a designer/engineer have a full control rotation only providing such a short range. Having 0.5 increments is pointless…..I’d be surprised if a user would be able to hear much of a difference in the “green” range……just as you suggested. This AQ has me scratching my head on a regular basis 🤯

10 hours ago, Tony said:

Joe,

Are the numbers in red actual delay “values”.

I have to admit that the delay range on the AQ is bewildering. How could a designer/engineer have a full control rotation only providing such a short range. Having 0.5 increments is pointless…..I’d be surprised if a user would be able to hear much of a difference in the “green” range……just as you suggested. This AQ has me scratching my head on a regular basis 🤯

The picture that Joe shows is a proposed change in delays for the newer ( not released ) unlimited addition with several other changes such as drop in batteries. I do not believe that machine will ever be released. The AQ limited out in the wild now has the following delays. (7) (7.5) (8) (8.5) (9) (9.5) (10) (10.5) (11) (15). The (15) delay was a last minute change after all the face plates had been printed and is shown as (11.5) on the face plate but is actually (15). 

• Like 3

I was noticing I was having to turn down the threshold a few times. It had me wondering - is this due to battery voltage dropping or my brain? Also I would come across areas where there was tone with every swing in one direction (see other thread) and I needed the ATS to go to 12 to get rid of it (there is no 12). Although the tx power and depth do seem to be regulated over the battery range I do experience the detector behavior change as the battery nears its low threshold. It gets noisier and has spurious bursts. As the OBN battery and stock have different discharge curves you may notice this more with the stock than the OBN. No big deal, just something I notice.

I really dislike having to change batteries in the field. The connector pins just seem to really want to corrode in the salt environment. I keep the spare battery in a ziplock bag but this is not good enough.  I wrap every connection with electrical tape so I have to remove this and save it to be reapplied. The detector may be wet from previous hunting. Just not good - but I shouldn’t be trying to hunt for over 5 hours when I’m not finding much…

I hope to add an APTX LL tx setup so I can eliminate the wired headphones. The stock phones are susceptible to wind noise and could stand to be a bit louder.

10 hours ago, Carolina said:

The picture that Joe shows is a proposed change in delays for the newer ( not released ) unlimited addition with several other changes such as drop in batteries. I do not believe that machine will ever be released. The AQ limited out in the wild now has the following delays. (7) (7.5) (8) (8.5) (9) (9.5) (10) (10.5) (11) (15). The (15) delay was a last minute change after all the face plates had been printed and is shown as (11.5) on the face plate but is actually (15). 

Thanks for that information. Fisher finally makes a smart decision with the design but as you mention, it may never reach production which would be a great shame. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a detector introduced to the market that shows such potential but falls down in so many areas…..who knows, maybe something can be salvaged as the hard work has been done and the problems recognised as fixable.

• Like 1

No rain today and I bought another microphone with no ANR chip so you can hear what I hear now. I’m using the 12.5” coil and stock battery this time. A little weaker in depth perhaps from earlier tries at this. I surely don’t see myself digging at things this weak.

• Like 1

It was interesting that the ANR chip in the bluetooth lapel mic I had tried before this (no posted video) would catch the target response while killing a lot of the threshold tone.  Kind of like the volume low level gain function in the CTX3030.

• The title was changed to AQ Impulse, Depth Testing, Emi Rejection Issue
On 1/12/2023 at 12:18 PM, eclipse said:

Where can I find extra coils for the AQ? Are those even available for sale? I only have  the large stock coil.

I bought mine used and it came with the 2nd coil.  Call Fisher and ask for Art - see if he can help you.

20 hours ago, ALEXANDRE TARTAR said:

Hello, a video today fore you, look the speed of swing

Now you can change the headphone if you want 2'' more on the US nickel and obtain a better audio volume response

Thank You!