AQ Impulse, Depth Testing, Emi Rejection Issue

Just commenting on the original  topic, all of the air tests I've seen to not do the AQ justice in salt water.  16" is V LF depth and not  the reason  we look to pulse machine for extra performance.  Having gotten a few bugs out of this machine and developed a few precautionary measures (Co-Axe Seal, high quality dielectric grease to keep any corrosion out) this machine is a smooth performer in salt, that has no problem hitting targets at much greater depths than any VLF.   These are not the ultra faint threshold changes I've seen in air tests either.   It's a question of running a balanced signal and using the coil well with smooth, even sweep speed and flat axis.  Having tried to run a TDI in salt many times--the AQ is much more stable and can be run down at prime gold delay ranges.  This machiine continues to amaze me with the many things its capable of.  

cjc

• Like 5

Thanks Clive…..what sort of salt “conditions” are we talking about. You know I like to have 3 foot waves breaking over me and with headphones stripped off my head every minute or two…….and then go looking for my scoop in the whitewater 🙂

None of this boring millpond conditions for me……..gimme fast water any day .

Maybe I could take my surfboard next time and mix the two hobbies together.

HH

Tony

8B81E7EB-6CDB-41D5-98D7-C4276ED23ADD.jpeg

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Tony said:

Thanks Clive…..what sort of salt “conditions” are we talking about. You know I like to have 3 foot waves breaking over me and with headphones stripped off my head every minute or two…….and then go looking for my scoop in the whitewater 🙂

None of this boring millpond conditions for me……..gimme fast water any day .

Maybe I could take my surfboard next time and mix the two hobbies together.

HH

Tony

Aaahaaa--I always  say that when people are surfing past you maybe time to quit.  Ya, the AQ does sing a bit when  the surge goes over.  Im guessing that up at 11 / 15 uSc it would smooth out though.  I run at 10.5 pretty good.   Take a big elastic or several tied) and wear it around the phones.  Might save your cable sometime.  

big waves dislodge gold it's the price we pay.

cjc

• Like 1

I don’t find much in calm water…….pretty sure that the sand has had time to settle and bury the gold. I have one of those neoprene headbands which works well in securing the phones or use the bone-phone (Sea Hunter) if it’s not too windy. 

I like to sit behind the 2-3 foot breakers and then duck in behind the whitewater……..with one eye on what’s coming in next 😖

The “impact zone” is where the gold is…..either lost there directly from swimmers or moved/uncovered there by Mother Nature.

Love it……have that area to myself as no one else is crazy as me. The Nox’s get munched up as well and leak from water impact 👍

• Like 1

My goal was to just verify my AQ was performing as well as it should.  I have a CTX that had issues with both 11” and 17” coils, which ML replaced, because it didn’t have the air test performance that others stated.  I agree depth can be better for in ground targets. It’s obvious with OBN’s videos as in ground was doing better than his air tests. His air tests were better than mine though - he might have had replaced his headphones by then though. The difference though might be only an inch or two. I’ve decided it’s not a big deal to me but I do enjoy testing stuff regardless.

I don’t recall really noticing a difference in behavior with different delay settings. I guess it’s because I’m not looking for whispers and I’m not taking it past knee depth.  It’s been asked about obtaining the 8” coil. If you have one, when do you use it and why?

1 hour ago, bklein said:

I don’t recall really noticing a difference in behavior with different delay settings.

I find that noticeable delay settings are probably in the order of around the 5uS mark……that is to say, a delay of 15uS is fairly distinct from a delay of 10uS but a delay of 10uS v 13uS may sound about the same. With the extremely limited delay range of the AQ then I’m not surprised by your impressions and it would appear that the first 180 degrees of rotation of the delay knob doesn’t really do much at all in regards to “useful audio”.

It takes quite a while to learn to hear the subtlties of  the AQ's delay  ranges.  Down below 10 there's this background noise that is not the machine performing at it's best, intterfering with the smoothest threshold possible.  In still water these low settings might be viable but not in my conditions.  With a pulse, nothing is more important than a smooth threshold.  Handling  the coil is easier at these higher levels.  As with all signal  balancing challenges, practice hearing the extremes.

cjc

• 10 months later...
On 1/12/2023 at 3:18 PM, eclipse said:

Where can I find extra coils for the AQ? Are those even available for sale? I only have  the large stock coil.

The small 8" is  available from the factory. This is  a fantastic  coil that also helps  you to  really  understand the performacne of this detector. 

cjc

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 9:41 PM, Tony said:

I don’t find much in calm water…….pretty sure that the sand has had time to settle and bury the gold. I have one of those neoprene headbands which works well in securing the phones or use the bone-phone (Sea Hunter) if it’s not too windy. 

I like to sit behind the 2-3 foot breakers and then duck in behind the whitewater……..with one eye on what’s coming in next 😖

The “impact zone” is where the gold is…..either lost there directly from swimmers or moved/uncovered there by Mother Nature.

Love it……have that area to myself as no one else is crazy as me. The Nox’s get munched up as well and leak from water impact 👍

this isa trick I use too to duck past the intense break  zone.  gotta  watch that undertow and those combers though...😁

cjc

4 hours ago, cjc said:

The small 8" is  available from the factory. This is  a fantastic  coil that also helps  you to  really  understand the performacne of this detector. 

cjc

I have one but never tried it. I thought too small for general hunting in beaches. Where should it be used and what is good about it?