GPZ 7000 Weight Question

I'm trying to lighten up the GPZ 7000 by using the lighter CTX 3030 LI-ION battery and using the 12 Z-search coil without skid plate. Looking like around 5.8 pounds so far, not to bad compare to the stock configuration. Has anyone found any other ways to lighten this detector through aftermarket shafts or modifications? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RONS DETECTORS MINELAB said:

using the 12 Z-search coil without skid plate

I would not recommend it. The skid plate of the NF12 will not add much to the weight but will protect the coil. I would not swing a USD 1200 coil without skid plate.

GC

• Like 3

yup, 8" X-coil, 835 grams of raw small gold horse power!  And that includes the skid plate.

The downside is you need an adapter, not easy to come by in the USA so likely not an option for you.

IMG_20201017_170045.thumb.jpg.39f00f8f8722d508d385039c26e6395d.jpg

Either way, one of my favourite setups, It really feels so light with this coil on it.

• Like 3

Best way to lighten a 7000 is to remove the coil, control box and stems and buy a 6000! :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

yup, 8" X-coil, 835 grams of raw small gold horse power!  And that includes the skid plate.

The downside is you need an adapter, not easy to come by in the USA so likely not an option for you.

That looks like it would be very light, it's sad that is not an easy option here in the U.S...

That's got to make the GPZ-7000 close to the GPX-6000 with the 14" DD in weight comparison.

9 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

I would not recommend it. The skid plate of the NF12 will not add much to the weight but will protect the coil. I would not swing a USD 1200 coil without skid plate

UPC tape has been my preferred option to the skid plate to protect that investment.

8 hours ago, jrbeatty said:

Never used skid plates.

Epoxy resin "Hardfacing" far lighter and costs considerably less-

Yep, that is the best way to go on heavy detectors.

Looks like 5.8 pounds is probably the lightest this detector can become minus X-coils.

I'm going to try to come up with some other mods as I really like the 7000 at 5.8 pounds, but would prefer a little less burden on my body.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aureous said:

Best way to lighten a 7000 is to remove the coil, control box and stems and buy a 6000! :biggrin:

I'm hoping Minelab has this in the works for us and they will call it the GPZ Featherweight with 50% more power to the coil.

• Like 1

Yes, 8" Coil with CTX battery it hardly feels heavier on the arm than the 6000 but you still get the benefits of the GPZ.

• Like 1

Use the supplied harness & bungy & the detector weighs nothing. Just hangs off your shoulder with the weight going down the built in "hip stick" to your hip, then just the effort of swinging & poking & prodding. Also, use the supplied swing arm & life becomes all that much easier again. Gives you much better & more precise coil control, very important. Not to mention the ease & control it gives in detecting the sides of washes, mullock heaps & areas beyond horizontal.

While the 6000 is way lighter, & feels like it in its construction, It doesn't have the raw depth & power of the GPZ. That I know for a fact.

D4G

• Like 3

At this early stage of this old codgers Axiom use, I will back what AU says, "get a 6000" but another alternative "get an Axiom". With the Axiom you have the control settings + as per the GPZ and like the 6000 it is deadlier on sub grammers and much lighter stock standard.

• Like 3