GPZ 7000 Weight Question

12 hours ago, Sourdough Scott said:

How would one go about doing this epoxy? I would be interested in seeing some pictures or videos on this process.  

Soughdough:

Basically paint/smear epoxy resin (such as "Araldite") over principal wear surfaces on the coil (edges, sides, bottom's where needed)

Here's a 22" CC to illustrate:

IMG_20221229_173703.thumb.jpg.096cbd54903182e833bdbd8a77b228f7.jpg

Not much wear on big coils so an edge bead suffices in this case.

A smaller well scrubbed coil may require more surfaces coated. 

If excess wear is detected simply smear more on 😉

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

I have swung the Minelab GPZ 7000 from day one with the stock 14x13 searchcoil, but the moment the new NF 12" Z Searchcoil arrived here in the US, I purchased one and haven't taken it off.  I might loose a tiny bit of depth, but it made the GPZ 7000 useable to me all day without any assistance (harness, bungee, swing arm and such).  It's super light and super sensitive and much easier to pinpoint with.  

Now that being said, the new NF 17x13 GPZ coils are just about to arrive and now I have to try them out.  I never cared much for the stock 19", so the NF 17x13 might be the ticket for more deeper gold.  

I personally don't think the smaller CTX battery is the solution for a lighter GPZ.  I found it to throw off the counter balance effect, so prefer the standard or stock battery to add a bit more weight on the back end of the detector.  

End users light consider the use of a good custom harness/backpack, bungee cord, swing arm or going with a small searchcoil like the NV 12" Round Z Search or potentially a X-coil.  

• Like 6

It is possible to make a cable that connects the control head to the pod placed on your waist. You’d still need the Minelab harness though to hold the weight. Your swing mass would be less so better on the right arm tendons.

• Like 2

A little known fact that may help out: one of the most influential scientists in history, Michael Faraday, who discovered the principles underlying electromagnetic induction to which modern metal detectors owe their existence, also invented a gravity balancing device in the year 1824. Once attached, this device will effectively render the GPZ 7000 completely weightless, eliminating the need for a harness and bungee system. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, bklein said:

It is possible to make a cable that connects the control head to the pod placed on your waist. You’d still need the Minelab harness though to hold the weight. Your swing mass would be less so better on the right arm tendons.

Back in the early days of detecting gold we used to hip mount our detectors on waist belt, with an extension cable going from that to the coil shaft, unfortunately if I`d taken a photo of such I cannot find it, otherwise I`d attach to illustrate.

• Like 1

Here’s a thread with pics of such:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use the 5000 harness with the solid clip hip-stick and a bungee loop.  The loop is placed just around the handle, below the screen.   The detector, battery and coil hang from the bungee 'weight less' to my arm.  It easily adjusts to a slope to keep the coil level to the ground.  I just use my arm to move the coil.  In my other hand is my pick.  I remove the bungee when I start digging a target.  I've been doing this for years without a problem and I now do it with my CTX on the rare occasion that I use it these days.

I should take a picture and it would all be simple.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lunk said:

A little known fact that may help out: one of the most influential scientists in history, Michael Faraday, who discovered the principles underlying electromagnetic induction to which modern metal detectors owe their existence, also invented a gravity balancing device in the year 1824. Once attached, this device will effectively render the GPZ 7000 completely weightless, eliminating the need for a harness and bungee system. 

This is way more funnier than my post on selling everything.  🤣 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sourdough Scott said:

This is way more funnier than my post on selling everything.  🤣 

It's your own fault, SS, as it is your hilarious posts that inspire my forays into ridiculousness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3