Layered Minnesota Rock Sample

Greetings!

I am wondering if someone can help me identify the types of rock/minerals that compose the attached sample? The sample was found along the NE shore of Lake Winnibigoshish in north-central Minnesota. The sample was found near the shoreline (steeply sloping shoreline); the shoreline is almost exclusively sandy, and the lake is relatively shallow in this area (6' deep about 100 yards from shore). 

The sample itself measures about 4"x6"x2". Please let me know if you have a good idea of what I am looking at, and/or if you can recommend a good resource to learn more about the sample/composition.

I appreciate your support and consideration!

Best,
Matt

IMG_2709.jpg

IMG_2710.jpg

IMG_2711.jpg

IMG_2713.jpg

The gray bands look like chert, but hard to say for sure without doing some tests. The other bands look like sandstone.

It is a sedimentary rock.  I think with chert and sandstone too and maybe mud stone. It is bedded with different composition on the layers.  Chert is generally from silicosis ooze.  It looks like some sole marks, which are a sedimentary structure, in the first picture. Please post a picture of the rock wet on the same surface as the first photo.

Saw marks and fracture, I'm not entirely convinced it's chert unless a knife couldn't scratch it - could be calcite too. Acid will tell you if the whitish bands are sandstone or limestone (sandstone won't react with hydrochloric acid). Also looks a bit shaley in places.

Do those two tests and you'll ID the constituents, then look at a bedrock (not surficial, it'll all be glacial till) geologic map of MN/Manitoba/Ontario, read the formation descriptions, and might be able to figure out where it came from. 

• Like 1