My Magic Headphones..

Ha! I had the same experience today. Even had one guy start showing me videos of him paragliding. Half an hour later I was finally back to detecting. By the time I got into the groove, there were so many people and kids screaming and surf waves crashing I gave up. Found a couple keepers I'll post later. Ugh, I think I'll wear headphones tomorrow! Glad to read your post!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh my! 1

3 hours ago, matt said:

Ugh, I think I'll wear headphones tomorrow!

Please let us know how you got on.. It'll be good if your headphones also have the voodoo.. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

I can't stand people hovering over me expecting a treasure chest to be hauled out of the sand

Just point to another area and say that you have to come back with a bigger shovel to uncover a chest over there. Just don't point in the same direction twice so you have a chance to go over that area later.

Good luck on your next hunt and stay safe out there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Eric it was  like that on the gold fields when most prospector started to using the brand-new Whites and Garrett VLF (late 1970s early 80) and the holes took 10 minutes or more to dig, with a crowd of newbies watch you dig up a ground noise. ☺️ The earphones were a must in the early days even on the beach with kids wanting to dig up your treasure, A hundred of them fighting to get it first. I must admit I had one kid at a certain beach do the work and keep the non $ coins. As a matter of fact I could not get on the sand for more than 5 minutes and he would appear from nowhere. I found out a lot later that he was the only child of a single Mother so those coins were appreciated I'm sure.

• Like 5

True story.....a guy I used to know in the detector club I was in back in the 80's, was also a keen beach detectorist and got sick of people wasting his time also......so he painted with white-out the words "F%#K OFF!" on his huge headphones! Worked equally as well as having a pet monkey throwing sh*t at them..... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Here are a couple more:1873290618_A13usaonutL._AC_CLa_21402000_81uNWHibbeL.png_00214020000_00.02140.02000.0_UL1500_.thumb.jpeg.5e202459b78591fa97e7fa8c1cdf0c4f.jpeg51ik1PZkRzL._AC_.thumb.jpg.28f077c16436d64d69562611daddca89.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

It was then I discovered my headphones have magic powers.. Even though there were quite a few people on the beach already, they all gave me a very wide berth.. There was something about my headphones that prevented them from coming close..

I never detect without headphones. Yes, it does help keep people away. So does not making eye contact. If someone persists at calling out, I will at some point look up and very loudly say "I can't hear you well" [pointing to my headphones]

I hunt in Mexico. so, another trick I use is when someone English speaking asks a question, I respond in Spanish No habla English>>>>I do the reverse for Spanish speaking people. 

Also thinking of getting a shirt printed up that says> I have COVID. 

• Haha 2

some great ideas here ^^^

Headphones seem to have much less effect for me ?😢

"Did I find anything good ??"   I make them repeat it after I take off the HPs ......

"I sure did , today I got 17 gold rings and 9 of them have diamonds ! Wanna see ?" 😲

Then I pull some crusty zincolns or some other junk out of my pocket and say "Here ya go ! " And drop them in their hand . Then walk away putting the cans back on.

It took me a while to get all the details worked out but now it's 90% effective.

A little one I met and reported about on here a while back changed my mind about one thing.   I don't do it for the kids  anymore . Instead..

"I sure did !" and re-distribute the pull tabs and zincs . , sometimes a clad quarter if it's all I have....  and sorry mommy , don't try to make them throw it away. It won't go well for you .  I usually make them honorary pirates before I hand out the booty.......Arrrrrrr. 

Once in a while one of them won't go back to mom after that , but they all get recalled as I get further away...

Would ya expect any less from me ?😜 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2