Garrett ATX Vs Axiom

Yellowstone

I have very many hours on both detectors. The Axiom is basically a massively improved ATX. The Axiom is half the weight, and detects gold better across the board under all conditions except fully submerged. Axiom coils cost half as much since you don’t have to buy an entire new lower rod you don’t need with every coil, and at launch there are already more Axiom coils than ATX coils, with more on the way. The only thing an ATX does better is not short out when held underwater, and few prospectors seriously need a fully submersible detector. But the main thing is the Axiom simply detects gold better.

• Like 7

On 12/28/2022 at 8:35 PM, Yellowstone said:

Thanks, Steve.  Had just run across a great deal on the ATX but looks like I’ll save up a bit longer for the Axiom.

I sold my ATX, of which I really liked (except for the weight), and I bought an Axiom, and glad I did! I'm counting the days to get out and really use it in the fields, as It's been raining steadily here in Oregon. So far, I have put on an anti-scratch screen cover and bought a head cover. The entire shiny face will be susceptible to scratching, or marring from dirt on the fingers, as I have seen on some YouTube videos. Just my preference to keep things looking good (taking into account what I paid for it). Wait for the Axiom!

• Like 4

I sold my ATX (because of the weight) after getting the AQ Impulse for hunting the beach.  Although the AQ is no slouch, I seemed to get along better with ATX.  

Im looking forward to a few more Axiom beach reviews before jumping in with both feet.  In the meantime, the gold will be safe in the ground!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellowstone said:

I sold my ATX (because of the weight) after getting the AQ Impulse for hunting the beach.  Although the AQ is no slouch, I seemed to get along better with ATX.  

Im looking forward to a few more Axiom beach reviews before jumping in with both feet.  In the meantime, the gold will be safe in the ground!

I had actually planned on hunting Tahoe a lot with my Axiom this fall but winter hit with a vengeance and that was that. I've actually got a 13" mono coil that I am going to fill with epoxy for water hunting, but am hoping that either Garrett or Detech will give us a water coil or two by spring. The existing coils are just too buoyant, and injecting one with epoxy like I am doing is not what we really want. Anyway, it will be awhile before I hit the beach. I was thinking of popping over to the coast, but snow in the passes is not making that look like a good idea either. Oh well, soonish......

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I had actually planned on hunting Tahoe a lot with my Axiom this fall but winter hit with a vengeance and that was that. I've actually got a 13" mono coil that I am going to fill with epoxy for water hunting, but am hoping that either Garrett or Detech will give us a water coil or two by spring. The existing coils are just too buoyant, and injecting one with epoxy like I am doing is not what we really want. Anyway, it will be awhile before I hit the beach. I was thinking of popping over to the coast, but snow in the passes is not making that look like a good idea either. Oh well, soonish......

I've been over Donner a few times. One time I sat idle for 4 hrs. 4x4 is a must. I would go back to Reno if ever I needed to chain-up. Chains and I don't get along.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hope Garrett does an update on the noise cancel. The ATX did better with the emi in my area. But It may possibly be because the Axiom is more sensitive than my ATX was. 

10 hours ago, rled2005 said:

I hope Garrett does an update on the noise cancel. The ATX did better with the emi in my area. But It may possibly be because the Axiom is more sensitive than my ATX was. 

There is no free lunch when it comes to EMI. It’s easy to eliminate - and the depth and sensitivity right along with it. So ATX is better with EMI and TDI really great. In general the less powerful machines will also be the best for dealing with EMI.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2