All Tdi's Are Not Equal

White's doesn't have a great track record when it comes to taking input, suggestions or criticism from qualified, experienced people and thats too bad. The company as well as us customers all end up loosing in the end. They lost their most talented engineer Dan Geyer and Jimmy was their best ambassador..... now he's gone too. Hopefully White's is just going through some growing pains which will smooth out eventually

4 hours ago, Reg said:

Hard Prospector,

I use the TDI and SL but that won't stop me from pointing out their weaknesses or limitations.  I prefer people know the truth and any solution available if there is a weakness.  In fact, I want people like John to point out what they see as weaknesses.  I just want that information to be as truthful as possible.  It is when people like John point out things that cures or corrections will come to light making a better detector in the long run.  

Unfortunately, the present management at White's and I no longer have any communications and, in my opinion, there is no one at White's who knows much about the TDI series or how to make it better.  Instead, I suspect they will scrap the present design if and when they come up with another rather than listen to dummies like me.  

Reg

Reg, I know that nower days you prefer a more relaxed work load and to be honest You are the only person on the planet who understands these machines to the last nut and bolt, personally I think you should be on a retainer because as warranty claims come in "And They Will" people are going to be stuffed and then what do we do just throw them away, you have been messing with these type of machines for close to 30 years maybe more and your  a resource White should be proud to have,

I see the TDI Pro has vanished from the product line and the only one listed now is the SL and with the Treasuremate series and the latest offering Whites appears to be heading in to the Hobby market in the true sense of the word and not the Prospecting /Serious user market, The GMT and the MXT are the last Hard Core machines that Whites make, This past year I have been buying up coils for them because they too are vanishing from the product list, I bought 2 more coils over the weekend, This shift in to making more entry level machine tells me all I need to know and it is like watching an old friend getting terminally ill,  And I am powerless to make it right because no one will listen,

You have always been there for Us Reg, and If I can help just call you know where to find me,

John. 

• Like 2

On May 31, 2016 at 6:50 PM, Reg said:

Hard Prospector,

I use the TDI and SL but that won't stop me from pointing out their weaknesses or limitations.  I prefer people know the truth and any solution available if there is a weakness.  In fact, I want people like John to point out what they see as weaknesses.  I just want that information to be as truthful as possible.  It is when people like John point out things that cures or corrections will come to light making a better detector in the long run.  

Unfortunately, the present management at White's and I no longer have any communications and, in my opinion, there is no one at White's who knows much about the TDI series or how to make it better.  Instead, I suspect they will scrap the present design if and when they come up with another rather than listen to dummies like me.  

Reg

That's a shame, because dollar for dollar, the TDI series are among the best PIs available. In my mind, the logical progression of the TDI SL would be to drop the electronics into a waterproof housing (similar to what was done with the MX-S). Keep the adjustable pulse delay, the target conductivity switch and bring back the T-Foot coil that the late Dan Geyer used to build. That would be one of the best saltwater beach set-ups available at any price.

If White's priced that package around $1,000 they would hit a home run! They already have the technology at their disposal. White's should be consulting with people, like Reg, who actually use this equipment in the field. There is no need to reinvent the wheel here. A few tweaks and some repackaging would take the TDI to a new level with minimal engineering costs.

• Like 2