Looking For A Compass 77 B Professional Detector

I bought a new one when I was in school 1972. It's a TR detector at 100 khz. l let mine go recently. It has no discrimination but it will not hit on nails. Goes about 6" deep.

There are better detectors now for that kind of hunting. Newer detectors have discriminate, tone break, notching etc.

Have you detected before?

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

That was true 45 years ago. Do you know something about the old TR detectors, or are you just going by something you heard? Because these detectors are obsolete dinosaurs by today's standards, with 1/4 the depth you might expect from even the least expensive new models. In fact, you will probably spend more to buy one of these then you would a new with warranty model. The capacitors dry out on these old things and it is not uncommon for them to simply die. Compass is out of business, so you are on your own getting it fixed if you have a problem. Bottom line unless you are a knowledgeable aficionado of old detectors and know exactly what you are getting into, I'd avoid doing this, and get something better. Like a Vanquish 340 for instance, which would blow away a 77B in every respect.

The old 100 kHz units did ignore nails, but so can modern machines, and with far more discrimination beyond that very basic ability. If you love digging shallow trash you'll love the 77B. And the ergonomics? Right out of the 70s = the worst.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/files/file/222-compass-1982-metal-detector-catalog/

compass-yukon-77b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well I have been detecting a few years but I have to admit I'm no expert I own a Equinox 800, a whites Spectrum XLT and a Fisher 75 special edition. I just saw a video and the guy was ranting about how good the 77b was for trashy areas. I am all ears here, and would  like you guys update me on whether or not my machines surpass the 77b which from the sounds of it they do.

• Like 1

Well rick I used to do a lot of detecting years ago with my old Whites Coinmaster IV and loved it then bought my Whites Spectrum XLT, did some with that but then for some reason just quit, mostly because its getting hard to find places to hunt, some of our county parks absolutely forbid detecting. I just recently tried to get them to hear me out on why in certain parks it should be allowed for historical reasons, but they gave me the soft brush off  Its going to take a serious group of detectorists to meet and explain the difference between  true hunters VS people that just want to tear up ground for some loose change.

• Like 3

I don't see any reason to use a Compass 77b Pro. I know the 77b goes thru nails like they are not there but I don't know if the 77b has separation in nails like that F75se has.

Hey Paul,

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about the places being banned from detecting! I've had that issue before, as many of us have! Hang in there, and don't let it get to you, and ruin a great hobby! There's always somewhere to detect!!!

As far as iron ignoring detecting goes, you already have some great machines! Hate to say, but that Compass is basically a wall hanger now, and may still be a fun distraction, but ancient for the reasons previously stated by those with much more experience than myself! 

Now, on the other hand, a few more modern machines that can do that well, but aren't new releases, or have a warranty, are Tesoro's! I have several, and love how simple and light they are! The Tejon is one of my favorites, as it has dual discs, and can still be found in new old stock on several online stores! 

Good luck, hope everything works in you favor!!🍀👍👍

• Like 1

Tejon one of my favorite detectors.

My wrist and forearm ache just thinking about detecting with my old 77. Upgraded decades ago and never felt nostalgic about ever hunting with that dinosaur again! You have one of the very best detectors in the world today with the Nox800. Use it, learn it, enjoy it.....

• Like 3