Looking For A Compass 77 B Professional Detector

11 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Hey Paul,

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about the places being banned from detecting! I've had that issue before, as many of us have! Hang in there, and don't let it get to you, and ruin a great hobby! There's always somewhere to detect!!!

As far as iron ignoring detecting goes, you already have some great machines! Hate to say, but that Compass is basically a wall hanger now, and may still be a fun distraction, but ancient for the reasons previously stated by those with much more experience than myself! 

Now, on the other hand, a few more modern machines that can do that well, but aren't new releases, or have a warranty, are Tesoro's! I have several, and love how simple and light they are! The Tejon is one of my favorites, as it has dual discs, and can still be found in new old stock on several online stores! 

Good luck, hope everything works in you favor!!🍀👍👍

Thanks I appreciate all the info I can get

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rick N. MI said:

I don't see any reason to use a Compass 77b Pro. I know the 77b goes thru nails like they are not there but I don't know if the 77b has separation in nails like that F75se has.

Thanks for all the thoughts I realize I am blowing money on detectors I really do not need.

Paul, you still might be able to pick up a Compass 77b Professional cheap. I sold mine that was working, about 4 years ago, for $50.00.  If you can find one cheap it would be fun to play with. 

One time, my  main detector was in for repair and the 77b was all I had and I took it out detecting with a buddy. It was fun. I was digging old toy cars and other stuff.

Sorry I was trying to discourage you on getting one. It is easy to use and fun to use an old detector sometimes.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm new to viewing forum posts, but NOT new as to detecting with 43 years under my belt. I started at 14 with a Bounty Hunter 840. Strange machine, because it went deeper than others of its kind. Turns out that the coil was the reason. How loosely or tightly and how much wire was used can determine some depth differences. A couple of years later, I got the DE-280 Outlaw. It didn't go as deep as my 840. I put the 840's coil on it as they were interchangeable. Boom, it went even deeper. Yes, I had to dig everything, but I was accustomed to the light tone change deep coins would emit.

My parents were Compass dealers in NY in the 70s and 80's. My mother had one of the first 5 Coin Magnums produced. It was such a new beast, that even the designers at Compass were unsure of all its capabilities. She MASTERED the machine and often fielded calls from Compass or reported back with updates.

In regard to the 77B... This machine was highly desired by enthusiasts that frequented hunts as its speed was unequaled. It can Iron Mask like others rarely could at that time. At get-togethers, owners would show off its speed by throwing a coin as hard as they could past the loop only to hear it blip.. Its 100khz single frequency, but can be tuned to find good stuff in less trashy fields.

I'm actually setting up a 77B right now and forgot if it took 3x 9v or 3x AA-4 packs.. That's how I stumbled on this thread. It takes 12 AA's...

If you want a 77B for primary shooting, I would say NO, unless it was used in low trashy conditions or if you were nugget hunting. I would HIGHLY recommend the Minelab Vanquish 440. Its a coin vacuum and the target ID is top-rate at a reasonable cost.

Happy Hunting...

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. Older detectors are still good but the real old ones are pretty much beyond use unless you want to reminisce with one.

For those of you who were subscribers to Western and Eastern Treasures Magazine, I wrote an article called "Detecting Through the Decades" for their December 2022 issue.   I actually hunted with a 77B Yukon that belonged to Reg Sniff.  Everything that has been said about the detector is true.  It was fun to use and did find the only silver of the day amongst all of us.

That's me on the far left with the 77B.

FYI I have kept it for use in sites that are saturated with nails.  It does have an uncanny ability to ignore the nails and still hit coins.  Steve is the guy who recommended that I include the detector in the article and I'm glad he did.  It does make me wonder if that old tech could be rejuvenated in a newer, non-TR detector. 

Bill

December 2022 cover jpeg.jpg

• Like 6

From what I gather from info and years of past experience is that:

The lower frequency, the BETTER at finding silver coinage and better depth too.
Couple that with today's machines capabilities and you get Teknetics Alpha 2000, Teknetics Patriot and the Simplex+.

All are single frequency with the advanced features of target id. The fact that you can threshold and ground balance these guys takes you back to the 80's with advanced electronics. I just scored a Simplex for $150 from someone who received as a gift, but just couldn't make it work. It'll be here on Tuesday the 7th. It's 12khz as opposed to 6.8-7.7 of the Compass.

I had my mothers Gold Star 1000 out against my sons Vanquish 440. He got 32 coins with 1 silver, 1 wheat and 1 silver ring. I got 19 coins with 1 silver, 8 wheats, and a boy scout buckle... No doubt he can cover more territory, but I believe I got the deeper stuff...

The firmware released last year for the Simplex makes it an entirely different machine than what was marketed prior. Have a friend in both Florida and the City that use it and make a killing in "fished out areas".

The Compass 77B runs at 100 kHz which was normal for the old TR detectors. But it’s not a frequency thing with the 77B versus the newest detectors. The lack of ground balance means you will lose 1/2 to 3/4 or more of the depth that you see in an air test. They are ok in low mineral ground. In high mineral ground you might only hit a quarter at two inches. And don’t let the 100 kHz frequency deceive you into thinking they would be good for nugget detecting. They won’t detect small gold nuggets sitting on the coil.

There is some mystique surrounding these machines and their see through capability in nails, but trust me, something like a Nokta Simplex completely blows these old detectors out of the water. I’m not saying that to discourage anyone from playing with one or disrespecting anyone who wants to use one. I just don’t want the normal 99% to think there really is any major reason to consider these old classics. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Steve,
Been reading your commentary here and there for a few years prior to joining.

Just for clarity, The Compass I meant was my mothers Gold Star 1000 that is 6.8Khz, not the 77B. I reread my post and can see how is can be misunderstood. There is no mystique about the 77B, IT CAN and DOES target mask. The 77B was used in hunts for its speed.

I honestly never liked the Yukon series with the exception of the Coin Hustler 1, though basic in every way, it works GREAT at the beach in saltwater and has no trouble finding gold. I saw them work consistently for several years. My dad sold a lot of them because one guy on the beach was "knocking them dead"...

I got the Simplex and had to tone it down to stop the excessive chatter. Ordered the SP22 Coil and will see how that goes.

Frank