Garrett Axiom Vs Minelab SDC 2300

I do not own nor have ever used either detector but I am considering both.  Other than price I know nothing.  Read a few older posts & reviews on the SDC 2300, it may be a better fit for the steep brush covered ravines of the Sierra west slopes along with the cracks and crevices in the drainages. Currently use a White TDI SL with a 10x5 folded mono coil. I have hear that the SDC 2300  8” mono coil is hot around the edges. I like the specs on the new Axiom overall but for me the current coil selection sucks. Both detectors fold up or slide up compact for packing.  The 2300 may be a bit on the heavy side compared to the Axiom but is manageable. Already have the Garrett Z-Lynk wireless transmitter plus the 1/4” receiver for my headphones. What has been your experience with either detector?

A lot of rain followed by a lot of snow fell out of that last storm system with more on the way. May turn out to be a good year for spring runoff.

Have Great New Years Day

13 hours ago, HardPack said:

I like the specs on the new Axiom overall but for me the current coil selection sucks.

The Axiom comes with either an 11” x 7” Mono/DD and 13” x 11” Mono/DD out of the box depending on the U.S. or International package you choose. A 16” x 14 “ Mono/DD is also available, so I don’t know what you mean by the coil selection sucking compared to the SDC 2300’s 8” hard-wired Mono with no other options from Minelab.

The SDC 2300 is an excellent easy to learn and use detector. There was a video from one of the Axiom testers where an Axiom and SDC 2300 were placed head to head against both hot rocks and small gold targets. The SDC was able to find all of the targets that the Axiom could and was able to balance out all of the magnetite found at the site, whereas some of the hot rocks still generated a target/overload signal on the Axiom. The Axiom would have been able to balance out those signals without a doubt, but the point of the video was to show the stability of the SDC without any user input.

The difference between the two detectors aside from the weight/ergonomics is that the SDC is a set and forget detector that may run into issues with ground it cannot manage. The Axiom, on the other hand, can be tuned to work wherever you plan to hunt, and it’s EMI handling is a direct port from the impressive capabilities of the Garrett ATX.

The Axiom has a future of upgrades that will eventually unlock its potential, the SDC 2300 is finished firmware/software/hardware that does what it was intended to do and will likely see no improvements at any point in the future.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, HardPack said:

I like the specs on the new Axiom overall but for me the current coil selection sucks.

2 hours ago, All_Metal_Mode said:

The Axiom comes with either an 11” x 7” Mono/DD and 13” x 11” Mono/DD out of the box depending on the U.S. or International package you choose. A 16” x 14 “ Mono/DD is also available, so I don’t know what you mean by the coil selection sucking compared to the SDC 2300’s 8” hard-wired Mono with no other options from Minelab.

At times I detect while crawling under dense brush on the sides of steep ravines often with seasonal drainage with a 10x5 coil mounted on either a VLF or PI detector.  At times the Axiom 13x11 DD or mono would work in open terrain but would be difficult to maneuver while on my knees in the confines of the brush. The Axiom 11x7 mono may get me by until an after market 10x5 mono comes online for the Axiom.  Provided the coil sensitivity extends out from the front tip and side edges for detecting crevices with the coil on edge. If not the current Axiom coil selection and perhaps the after market would remain in the box. That would really “suck” after paying $3995 for the Axiom then another $ 350 plus for an insensitive aftermarket 10x5.

The SDC 2300 fits the tight space, shallow, small nugget requirement but is restricted to the 8 “ mono  coil unless I am willing to void the ML warranty. However, the “hot tipped” SDC 2300 would see plenty of action until the snakes leave the den and I head for the flats needing a Axiom 13x11 DD. 

Thanks for the feed back.

I have not been able to hold an Axiom but I will take the word of others on here that its ergonomics and weight are as good or slightly better than my GPX 6000.

I have owned two SDC 2300s. I am no weakling (5' 11"  205 lbs) and have worked out all my life. The SDC 2300 for me, is a very heavy, unwieldy 5.7 lbs whereas the GPX 6000 is a very lightweight feeling 4.1 lbs with the Coiltek 10X5.

I also hunt on my knees a lot at 10,000' elevation in between boulders and bushes on mountainsides. Never again will I use the SDC 2300 at any of those locations. Just my experience.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

have owned two SDC 2300s. I am no weakling (5' 11"  205 lbs) and have worked out all my life. The SDC 2300 for me, is a very heavy, unwieldy 5.7 lbs whereas the GPX 6000 is a very lightweight feeling 4.1 lbs with the Coiltek 10X5.

The SDC just dropped as an option. Unless I hit a pocket the GPX 6000 plus 10x5 coil is way beyond my budget. Hopefully, someone with an Axiom 11x7 mono coil can test the tip & edges 90 degrees out with a nickel and give us some feedback.
Thanks

These are two very different detectors that are almost impossible to be compared. The SDC is a specialized machine designed for shallow gold in mineralized soil, and its timings (MPF) are specifically made for these applications. Think of it as a PI-GB2 that is super robust and also great for hiking (since foldable). Albeit outdated and clunky, it remains a workhorse for me in certain terrain types and it is hard to beat there. The Axiom is a much more modern and versatile machine (disclaimer: I don't own one). No question in my mind that the Axiom would be the better choice as an all-round PI if this would be your only detector. But the SDC remains very effective in certain circumstances, and I continue to be in love with it. I hope a next gen. one will come out soon!

GC

• Like 8

3 hours ago, All_Metal_Mode said:

The Axiom would have been able to balance out that signal without a doubt, but the point of the video was to show the stability of the SDC without any user input.

IMO....the key word here is stability.  Stability is why I parted ways with the GPX6000 and kept the old warhorse, cumbersome, built like a tank and reliable 2300, it just works. Never used an Axiom and really don't use PI much anyways so the 2300 fits my PI needs when I need a PI and in my area(s) it runs smooth all day long without any little fits....jmo's

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

But the SDC remains very effective in certain circumstances, and I continue to be in love with it. I hope a next gen. one will come out soon!

No doubt Minelab knows they currently fill the gap between the ATX and Axiom with the SDC 2300. Even if they decide to upgrade the SDC and we won’t be posting about until this time next year or the year after. I can see the appeal of the utility of the detector but at this point, with the Axiom collapsing to a packable 25”, Garrett could fill that gap with a single 10x5 coil offering. 

The SDC-2300 would be the best choice if working in creeks and rivers due to it's ability to be submerged.  It also compacts really nice if needing to put it in a backpack for hike in areas (compacts to 15.5 x 8.5 inches) and is very user friendly to use. The SDC does have edge sensitivity for putting the coil sideways in deep bedrock crevices. Minelab does offers a three year warranty verses the Garrett two year warranty. For dry land detecting the Axiom still has a rain proof control box. The Axiom does have an advantage over the SDC on deeper targets due to more timings and a lot more coil options. The Axiom is also about 1 1/2 pounds lighter with the smaller coils. The price difference, warranty, and the places you plan on using it are three factors to consider. 

• Like 5

On 1/1/2023 at 3:36 PM, Gold Catcher said:

But the SDC remains very effective in certain circumstances, and I continue to be in love with it. I hope a next gen. one will come out soon!

On 1/1/2023 at 7:03 PM, RONS DETECTORS MINELAB said:

The SDC does have edge sensitivity for putting the coil sideways in deep bedrock crevices. Minelab

On 1/1/2023 at 2:34 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

The SDC 2300 for me, is a very heavy, unwieldy 5.7 lbs

On 1/1/2023 at 3:39 PM, oneguy said:

and kept the old warhorse, cumbersome, built like a tank and reliable 2300, it just works.

Has anyone had an issue with the SDC 2300 feature “Automatic Ground Tracking” balancing out a target after multiple passes?

Plenty of information to think about, especially how I plan or actually use a detector.  Looking around, with the detectors I use the larger stock coils are sitting on a shelf after being replaced by some version of a 10x5 coil. From a wall hook hangs a detector backpack. “Built like a tank and reliable” …similar to a crew of a M48 A3 medium battle tank.

Here is another owner’s take on the ML SDC 2300.